m

(950 Posts)

This is the new minimalist/decluttering thread! I hope everyone likes the minimal title!

SlightlyItchyBraStrap Wed 05-Jun-13 07:33:48

Loving the new thread. I just made it onto the end of the last one. I continue to be inspired....

A few days ago I looked around my living room in despair, thinking why oh why does it feel like I am constantly tidying and decluttering this place but it never gets any easier to maintain? I suddenly realized that a huge part of the problem was that there were too many things that didn't have a designated space, so a lot of "tidying" was actually just moving things from one spot to another iyswim.

While my toddler napped I went into a decluttering frenzy. Everything that didn't have a place bit binned, put in the Freecycle box, or boxed and labeled in the garage. I also minimized the in-use items; for example, does ds' art station really need a massive box overflowing with scrap paper and 20 different kinds of drawing materials?? I put the extra stuff in a cupboard and left out only 1 small drawing pad, a box of crayons and a box of stickers.

In 2 hours the room looked like a different place!

The next couple of evenings, it only took 5 minutes to tidy the place up at the end of the day; ds loved his tidy little art station,dh very impressed also.....

Then,I went into labour....

It was so nice to be able to wander around having contractions in a clean, welcoming space. When my midwife arrived and saw there was some time to go she promptly lay down on the couch and took a nap; the couch that was no longer covered in piles of homeless items!

Now obviously I was not thinking,"oh lucky that stupid elephant isn't cluttering up that corner anymore" mid-contraction, but I do believe that the tidy space contributed to a feeling of calm.

Ds2 was born at home at 6 in the evening.... A healthy and relaxed little fellow!

We have been chilling here while dh took ds1 out... And again, so nice not to be surrounded by clutter. Just sitting in a pleasant space with my baby. I even loaded the dishwasher; it was literally the only clutter so I felt motivated to do it (and very proud of myself given that I currently have no core muscles).

Yay for late-pregnancy nesting instinct.

grin

GoofyIsACow Wed 05-Jun-13 10:05:31

Ahhh wow! Huge congratulations on the new baby and the decluttering grinslightlyitchy

NishiNoUsagi Wed 05-Jun-13 10:28:45

Marking my place despite not having done much grin
Congratulations everyone on any decluttering and babies!!

Slightlyitchy congratulations on the living room decluttering and mega congratulations on the results of the highly exhausting womb decluttering that followed - although I have some suspicions that the results of the second decluttering may mitigate against the the results of the first especially in about 14 years time ah well!

I now have a very clean and decluttered (and fixed) fridge-freezer. Freezer is currently totally empty but I will collect my frozen stuff from neighbours' freezer later on today. The rest of the kitchen is a tip! I am feeling tired and headachy and backachy having a much slower start to work than is ideal!

Ah well - onwards and upwards(ish)!

OnTheNingNangNong Wed 05-Jun-13 11:51:43

Congratulations Slightlyitchy grin

Boffin sounds like you're doing really well sorting through all those things, I hope you and DH can clear through the rest easily.

I am feeling really unwell today, my husband took my eldest to school so I just have to control DS2 and pick up DS1. I'm fighting waves of tiredness and nausea and Im quite upset I haven't got the energy to tidy up.

BoffinMum Wed 05-Jun-13 12:20:39

flowers Itchy!

hobnob57 Wed 05-Jun-13 13:00:21

Congrats to Itchy! Ds was an unexpected homebirth and it was fab. Sending you decluttered baby sleep vibes.

£35 for my decluttered jewellery!

harrietspy Wed 05-Jun-13 14:32:43

Congratulations, Itchy!

I'm procrastinating when I should be working on one of 3 different pieces of work so the decluttering is going quite well... wink wink The perils of self employment...

Sokmonsta Wed 05-Jun-13 14:33:12

Congratulations itchy. Ds1 was a planned home birth. We also planned on having the MW there...

New thread has been giving inspiration I see wink

Well so far I've put 3 boxes up in the loft of stuff that needs to be sorted, I have a box in the hall which is being filled and now the dc are back at school I am desperately clawing back some semblance of routine.

harriet You and me both on the procrastinating! Perils of self employment indeed! I'm not even doing anything very constructive!

<goes off muttering "must work!" "must work!">

clearsommespace Wed 05-Jun-13 16:01:53

I've had another busy spell recently so haven't been managing to tackle anything big like the boxes of photos etc. Also I'm a bit stuck because there are things we need to move around and shelves we need to put up etc but we can't because we are waiting on the electrician. One he's been, all those things can go into logical places and I will be able to more easily access the other stuff I need to sort through.

I did have a lightbulb moment reading through a thread on induction hobs. There is no point keeping ourwok: it doesn't work on our induction hob.

And I've revisited some of the things I've already done. It's surprising how much you can find to pass on second and third time round.

amigababy Wed 05-Jun-13 16:39:09

I just dropped off 2 large shopping bags of diet books at Scope. I've been diet and body obsessed for 30 years, despite not really being very overweight, or even losing any weight. Buying more and more books was part of it. And you know, getting rid wasn't half as hard as expected.

There are still a few on the shelf, throwing them out is, I think, a sign I'm letting go of this addiction / problem

IWillDoItInAMinute Wed 05-Jun-13 19:52:59

De-lurking for flowers for slightly had last 2 DCs at home - midwives were very relaxed too, eating sandwiches and napping!!

2 bin bags of DCs broken rubbish in bin today, can now see the top of their drawers grin

harrietspy Wed 05-Jun-13 20:57:05

So, ds1 has decided to pass his playmobil on to another family. He was really happy to let it go but I feel really sad about it... My little boy's growing up! He's off to high school in Sept and basically doesn't play with toys any more... (He'd basically be happy with a football).

But I am feeling unequivocally happy about prospect of losing playmobil collosseum. What was I thinking?! It's enormous, stupidly expensive and has been played with about 4 times...

ArtemisatBrauron Wed 05-Jun-13 21:23:00

slightly wow how lovely! congratulations! grin

hobnob57 Wed 05-Jun-13 23:15:51

Does anyone else find that their eye for clutter changes from day to day? Some days I get so overwhelmed by it and don't know where to start and other days I just don't see it and don't know where to start. So I've just printed off some checklists off Slow Your Home to see if I can solve this problem.
On the up side, two big parcels of baby stuff are being collected tomorrow for my friend.

Congratulations!

Well, I have the bug. Yesterday, my aim was the airing cupboard- I had already culled the towels and sheets, but had ended up with a load of junk. Ended up doing all the airing cupboard, and getting about three quarters of the way round my bedroom! Sorted my wardrobe, stored away winter clothes, got rid of loads of belts, handbags, pulled everything out, swept and mopped. Needs finishing today, got a DVD collection to go though, a bit more junk dotted around to clear up. Enjoying this! But it does mean I have roughly 3 binbags of clothes to get listed on Ebay this weekend sad

I love playmobil - a playmobil colloseum - Wow! I never had any as a child (slightly too old) but a friend's little brother had loads and we used to play with it help him!

I'm very tired today. Woke at about 1.30am and then tossed and turned until about 5.30am when I put ibuprofen gel on aching back and leg and ate some weetabix. Of course I then fell asleep and did not want to wake at 8.00am!!

Work is still getting in the way of decluttering, but I am sorting out little bits of work decluttering as I go along!

hobnob - I know exactly how you feel!

IWillDoItInAMinute Thu 06-Jun-13 11:13:47

Just reached into bedside drawer to find meds and came across my stash of DCs teeth

Have you kept yours? If so, do you plan to give them to them?

Keep or bin???

ArtemisatBrauron Thu 06-Jun-13 13:33:32

My mum kept ours and I am slightly blush to say that I chucked them when she gave them to me - I thought they were totally gross!

clearsommespace Thu 06-Jun-13 13:46:05

Oh yes, definitely chuck them. They are cute just after they come out but they don't age very well.
There are much nicer things to keep for your DCs. I remember being a tiny bit envious of a friend who had her baby teeth when she was 10ish but I don't care now. I still regret a little that all my childhood drawings 'got lost in a house move'.

I'm not on your thread but I clicked out of curiosity and had to come on and say thanks for the giggle. An inspired title. grin

Right I'll leave you all to it now. Sorry.

Hair - feel free to join us - the more the...err....err... well... the less minimal I suppose!

Struggling with tiredness. I decided this afternoon to sit and write down what I feel I have done well this week and what not so well (something I sometimes do with my students)

I was getting down on myself for stuff I hadn't yet done but actually, there is more on my "done well" list! Still haven't started on tidying the spare room though <weekend smilie?>

OhTheConfusion Thu 06-Jun-13 16:39:31

Hello everyone. I have recently downsized by one bedroom and one reception room. I had a bid de-clutter before I moved but I am now having a bigger de-clutter because i can't bear to fill my new house with too much stuff, it is a new build and so lovely and light.... I want it to stay that way!

I was so fed up of having to find a home for everything before I could begin cleaning. I hope when I FINALLY get through all the boxes that will no longer be an issue.

So far I have finished the kitchen, downstairs loo, linen cupboard and DD's bedroom (DD1 and 2 share).

Does anyone else seem to have lots of bathroom clutter?!?!?

harrietspy Thu 06-Jun-13 18:51:42

arti I didn't have Playmobil as a kid and always wanted it. I suspect that's why I bought it...

Hello confusion. Sounds like you're doing really well.
On bathroom clutter: what sort of thing? I've got rid of masses, eg, bath pillow (never used), strange loofahs (never used), all the bath toys except stacking cups because they still seem to get played with by dc (7 and 10). I'm trying to use up all of the shampoo bottles over time so we can get a generic no-more-tears type for all of us to use. I keep my make-up in a shoe box lid in the top drawer in my bedroom and then I can just take the lot to the mirror and clear it away really easily afterwards. But I have so many bottles of body moisturiser and hand cream... I hardly ever bother using them (maybe once a month...) so I'll never get through them... Feels so wasteful to throw them out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now