DECLUTTER....in 40 days ....care to join me ?

(467 Posts)
spiderbabymum Tue 28-May-13 22:39:38

Have decided the only way I'm ever gonna get organised it to own less ....

I like the look of this

http://www.keeperofthehome.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/8-weeks-to-declutter.pdf

spiderbabymum Wed 29-May-13 20:33:26

personally I Really like the simplicity if the kids bedroom
And some Great ideas ..............like the drainpipe book stands

But in some ways for my taste she's takin the thrift thing a bit too far

If the doors in that sewing cabinet are glass for example ...not safe for playing in

spiderbabymum Wed 29-May-13 20:34:44

I seem to be the only one postin in my own thread .....should I just toddle off and keep. Diary instead ?

christinarossetti Wed 29-May-13 20:36:09

Just started my decluttering project, having realised that the only way I'm going to stop stressing about falling over stuff all the time is to just get rid of it.

One charity shop run, one trip to the tip and a couple of drops at friends' houses and life seems a lot lighter!

Heifer Wed 29-May-13 20:58:38

This is excellent timing. DH has been nagging me for weeks to declutter as we need to decorate in order to put our house on the market.
I haven't got 8 weeks, but will double my efforts and this is a great starting point. I'm a natural slacker so have found any excuse. No more....

Ooh, I'm in. Am trying to declutter. This might keep me on track. Love the pink chicks! <misses the point>

IAmNaturallyThisOrange Wed 29-May-13 22:13:14

I am officially on hols but went through a bag today and binned 5 things ( was a small(ish) bag.
But it was good as I would have taken the lot home and -maybe- binned it at home.

Anyone else spent time looking for fiestaware ?? <totally misses the point too> blush

spiderbabymum Wed 29-May-13 22:50:20

FIESTAWARE

LADIES PLEASE

( but gotta admit yes I to have googled FIESTAWARE)

spiderbabymum Wed 29-May-13 22:51:25

Whoo whoop

WE have a decluttering posssy

making britian cleaner one room at a time

spiderbabymum Wed 29-May-13 22:53:45

COME ON HOMEMAKERS

GATHER UP your Clutter

Banish mess

And make room for The Lord !!!!!!!!

spiderbabymum Wed 29-May-13 22:55:49

www.keeperofthehome.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/8-weeks-to-declutter.pdf

Have just linked to our guide again for the newcomers . welcome !!

spiderbabymum Wed 29-May-13 22:57:41

anyone else wished they had the type of partner who would do the pink chicks thing .......
Or scrap that who would even Notice if I've had a bad day ......

Dysgu Wed 29-May-13 23:00:49

Can I jump on board, please? We are going away on holiday in just about 8 weeks so the timing is just about perfect. It is a house swap and i usually end up cleaning and tidying like crazy in the two days before we leave - this sounds like a much better, and long term, solution. I might even treat myself to a whole-house-clean from a professional company if I manage to keep on top of everything.

Every time I try to get my DDs to sort through their toys though they rediscover all the stuff they had forgotten about. Will have to be sneaky about going through everything without them.

Need to be careful about the new stuff coming into the house - have a 10 week old baby and he is gathering stuff already!

spiderbabymum Wed 29-May-13 23:15:43

My little one is 16 weeks ..........yes jump on board the wagon

HerrenaHarridan Wed 29-May-13 23:29:53

1) 2 x pics I never liked anyway
2) broken piece of plastic doodah
3) several odd bits of paper
4) several non working pens
5) lid for broken Tupperware
6) some decrepit clothes
7) lots of old receipts from my handbag
8) pile of assorted advertising I verify believed I might be interested in
9) several pieces of plastic recycling that have previously been recycled as plant pots and are now just muddy clutter
10) the bottom of a hamster cage that used to sit outside with the above mentioned 'plant pots' in. This was rescued and reused as a water play tray for dd 16 mo

Really good links and inspiration thank you. Am I brave enough to do it?

spiderbabymum Thu 30-May-13 07:31:47

Lily
...Can you manage half an hour a day ?
.....on top of all the regular daily work .

Is there a partner , relative , cleaner or children that could help??

The first six or seven days are JUST on the kitchen....so the PACE is manageable

Yeah it's. bit dull at times
But so far
More cupboard space
Know What I have and where everything is
Increasing sense if satisfaction as I watch the pile in the get rid of basket grow.
Better systems for handling incoming stuff.......and I'm on day 3

Try maybe set a timer ...so the work doesn't mushroom into a huge task....

spiderbabymum Thu 30-May-13 07:34:39

Or if less daunting use the three basket system

Bin

Charity shop

Store ....eg shove in a box in garage ..... If you don't miss it later get rid of it

spiderbabymum Thu 30-May-13 07:48:33
spiderbabymum Thu 30-May-13 08:01:27

More inspiration

Ok try to overlook the fact it's clearly a millionaires home !

Scroll down third photo of pantry

www.houzz.com/photos/kitchen

And BREATHE .....

spiderbabymum Thu 30-May-13 08:03:52

JUST realised its photos of all different kitchens .......

But PLEASE can I have a store cupboard like that ????

spiderbabymum Thu 30-May-13 08:07:54

MORE ENCOURAGEMENT

Here's what NOT to do

www.apartmenttherapy.com/what-not-to-do_1-168836

Yes I eyed my cutler drawer (Day 1) this morning thinking Surely That Wouldn't Take Long.

Later I got something out of the airing cupboard and thought THAT Would Definitely Take More Than 30 Minutes! (but that's not day 1)

I have to force myself to write a report today so I'd better do that first, maybe get to cutlery drawer in the evening??

rubyrubyruby Thu 30-May-13 10:49:28

Thanks spiderbabe!

I have decluttered DSs wardrobe today - 10 items at least for passing on/chucking.

Intend to follow list but in my own order iyswim. Our house is going on the market this weekend so I need to prioritise.

spiderbabymum Thu 30-May-13 11:11:00

airing cupboard is day 33

LILY Please Consider TRYING THE 30 minute declutter

So set a timer

SPEND NO MORE than 30 minutes on it

Otherwise the linen cupboard will spontaneously combust and you might burn your fingers ....

Ask yourself
Is it beautiful or useful ?
Have I used it in the last year ?

IF NO then out it goes .TOSS IT

OK you are allowed shove in attic ....but really ....why bother ...just more stuff to clear .

HONESTLY if you do this you will be amazed how much you can achieve in 30 minutes .

Oh....I so badly want to be flood at decluttering but I'm useless! Going to print off this and read it as it's too small to read on my phone

I just always look at things and think "i might need that one day" and can't get rid of them. And then every so often I'll get all angry and throw out loads of stuff, but then accumulate more in its place!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now