limestone

(5 Posts)
LaraBristol Thu 09-May-13 15:16:04

Hello, my shower head is constantly obstructed by limestone because of really hard water in the area where I live. How can I get rid of all those limestone remains and prevent obstructions? Thank you

Furball Fri 10-May-13 07:21:16

Do you mean limescale?

I find Limelight excellent - we also live in a hard water area and my chrome kitchen tap suffers big time.

I would unscrew the showerhead and wash out the loose parts then put some limescale remover like limelight or mr muscle limescale remover in -leave a few minutes and give it a really good flush out after with loads of water.

OrbisNonSufficit Fri 10-May-13 07:24:13

I buy citric acid in bulk (summer naturals online) and soak the shower head in a solution of that periodically. Anything acidic will get limescale off (vinegar, lemon juice etc).

The only way to prevent it is to get a water softener installed at the rising main.

KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 10-May-13 16:41:10

Viakal is another good acidic product.

If you can't unscrew it, perhaps you can put some cotton wool soaked in acid in a baggie and use rubber bands to hold it to the shower head.

LaraBristol Sat 11-May-13 20:44:10

Thank you all for the useful tips!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now