Do I really need a vacuum cleaner?

(10 Posts)
Tau Tue 07-May-13 09:57:49

We have recently bought a new vacuum cleaner, but the thing is so horrendously noisy that I have to wear earplugs when using it, so I have decided it needs to be replaced.
But then I thought that perhaps I don't actually need a vacuum cleaner at all.

We do not have carpets anywhere in the house - we have linoleum and wood. Currently I vacuum these and then mop them.
We do have some rugs and door mats, but I don't vacuum these. I usually beat them to get the dust out, and they are machine washable. Our furniture covers are also machine washable. We do have a cat.

So could I manage with just a broom, dustpan and brush, and mopping, or would that not get the house as clean as a vacuum cleaner?

Tau Tue 07-May-13 09:59:06

Hell, that reads so fifties... perhaps I should start wearing dresses with polka-dots. smile

But seriously, what do you think about the vacuum cleaner dilemma. Is the thing a necessity or not?

TakingTheStairs Tue 07-May-13 10:05:19

We have wooden floors in our lounge and brushing never gets as much dust up as vacuuming, so yes, I think you need one.

If it's so noisy, can you turn the suction level down a bit? That might help?

Delayingtactic Tue 07-May-13 10:09:54

I'm in two minds. Part of me just thinks 'of course you need a vacuum' as if its the most shocking thing to do without. But I don't actually vacuum our wooden floors in the kitchen. Plus there's something very comforting about sweeping smile

Tau Tue 07-May-13 10:24:21

Takingthestairs, turning the suction level down does make the noise a bit less, but not much, and then the vacuuming isn't all that great anymore. The outside of this vacuum cleaner is badly made too; after a month it started falling apart - poor device is now hanging together with tape. It was just a bad buy.

I agree that brushing doesn't take up as much dust as vacuuming, but I always mop the floors anyway, also now, after vacuuming.

Delayintactic I had the same thoughts as you did - initially it never occurred to me to go without a vacuum cleaner! But then I was talking about my childhood with someone, and I remembered we didn't have one when I grew up. I grew up in the tropics and we had tiled floors in the first house and wood in the second. The house was always clean - had to be, or we'd get bugs. I do think my mother and our cleaner swept twice a day and mopped every other day... but the UK is not the tropics.

DewDr0p Tue 07-May-13 14:07:49

Why don't you try it for a few weeks and see how you get on?

ItsYonliMe Wed 08-May-13 03:39:57

Microfibre captures much more than a sweeping brush. That's all I use - we have hard floor covers all over.

Thumbwitch Wed 08-May-13 03:44:20

I'd still have one but almost purely for doing the dusting - I have a dustbrush fitting for my vacuum cleaner to remove dust. But then I'm not a great housecleaner, so the dust does build up rather before I get around to it. blush

Tau Wed 08-May-13 07:04:31

I will try it for a few weeks, yes. And I will certainly try the microfibre things too - I already use those on everything else in the house.

One thing I think the vacuum cleaner is great for is getting rid of the dust-and cobweb jungles on the ceilings - I tend to ignore those for months (perhaps even years) until they start to look like low hanging clouds, and by then using a brush creates a fuzzy avalanche... I guess thumbwitch can relate to that
Of course the simple solution is to clean that more often. wink

Thumbwitch Wed 08-May-13 09:52:36

Sure can! grin - you should have seen the crap that built up on the ceiling fan, mind you that wasn't all my dust, the previous tenants hadn't ever cleaned it either, I don't think!
Good for cleaning out aircon vents too...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now