Which tumble dryer?

(16 Posts)
yetanotherworry Tue 21-May-13 16:21:25

My old tumble dryer has finally given up and I need to buy a new one. It has to be a condensor dryer. I think I've narrowed it down to an LG but not sure whether I should be looking at one that has a heat pump which is super-expensive. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Also, does anyone have a Which subscription where they can check out how LG compares with Miele for me?

MinimalistMommi Tue 21-May-13 17:02:27

I'm very pleased with my Bosch Classix 7, I did a ton of research (Which magazine) before I bought and I'm very pleased, especially with the extra dry cycle. It's actually running now grin it's got a big drum so I can dry entire loads easily in one go.

MinimalistMommi Tue 21-May-13 17:02:59

If I had the money I would go for Miele though!

yetanotherworry Tue 21-May-13 17:23:17

I was put off the Bosch because the online reviews say its not good for doing sheets and duvet covers which is mainly what I use the dryer for. Do you find you have problems with bedding getting twisted and not drying properly?

MinimalistMommi Tue 21-May-13 17:25:07

Actually, yes, they do get quite twisted up but I thought that was tumble dryers in general and have never thought about it much! Certainly not seen it as a problem. I've always felt very fondly towards because it can dry such a big load.

handcream Tue 21-May-13 17:27:58

Which? LOVE Miele but their tumble dryers are in IMHO too expensive! I have a Miele Washing Machine and its good but not worth the mega bucks. Its 10 yrs old and once it goes I will replace with perhaps a Siemens or a top of the range Bosch. Or even a John Lewis own make.

yetanotherworry Tue 21-May-13 17:32:19

handcream, do you know what they think of the LG?

We have a Miele washing machine and I've been a bit disappointed by some of the features (or lack of) so I am reluctant to go down the Miele route again.

John Lewis/AEG was my first choice as we could afford the heat pump version of the JL which is more energy-efficient but online reviews have problems with drying abilities.

Eastpoint Wed 22-May-13 07:45:03

I have a Miele condenser washer/drier & it is fine at washing but very poor at drying. I would replace it if it hadn't cost a fortune.

MinimalistMommi Wed 22-May-13 08:10:12

East that's not heartening to hear, we're saving up for one of those sad

handcream Wed 22-May-13 11:42:28

Which? does say that if at all possible DONT go for a washer dryer.... However if you really have to last year they rated the Indesit PWDC8125 or IWDC6143 which are under £500

I do likie my Miele washer but got it at a discount. I would never buy a Miele washer dryer unless I was flush with money. What about John Lewis range. They tend to have 3-5 yr guarantees.

yetanotherworry Wed 22-May-13 14:22:02

Washer dryers never compare favourbly with separate dryers though. Mini, we used to have LG washer/dryer and it used to do the job ok. Main problem was that I had to split the wash load in half to try it i.e. could do a 7kg wash but only dry 3.5kg. I think the majority of washers are the same.

Anyway, I think I've decided to go for the LG dryer... now to decide which model and find a good price.

MinimalistMommi Wed 22-May-13 14:27:48

Space is a problem here, we HAVE to get a washer dryer since we moved sad

Eastpoint Fri 24-May-13 06:21:21

The Miele washer/drier has a different capacity for drying too. Complete pain. Maybe they're ok if you are a single person but with a family of 5 & 2 dogs they are not up to the job.

Frontdoorstep Fri 24-May-13 07:51:14

I've just bought a new tumble dryer, well about four months ago. I searched on appliances direct by price in ascending order and went for (just about) the cheapest one I could find. It is a Zanussi, was under £200 and it is a condenser dryer, very happy with it.

handcream Fri 24-May-13 09:35:17

Which are raving (very unusual for them) about a Panosonic dryer at £550. Says it costs 2/3 less than normal dryers per year. Statement just came out in this months Which?

yetanotherworry Fri 24-May-13 10:20:53

Oooh, I think I saw that in Curry's on the weekend. It looked a bit ugly but I might go and take a look again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now