Cleaning a rusty wire shower gel/shampoo holder?

(8 Posts)
Mandy2003 Thu 09-May-13 21:05:13

I've just noticed a patch of rust on the edge of the bath under the chromed rack - grr!

I will Cillit Bang it, then wondering of clear nail varnish will work to protect the rusted area.

mameulah Mon 06-May-13 23:28:44

Thanks, totally appreciate it!

mrspaddy Mon 06-May-13 10:40:22

Cillit Bang.. the purple one with orange spray gun for rust (check the back).

Power Cleaner Limescale & Shine.

Had same problem. It is brilliant. Got all my steel back gleaming and also outside where plant pots rusted my ceramic patio tiles. I had tried everything. HTH

PigletJohn Mon 06-May-13 10:34:27

stainless need not be that expensive, but is very much better than chromed steel if it is liable to get wet. You will usually find stainless things at low prices in shops like Aldi and Wilkinsons. It often has a brushed finish which is easier to keep clean than polished finish.

you can even get stainless screws quite easily now that are useful to avoid rust stains around things fixed to bathroom wals.

That's why the one ones in John Lewis are about £60, not £6 like B&Q

Nagoo Sun 05-May-13 22:48:48

I don't think you will be able to. It's rusty as the water has got through the chrome covering and into the iron in the metal underneath it.

I'd try WD40 if anything, but it will just rust again.

PigletJohn Sun 05-May-13 22:48:37

rusty?

in the bin. Acid bathroom cleaners would make it worse.

Buy stainless next time.

mameulah Sun 05-May-13 22:40:59

How?

I have tried a brillo pad and hot soapy water, but it still doesn't look properly clean.

Any ideas?

tia

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now