DECLUTTER....in 40 days ....care to join me ?

(467 Posts)
spiderbabymum Tue 28-May-13 22:39:38

Have decided the only way I'm ever gonna get organised it to own less ....

I like the look of this

http://www.keeperofthehome.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/8-weeks-to-declutter.pdf

BadPoet Thu 22-Aug-13 21:52:02

Hello! I'm going to join in if you don't mind? We have the builders starting in a couple of weeks - it's only the upstairs they'll be working on but trying to clear the whole house, idea being that then it'll be easier to pile displaced stuff there for a bit. Plan is also to sort the garage from a massive junk heap into the laundry room/workshop/storage room of our dreams, before they start.

Done loads over the holidays, 2 car loads to recycling centre (mostly from garage), another boot load of books alone to book drop and about 15 bin bags on top of that - rubbish and clothes. Garage mostly cleared and half painted, new Ikea shelves bought. Need to book plumber to shift washing machine...another trip to dump needed too.

I found this thread today and am going to follow the 40 day plan, will have to condense it (a bit! - luckily have already done some of the days.) But started this evening with the cutlery drawer which is now lovely and clear, I did my utensil drawer at Easter and it is still decluttered which just goes to to show if you get it working for you it'll stay that way smile.

Everyone here seems to be making great strides and I'm feeling more motivated already!

JKSLtd Fri 23-Aug-13 13:17:08

Hi BadPoet smile

Builders, eek! Good luck.

Dropped off 2 instruction leaflets for slings.
Got dh to start on old-ancient photos and he's chucked loads already, excellent. Then I can get him some archive boxes like mine and file them properly.
Wondering about chucking negatives? All old photos of us travelling etc nothing with DC - they are all post-negatives lol.

BadPoet Fri 23-Aug-13 13:28:58

well done JKS! I'm not sure about negatives, personally I'd either chuck them (but i can be a bit hasty like that) or see about getting them or the originals scanned into digital then get rid.

We have a day off with kids at school today so have sent Dh to dump & charity shop and finished first coat on garage this morning. I also did my '40 day' - kitchen cupboards, cleared out some mugs and other bits and pieces we never use. Reclaimed a whole shelf for cool bags and lunchboxes, top of units look much better now! Starving - wish Dh would hurry back with lunch!

ThreeTomatoes Mon 26-Aug-13 17:15:24

Hello everyone and welcome BadPoet. Sounds like you're making a good start!

Had a great but exhausting week away so just chilling today but I will make a start on giving the kitchen a good clean -starting with the snacks cupboard, which regularly needs a clear out! Looking forward to getting stuck into our last bits here soon too. It was amazing coming home to a mostly clear and really neat & tidy house - DP said he barely recognised it, as we had forgotten how clean & tidy we left it! smile

ThreeTomatoes Tue 27-Aug-13 11:01:44

Cleaned out the snack cupboard yesterday, threw away some old sweets etc, all organised again!

Just done the cupboard above the cooker, pile of manuals/instructions for recycling, random screws/plasticy bits/old keys in bin, and a spare spanner to charity...

JKSLtd Tue 27-Aug-13 13:22:14

Music magpie box ready to go - an easy £15 smile

Have not had a chance to get back into gear properly as house guests and now pil. Plus DC still at home obv. Think I might have had enough school holidays now!

JKSLtd Tue 27-Aug-13 16:11:47

My desk drawers & top tackled, lots of paper recycled and lots of bits in the bin.
Main middle part still to do properly though.

Also card for sponsored child written & ready to post.

JKSLtd Wed 28-Aug-13 20:49:18

Ceiling airer I bought 3 (!) years ago finally freecycled after it not fitting anywhere suitable in the house & i left it too long to return.

Pile of clothes to Cash4Clothes place (only £3 but still).
And Music Magpie box posted.

Box of too big clothes to friend still waiting.
Boot full of boys clothes for friend's DS still waiting.

Plus the rest of the 40 days still to go...

ThreeTomatoes Thu 29-Aug-13 16:29:13

Good work, JKS!

I'm so happy, this afternoon we've finally sorted through DP's bags, chucked out a load of old leads, DVD-Rs, a few manuals, old iPod, hard drive, etc. Also cleared out the little cupboard under the stairs full of 2 big bags full of junk from when we moved in, hoovered it all out and have stored our luggage bags/cases in there.

And that's pretty much it!!! One or two bits to do, i have one shelf of files that i haven't gone through since this decluttering lark, but i think they're all fine as they are as it wasn't long since i sorted them out. Also have my SFX magazines to rip covers off to file away... oh and dd's big box of papers that i'm going to go through when she goes back to school.

It's just the garage left looming really - we'll have tons of junk to take to the dump, and there's a mountain of empty removal boxes that we no longer need to keep as we're now buying the house!

buildingmycorestrength Fri 30-Aug-13 20:17:49

Um, I am very jealous of these cluttering old gadgets I just read about! envy

Hello, am on the minimalist thread but have definitely got a declutter push on at the moment... want various things sorted by Christmas (bit more than 40 days but there we are). Need all the inspiration I can get!

JKSLtd Sat 31-Aug-13 10:17:15

Have finished my desk - lots of random envelopes, dodgy rubber bands & scraps of paper got rid of.
Desk looking very tidy & organised not for long smile

ThreeTomatoes Sat 31-Aug-13 23:07:21

Welcome building!

I have today sorted my SFX magazines -covers off, particular articles saved, the rest in recycling box.

JKSLtd Mon 02-Sep-13 20:41:20

Well done ThreeToms smile Have you got much left to do?

I still have tonnes really, loads of areas I haven't touched yet.

Gave some clothes away today to a friend but another friend dropped off some coats for DD so no overall change, sigh!

ThreeTomatoes Tue 03-Sep-13 08:39:43

Well, there's a few things to actually leave the house:
MusicMagpie pile (oh i forgot to say DP added a bunch to the pile too smile We now have about £15 worth)
2 large bags of junk
Box of random stuff to go to charity

When dd is back at school (Thursday) I have her big pile of papers to go through - drawings, etc,I think i'm going to buy a few of those plastic folders with sleeves and try and get them all in some sort of order...(as well as dump a load, which i find really hard)

And in general the house needs the usual tidy/clean/hoover already, including dd's lovely newly organised room, grr! Which i will do on Thursday.

JKSLtd Tue 03-Sep-13 21:09:08

Well a big pile of girls clothes left today then I was given a bag of boys stuff this evening. Sigh.

ThreeTomatoes Wed 04-Sep-13 10:57:14

grin

iWillDoItInAMinute Wed 04-Sep-13 14:15:15

JKSLtd and ThreeTomatoes are you following the original printout - list of what to de-clutter? I started earlier on this thread and got as far as the cutlery drawer blushgrin

The DC are back at school, I need to reclaim my home!

NotInGuatemalaNowDrRopata Wed 04-Sep-13 14:55:12

Is it too late to join you ladies? I'm a bit proud of myself for decluttering the fridge and freezer today!

ThreeTomatoes Wed 04-Sep-13 19:27:27

I adapted the list because some of them were irrelevant to our house, and I had to add a bunch as well (I had to split dd's room into several 'zones' for a start!!) I then didn't necessarily follow the list from 1 to the end, but cherry picked depending on how much time i had, what i felt like doing, etc.

I guess i'll be 'graduating' soon!
My two main jobs tomorrow are to tidy dd's bedroom (sigh) and a deep clean of the kitchen. dd's back at school tomorrow.

Must make a start soon, kids go back to school tomorrow. Will be looking at all your posts for inspiration as ive lost minegrin

JKSLtd Wed 04-Sep-13 20:05:16

I am mostly trying to follow the list. But the last couple of weeks I've slacked off too much.
I'm hoping to particularly use me Monday mornings (free of all DC and when I'm often most inspired to get on with things) to move on.

ThreeToms - isn't the advice to go straight back to the beginning and do it all over again?! or is that too hardcore?

iWillDoItInAMinute Wed 04-Sep-13 20:09:38

Thanks, that's what I was planning on doing -until the holidays started and there was more fun to be had with DC-

I need inspiration too, the dining room has become 'the place where craft projects go to die' I need to sort it all out.

Also my DD is on a residential trip next week -eek. But it will give me 4 days to de clutter and clean her bedroom, again

buildingmycorestrength Wed 04-Sep-13 22:51:42

I dealt with our craft cemetery today...felt goooooood to flatten all the cardboard Barbie salons and 'beds' for bunnies. <evil mummy>.

Also ditching a poly cotton duvet cover set that I do like but doesn't breathe...am going to replace with a new 100% cotton set soon. grin

And a load of old net curtains are going. Am torn about some other old curtains...might hang on to those.

We also have loads of handmade textiles...afghans and quilts and baby blankets made by the generations of crafty women in my family. They can't really go. But I'd like to find a way to use them more.

ThreeTomatoes Thu 05-Sep-13 07:40:58

JKS oh gosh. You might be right! But I can't imagine anything more will go. Blitzing the kitchen today though, i can consider as i do it.

building dd has a couple of her old baby blankets, she uses them for her dolly or cuddly toys. insists on keeping them.

Love 'craft cemetery' grin

buildingmycorestrength Thu 05-Sep-13 09:10:02

DD sick today so all bets off. I HATE it when they are sick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now