m

(950 Posts)

This is the new minimalist/decluttering thread! I hope everyone likes the minimal title!

ArtemisatBrauron Sat 20-Jul-13 11:09:45

sok I went to a colleague's bbq at the end of term and brought the vast majority of my drinks cabinet, a real mixture of stuff - she was delighted as everyone brought mixers and made cocktails/experimented and she didn't have to buy any drinks at all for the party.

I was delighted to get rid of all these dusty bottles which were taking up a whole cupboard in the living room.

Best part was that DH who is a bit of a hoarder is very generous by nature so he didn't argue about getting rid of them this way as he would have done if I had just wanted to chuck them out! grin

buildingmycorestrength Sat 20-Jul-13 12:40:34

Car boot a total waste of time. Cost £7 to have a stall, made £10 in 2.5 hours, and obviously bought some bits other so probably lost money overall and am knackered now. Still, we'll deliver it all to the chazzer later!

ArtemisatBrauron Sat 20-Jul-13 12:45:32

building oh no! That happened to my sister when she went, which put me off a bit. I think people are definitely buying less at car boots and on eBay, I made about £500 on eBay two years ago selling quite a bit of stuff but don't think I would make anywhere near that amount now selling the same stuff.

tbh, I should have made the effort to sell some stuff the past few months but I just wanted it all out of the house. My DH insisted we did put some of the games and old electronics on eBay and we made £50 so I was a bit blush

at least you tried!

Sokmonsta Sat 20-Jul-13 13:14:39

Artemis my friends and I used to have cocktail parties before we all got coupled up/own homes etc so a food few bottles are left from that. Then there's the 4 bottles of baileys which several people saw fit to buy last year for Xmas. Which I don't drink (only liked the caramel one). Plus dh's jack Daniels collection. I daren't count how many bottles of wine we have in the rack under the stairs and in the shed! Thing is some of it is really, really nice wine and would be wasted on some of our less fussy (as long as its alcohol) friends. I'm just going to have to convince dh to Have a garden party/BBQ to get down some. Oh, and we live in the middle
Of nowhere with exorbitant taxi fees so someone always has to drive.

fuzzpig Sat 20-Jul-13 14:50:16

Oh no building, sorry the boot fair was a waste. How disappointing. Still, at least it means you have lots of stuff ready for the chazzer in one go. I don't think I'll do another one - the first couple were successful but only because we had some big items (guitars etc) whereas now we really don't have much that would be worth more than a couple of quid.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/parenting/1807346-Simplicity-Parenting-fans-chat-thread

harrietspy Sun 21-Jul-13 07:59:01

I have one huge box of stuff that ds1 wants to sell in a yard sale (I can't remember the English term!) but everything else is going to the chazza because realistically I know I never ever get round to car booting or eBay. So that means I'm doubly sorry that you didn't have a better return, building, after making the effort.

Clearing my study is going well after I implemented the GTD filing system (from David Allen book Getting Things Done) instead of the complicated could-be-filed-in-one-of-three-places system I had before. Bin bag full of papers and old folders gone. Mum took a box of metal stuff for the scrap man. The hall still looks a bit Steptoe but I'm clearing it bit by bit...

IWillDoItInAMinute Sun 21-Jul-13 23:10:18

Harrietspy I'm having a look at Getting things done - thanks for the tip.

What do you do with unwanted duvets, too horrible to donate or reuse?

starfishmummy Mon 22-Jul-13 00:03:18

We had to take ours to the local dump.

fuzzpig Mon 22-Jul-13 08:02:35

I bagged ours up for the charity shop as they recycle rags for money.

fuzzpig Mon 22-Jul-13 08:07:12

We go through duvets fairly often and it's one thing where 'buy once buy well' (should we have the acronym BOBW grin) doesn't apply - it is horrendously expensive to get them drycleaned so cheaper to buy new primark one blush

I do want to get nice pillows though. We have been using cheap ones but they are so skinny I need 3. Once we are tidier I will get new nice ones in the hope we can keep on top with washing covers more often (and therefore air the pillows out more)

Sokmonsta Mon 22-Jul-13 09:38:57

I am currently sat in a lounge with lovely bare cupboards and shelves. Plus a functioning dining table.

Dh wanted to put all the things back in the cupboards/shelves. I've told him
A)not until the beading goes down as I don't want to have to empty them again to move them.
B)a lot less is coming back in than went out so he is going to have to be ruthless.

It does mean the dc can't play in their wendyhouse outside but I think that's a small sacrifice in the short term.

We are also swapping a double width bookcase/cupboard downstairs for a single width as the current one does not fit in the space I need it to. So we will have slightly less storage space downstairs. And the bookcase going upstairs will be going in the dc's bedroom so no using that for adult things. I've worked out I can get all the books plus dd's dollhouse on the wider bookcase so will be able to get rid of/move/rehome the wooden storage box it's currently stood on.

I am grateful I had the foresight to only get one colour of shelving unit throughout the house when we bought furniture as it makes swapping things around so much easier.

SlightlyItchyBraStrap Mon 22-Jul-13 09:55:00

Is it acceptable to swear on this thread? My fucking kitchen is getting right on my tits! I hate the cluttered counters, the masses of tea taking up an entire corner, the dreadful clutter magnet that is the kitchen island. I hate it when dh opens some random packaging and leaves bits of plastic and tags on the counters along with breadcrumbs and banana peels. Just open the rubbish bin ffs!

On reflection it may not actually be my kitchen that is the problem...

IWipeArses Mon 22-Jul-13 10:04:14

Itchy, I feel your pain!

Do you need all the tea? Is it all in date?
If you got rid of everything from your cupboards you haven't used in a year, could you fit everything from your counters into the cupboards?
What clutter gets stuck on the island?

My kitchen is my perpetual nemesis too, I fight it.

IWillDoItInAMinute Mon 22-Jul-13 10:26:57

Itchy mine 2 (both kitchen and DH) yes just open the bloody bin !!!!

I hope DH doesn't think that it brings joy to my life to have to bin/relocate his crap before cleaning the surfaces. Last week I swear it was nearly divorce or breakdown. He still complains about the DCs mess -toys- but doesn't see his own confused

Thanks for duvet advice, we might use them for insulation, which means DH will put them in the loft -and forget all about them-

SlightlyItchyBraStrap Mon 22-Jul-13 10:44:24

iWipeArses have just gone through all cupboards one by one with your suggestion in mind... I think we could move the tea into a drawer which is currently housing a million cooking/serving utensils, if I cull them ruthlessly.... Then the utensils can go next to the stove in a pot and will take up far less room than the tea and be handy besides.

Island clutter:

Paperwork (we currently have no system for dealing with this), cutting boards, rubbish, toys.... Anything that doesn't have a place elsewhere ends up on the island. And therein lies the solution, I suppose... But how to implement it??

IWipeArses Mon 22-Jul-13 11:15:15

I actually moved my utensils from a pot into a drawer to save cleaning them, but it's whatever you'll find most useful in your own kitchen.
Can you put the cutting boards in a cupboard? Is your bin easy enough to access for the rubbish?
While you're getting a better system organised, may I suggest a box to stick the paperwork in? A contained pile while not ideal is better than it spreading everywhere.

clearsommespace Mon 22-Jul-13 11:24:39

Grrr to dumping in communal spaces.

I would get an intermediary bin/box. Sweep everything that's on the counter into it. When culprits come looking for their bits, point them in direction of the intermediary box/bin. Put a big label on the bin/box saying 'Will be emptied into the main bin on ....day' i.e. the day before bin collection day.

If utensils on a counter need cleaning in addition to washing up after use, they aren't being used regularly enough to merit the counter space. Do you really need them? If so, can they go in a drawer.
I have some utensils hanging on hooks near the hob and the ones that can't be hung (wooden spoons basically) in a jar. The only one that needs additional cleaning is the potato masher if it has been too hot to eat mash for a while.

IWipeArses Mon 22-Jul-13 11:32:55

It's the jar the ends up needing washing, found it got very sticky next to the cooker. The ladle often doesn't get used for a while, but does still get used on occasion. So into the drawer it all went!
There is very little on my counters, apart from the one at the end where everything gets dumped!

SlightlyItchyBraStrap Mon 22-Jul-13 12:47:49

Ooh I like the idea of utensils on hooks. It's funny how different solutions work or don't work in various households or at different times.

Have implemented the papers in one container; it's now overflowing! In theory we are meant to go through it periodically. How do you all remind yourselves of tasks like filing papers, putting away "doesn't belong here"tubs etc? I tried putting it in the calendar but I just ignore my smartphone reminders blush

IWipeArses Mon 22-Jul-13 12:51:50

It's that routine that I really struggle with Itchy, I don't think my paperwork has been actually tidy in two years. I used to be a binge-filer, but I can't seem to get it actually fully-filed anymore. With two kids now I can always find something more urgent or fun to do!

fuzzpig Mon 22-Jul-13 13:51:25

I sympathise with the kitchen. Ours is tiny and very very cluttered especially as things like the easel are in there. I hate cooking in it because there is just no space.

Feeling a bit overwhelmed with it all today - no idea what to attack next, and no energy to do it anyway. Off to work now. <sigh>

ArtemisatBrauron Mon 22-Jul-13 14:21:55

When we move (three weeks, eeeeeeee! grin) I want to try not having anything out on the counters at all.

This will be a MAJOR challenge as DH is a master at leaving things at his arse... e.g. his water spray bottle used for cleaning/baking - I must put that thing away about 5 times a day. I have no idea how he thinks it gets back in the cupboard. Similarly he will stand ans wash all the dishes, but spread them out all over every surface including the space where we usually put dirty dishes, so they end up getting mixed in with the dirty dishes.

I am planning a full on, put toaster in the cupboard after using scenario. Wish me luck...

IWillDoItInAMinute Mon 22-Jul-13 15:50:30

envy at Sok and her empty shelves

Good luck Arte with your no crap on counters after you move.
If you manage to break your DHs bad annoyingly messy- habits, do share please grin

Maybe we should start a support thread for those whose OHs are selfishly and thoughtlessly messy?

I don't know if its a male/female thing but I am going to do my best to ensure my DSs learn how and why it's important to clear/clean/sort as you go.

clearsommespace Mon 22-Jul-13 17:36:51

Today I've made a decision to part with a chair (DV Victimes charity when I get a chance to deliver it) and someone wants a large box of polystyrene beads which were on the local equivalent of freecycle. I can't wait until they're both gone as they take up a lot of space in the basement.

harrietspy Mon 22-Jul-13 19:18:18

Not really a minimalist thing, more a getting-things-done thing. I remembered to buy poster hangers and have finally hung a load of posters up in the dc's rooms that had been piled up gathering dust smile

I'd love to go for the clear counters thing (loving my minimalist bedroom as I do) in the kitchen but I just don't think my family would go for it...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now