If you have wooden doors on your kitchen cupboards how do you clean them?

(10 Posts)
PigletJohn Sat 11-May-13 12:04:01

I asked if it was an extractor or a recirculator, because an effective extractor that is used during cooking, keeps the kitchen much cleaner, by sucking out the greasy fumes before they can settle.

Showtime Fri 10-May-13 22:31:55

My badly-designed kitchen doesn't
have any canopy or fan or similar, nor space to install one over built-in ovens, but never had any problems wiping down cupboard doors. Using hot water and small amount of WUL is sufficient to keep them clean, but admit to wiping more often than usual.

Wingdingdong Fri 10-May-13 22:03:01

I bought something called 'kitchen degreaser'; supposed to be environmentally friendly, so I was quite sceptical it would work but I was desperate. Anyway, it seemed to do the trick. Smelled quite citrussy and vinegary so I suspect white vinegar and lemon juice would have worked just as well to cut through, followed by a rinse off.

bicarb of soda mixed into a paste also worked, though it may damage the varnish if you have any. Our kitchen's now so old that I don't care about the finish, just the cleanliness!

pussycatwillum Fri 10-May-13 18:21:44

It's the wooden door Im having problems with. You pull it out to operate the hood. Big mistake actually, but too late now.

RoganJosh Fri 10-May-13 11:55:56

Hot water and a lot of washing up liquid works here.

PigletJohn Fri 10-May-13 09:54:41

just to check:

is your cooker hood an extractor, or a recirculator? when do you use it?

Fast Thu 09-May-13 20:21:55

Sugar soap wipes from B&Q

gobbin Thu 09-May-13 18:32:19

Try white spirit or bio washing powder.

I used white spirit to clean the cooker hood in my old house before we moved, it was full of grease. It worked, but be careful no naked flames and rinse THOROUGHLY before you cook again!

OhMyFucksie Thu 09-May-13 16:45:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pussycatwillum Thu 09-May-13 16:16:18

I have wooden doors and the one above the cooker which houses the extractor fan is covered in gunk. When we had the kitchen fitted the man said just use a damp cloth. That is OK everywhere else, but not there. Any ideas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now