Mind numbingly dull question about an iron baseplate.

(16 Posts)
EffieTheDuck Mon 13-May-13 10:58:57

grin

Dh fried ds's school trousers. The sole plate on my iron is black.
I have tried toothpaste, sticky stuff remover, nylon pan scrubber then nuked it with a brillo pad. Nothing seems to be shifting it.

Mountain of ironing to do and a new iron is out of the question. Is there any way of cleaning this gunk off?

Mandy2003 Mon 13-May-13 20:00:38

Mine's fallen victim to school trousers too. My ironing lady "cleaned" it with steel wool and sandpaper, and my howls of protest were justified. The rough patches just blacken even quicker now.

Watching this with interest.

Try baby wipes when it's cold. They usually work with everything inc gloss paint etc, so may be worth a try.

Mandy2003 Mon 13-May-13 20:07:04

Nah, sorry Choccy - my iron and babywipes are both within 2 metres of the computer so I just had to try it, but no effect.

Molecule Mon 13-May-13 20:14:36

'Fraid you need to get down to an old-fashioned ironmongers and ask them. There are a few products designed for removing this gunk, I have a sort of wax stick that you apply when the iron is hot and then wipe off with kitchen roll. It does work but smells fairly leathful. My DDs are quite incapable of ironing without messing up the sole plate, but at least they are doing a bit of ironing so I don't yet complain.

EffieTheDuck Mon 13-May-13 20:19:26

Thank you! Tried lemon and salt, baby wipes, WD40, very fine wire wool but the gunk is still there.
Aibu to kick his arse? please say yes

Scrunched up tin foil?

Mandy2003 Mon 13-May-13 20:37:59

On the right hand side of E-how you also get further suggestions. I clicked on one of the topics and it suggested using oven cleaner. Hmm, maybe another one to try?

That would make sense smile

Mandy2003 Mon 13-May-13 20:46:12

They also recommend plain white vinegar (as well as mixing it with salt or bicarb). Didn't work. Now have a blackened iron that smells of chips angry

EffieTheDuck Mon 13-May-13 22:13:23

Ooh, I have some oven cleaner. Am off to attack my poor iron and will leave it overnight. smile

leelteloo Mon 13-May-13 22:20:48

Had same problem. Went to ironmongers, bought waxy cleaning stick thing. Rubbed on when hot; trouser gunk came off.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Mon 13-May-13 22:53:10

I have some cloths - wilkos maybe? i think they are called minkys. they work a treat.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Mon 13-May-13 22:54:58
Princesspond Mon 13-May-13 23:10:39

I bought some special iron cleaning stuff from Lakeland. It worked really well on the black soleplate on mine - but it sounds like your iron might be pretty bad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now