Butter dish

(37 Posts)
lulu2 Mon 13-May-13 11:23:22

What type of butter dish is best? Is it the ones with a flat bottom or a dish bottom, if that makes sense!

Dish type for me too, much less messy than my mum's flat one. I have the Lakeland insulated one, it is childproof and dishwasher proof.

hollyisalovelyname Sun 19-May-13 07:20:09

I have the lakeland one too ( have 2 of them so when one is in the dishwasher...)

bellablot Sun 19-May-13 07:27:56

I thought butter had a 4 hour shelf life if not left in the fridge? shock

I would love a butter dish but too scared!hmm

SlinkyB Sun 19-May-13 07:53:59

Thanks, I coveted the rather OTT tea pot for months.

To be honest, I'm only going to use the butter dish when we have people over. I know £16 isn't much compared to some others, but it's too pretty to risk getting broken. I think it looks a lot more expensive in the flesh, and some of the PIP stuff looks kinda similar to the
beautiful Wedgwood Cuckoo range I love the bright colours for a real sense of occasion smile

I don't know about the shelf life of butter Bella as tend to use spreadable stuff straight out of the fridge day-to-day.

sparkle12mar08 Sun 19-May-13 08:00:56

In the nicest possible way, are you mad bellabot?! What do you think people used to do before the invention of the fridge in the 1920's?! It was the 1960's before fridges became the norm and when more than half of UK homes had a fridge. Butter is one of the primary ways of preserving milk, alongside cheese, and people have lived without fridges for hundreds and hundreds of years! Bless you smile A cool spot in the kitchen in a china or pottery/terracotta dish will keep most things nicely cool for days. A proper larder with a shaded, outside, northfacing wall is one of my dreams!

A pound of butter in a dish on the side in our house lasts a week no problem (it is used up by then, not off). I keep spare packs in the fridge till needed. My mum worries about this and always keeps hers in the fridge, she does seem to think that anything that is sold or generally kept refrigerated will be unfit for use if it is kept out for more thwn half an hour.

BeCool Sun 19-May-13 08:45:34

I grew up in NZ where fridges had special places for butter - "butter conditioner". They hold a pound of butter on a tray, and you can set the temperature to keep butter soft.

GibberTheMonkey Sun 19-May-13 10:34:00

I have both types and prefer flat bottom. I want to get another flat bottom to replace the dish one

Tigglette Sun 19-May-13 23:52:13

I have the blue Denby one in your link Funny, it's served me v well for about 18 years now.

FunnysInLaJardin Mon 20-May-13 10:17:14

I loved my Denby Blue butter dish Tig but it got smashed by the bread board falling on it sad

bellablot Mon 20-May-13 10:47:53

Thanks for putting me in my place Sparkle, I'm off now to buy a butter dish! wink

sparkle12mar08 Mon 20-May-13 10:55:01

You won't regret it, I promise. There's nothing like the taste of real butter on toast, and by keeping it in a dish it spreads nicely instead of tearing up the bread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now