How to clean windows without smearing please anyone?

(24 Posts)
ppeatfruit Tue 07-May-13 11:32:15

In fact I have one next to my computer with my marigolds as we speak!

ppeatfruit Tue 07-May-13 11:31:13

Exactly toiletbrush The micro fibre cloths can be used damp or even dry sometimes they are ace!! Good for computer screens too grin

toiletbrush Mon 06-May-13 19:34:55

I'm a cleaner and have tried it all and have to agree that e-cloths, the polishing ones are fantastic. No smears and no need for any cleaning products.

sarahthesolicitor Mon 06-May-13 10:51:36

Ecloths and water

Looped cloth to clean
Flat cloth to dry

Half price (£2.49) in Sainsburys at the moment and worth every penny.

Roshbegosh Mon 06-May-13 09:25:19

Thanks Holly, you have saved me fifty quid.

hollyisalovelyname Sun 05-May-13 22:43:09

I have that Karcher window vacuum. It's crapola!!! I've gone back to doing them by hand. Like i chucked fifty quid in the bin hmm

thegirliesmam Sun 05-May-13 08:50:10

You need to work v quickly with window cleaner (soap will mpre often than not smear) and newspaper. Dont let the newspaper get very damp. The smears will be off the cloth/paper/duster getting wet, making it worse when you try and go over. Paper is good because one it is even the tiniest bit damp just use another piece. No expense on cloths, kitchen towel etc smile

Delayingtactic Sun 05-May-13 07:46:34

Window cleaner and newspaper. Honestly never ever leaves smears.

MousyMouse Sun 05-May-13 07:30:14

hot soapy water
any old cloth
a squeegy

(and don't do it on a sunny day, as the dirty water evaporates too quickly leaving streaks.)

Roshbegosh Sun 05-May-13 07:25:03

Which kercher vac is it ? Is the spray wiper that bottle with the sponges bit? Had a look on amazon but don't want to get wrong thing and do you buy their detergent?

cheeseandcrackers Sun 05-May-13 07:14:27

X5 steam cleaner, windows take seconds & are always smear free.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 04-May-13 21:13:58

E cloths and water. Scrubby one to clean, polishing cloth to finish. Nary a smear.

Vivacia Sat 04-May-13 21:11:03

I've found window cleaner and washing up liquid leave smears.

Primrose123 Sat 04-May-13 21:04:59

Another vote for the karcher window vac. It's amazing! I bought the spray wiper too.

HDEE Sat 04-May-13 21:02:31

You need the Karcher window vac. It will change your life. Takes seconds.

EeyoreIsh Sat 04-May-13 21:00:57

warm soapy water clean.

dry with the window e cloth.

amazing grin

Vivacia Sat 04-May-13 20:59:58

Dilute white vinegar and microfibre cloth. I also have a Karcher window vacuum (I use it on tiles, windows and shower screen) and highly recommend one if you can afford it.

munchkinmaster Sat 04-May-13 00:09:47

Window cleaner spray is work of smeary devil.

I used to go for fairy liquid and a blade (like the window cleaner uses). But more recently have gone for a set of micro fibre cloths (e cloths special glass set). So fab for mirrors, glass doors etc. you Wash with one cloth and dry with the other.

I agree news paper also good for polishing windows but can dirty up upvc frames if you are not careful.

edlyu Sat 04-May-13 00:03:13

1 bowl of clean water
1small squeeze detergent
1 clean microfibre cloth
1 window squeegy

Put the detergent into the water. Wet the cloth and wipe all over. let it sit for a minute. Squeegy the window - horizontal for one side and vertical for the other. If you do get any streaks wipe them off with your own clean finger ( as you have been washing the cloth out your finger will be grease free) .
Job done .

Relax with brew and biscuit grin

DalaHorse Fri 03-May-13 23:53:28

PS but prior to Christmas, a bottle of Mr Muscle window cleaner, a large roll of kitchen roll (seperate bits application and drying off) and a lot of elbow grease did the job ok!

DalaHorse Fri 03-May-13 23:51:38

You mean you've not heard of a Karcher window vac? wink

Check it out on amazon. Sometimes there are offers in places like DIY places (I think). They are expensive but addictive (and major time saving). You get a fluffy cloth on a spray bottle to loosen marks & dirt with then you hoover the spray off the window with the hand-held rechargable vac. Just the vac is fine on its own (but the handheld spray cloth thing is marginally easier than using seperate cloth and bottle as you spray and dab with one hand, hoover with other).

I got one for Christmas and have never looked back. I was a bit hmm but now I heart it!

Showtime Fri 03-May-13 23:29:59

Agree with KYTI but I'm a believer in scrunched-up newspaper for drying off.

KeepYerTitsIn Fri 03-May-13 02:55:20

Bowl of hot water with a cup of white vinegar chucked in, teeny tiny drop of washing up liquid, wash with microfibre cloth (tesco value ones are ace, £1.50 for 5) and dry off with cotton tea towel. Also, wipe inside of window horizontally, the outside vertically, then if there are any smears that show up in the sunshine you know which side of the window they are on.

Jan49 Fri 03-May-13 01:51:00

Can anyone please explain to me how you clean windows and get them to look clean instead of covered in smears? My current method involves window cleaner and/or hot water and washing up liquid and dusters and cloths and they end up very smeared so they looked better before I cleaned them. Thank you.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now