If you have a steam mop do you ever wet mop as well?

(8 Posts)
ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Sun 05-May-13 21:20:47

i had a steam mop for my floors and got rid of it because i had the same problem. good old vileda is back grin

MrsMoffat Sun 05-May-13 19:12:19

If any of you wet mop after seeing this thread will you post if the water was filthy? Wondering if its just my steam mop that's rubbish. The floor looked clean after but it obviously wasn't.

sooperdooper Sun 05-May-13 12:25:17

I got a steam mop but I've given up with it because it just doesn't clean as well as a bucket with a slosh of bleach and sons washing up liquid in it, it's a vax one so a good brand, I just don't rate it at all

e1y1 Sun 05-May-13 12:23:51

Sorry that post has terrible grammar blush hope you can tell what it says. Joys of being in a rush haha.

e1y1 Sun 05-May-13 12:21:34

Which magazine said that steamops/handheld steamers are no better (although they didnt say they were any worse either) than traditional cleaning methods, so I would take this as steam mops are just a different way of doing the floor. I have a steam mop but on occasion I will still wet mop - just because I prefer to give it a water/detergent once over once in a while. Also if you think about it, steam mop is just got steam with a towel pad, there is only so much dirt that towel pad will keep hold of before leaving at least some back on the floor. Unless you change it with every metre square of your floor lol.

cheeseandcrackers Sun 05-May-13 07:35:49

That is worrying. I have a steam mop but tend to use it for cleaning everything other than floors (e.g. windows, bathrooms, bbqs, carpets) as I find it easier just to get out the wet mop for the small bit of tiled floor that I have. After your experience I think I will continue doing this.

britsgonemad Sun 05-May-13 07:05:30

I have had a steam mop for last year and half and haven't wet mopped since! It certainly looks clean but you have me worried now! I often give it a quick once over with a cloth on stubborn marks or odd spills. I don't actually own a normal mop anymore! I think I may need to invest in one though! Which steam mop do you have?

MrsMoffat Sun 05-May-13 01:31:27

I got a steam mop about 3 months ago and since then have used only that to do the kitchen floor. Tonight I did it with a wet mop with a bucket of boiling bleach and flash water. Oh my god. The water was literally black. Clearly the steam mop hasn't been cleaning effectively. But I thought they were meant to be better than the old methods?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now