Do I really need a vacuum cleaner?

(10 Posts)
Thumbwitch Wed 08-May-13 09:52:36

Sure can! grin - you should have seen the crap that built up on the ceiling fan, mind you that wasn't all my dust, the previous tenants hadn't ever cleaned it either, I don't think!
Good for cleaning out aircon vents too...

Tau Wed 08-May-13 07:04:31

I will try it for a few weeks, yes. And I will certainly try the microfibre things too - I already use those on everything else in the house.

One thing I think the vacuum cleaner is great for is getting rid of the dust-and cobweb jungles on the ceilings - I tend to ignore those for months (perhaps even years) until they start to look like low hanging clouds, and by then using a brush creates a fuzzy avalanche... I guess thumbwitch can relate to that
Of course the simple solution is to clean that more often. wink

Thumbwitch Wed 08-May-13 03:44:20

I'd still have one but almost purely for doing the dusting - I have a dustbrush fitting for my vacuum cleaner to remove dust. But then I'm not a great housecleaner, so the dust does build up rather before I get around to it. blush

ItsYonliMe Wed 08-May-13 03:39:57

Microfibre captures much more than a sweeping brush. That's all I use - we have hard floor covers all over.

DewDr0p Tue 07-May-13 14:07:49

Why don't you try it for a few weeks and see how you get on?

Tau Tue 07-May-13 10:24:21

Takingthestairs, turning the suction level down does make the noise a bit less, but not much, and then the vacuuming isn't all that great anymore. The outside of this vacuum cleaner is badly made too; after a month it started falling apart - poor device is now hanging together with tape. It was just a bad buy.

I agree that brushing doesn't take up as much dust as vacuuming, but I always mop the floors anyway, also now, after vacuuming.

Delayintactic I had the same thoughts as you did - initially it never occurred to me to go without a vacuum cleaner! But then I was talking about my childhood with someone, and I remembered we didn't have one when I grew up. I grew up in the tropics and we had tiled floors in the first house and wood in the second. The house was always clean - had to be, or we'd get bugs. I do think my mother and our cleaner swept twice a day and mopped every other day... but the UK is not the tropics.

Delayingtactic Tue 07-May-13 10:09:54

I'm in two minds. Part of me just thinks 'of course you need a vacuum' as if its the most shocking thing to do without. But I don't actually vacuum our wooden floors in the kitchen. Plus there's something very comforting about sweeping smile

TakingTheStairs Tue 07-May-13 10:05:19

We have wooden floors in our lounge and brushing never gets as much dust up as vacuuming, so yes, I think you need one.

If it's so noisy, can you turn the suction level down a bit? That might help?

Tau Tue 07-May-13 09:59:06

Hell, that reads so fifties... perhaps I should start wearing dresses with polka-dots. smile

But seriously, what do you think about the vacuum cleaner dilemma. Is the thing a necessity or not?

Tau Tue 07-May-13 09:57:49

We have recently bought a new vacuum cleaner, but the thing is so horrendously noisy that I have to wear earplugs when using it, so I have decided it needs to be replaced.
But then I thought that perhaps I don't actually need a vacuum cleaner at all.

We do not have carpets anywhere in the house - we have linoleum and wood. Currently I vacuum these and then mop them.
We do have some rugs and door mats, but I don't vacuum these. I usually beat them to get the dust out, and they are machine washable. Our furniture covers are also machine washable. We do have a cat.

So could I manage with just a broom, dustpan and brush, and mopping, or would that not get the house as clean as a vacuum cleaner?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now