Embarrassing: BO smell out of dry clean only clothes

(24 Posts)
omri Tue 30-Apr-13 09:42:11

Yes sorry it's a gross one- but I've noticed in past few months that I have started to actually perspire during the day especially during stressy work. I have 2 showers a day and will go to chemist at wkend to try and get a stronger deodorant as the supermarket brands do nothing. But in the meantime I have an annoying dilemma: all my lovely new suits and work dresses I treated myself to recently are perfectly clean after 1 or 2 wears but the underarms truly stink! Do I have to bring to dry cleaners (they're dry clean only) or Is there a way to simply get rid if the pooky underarm smell? Otherwise it will be v expensive!!?

lisaro Tue 30-Apr-13 09:49:42

Sorry but that sounds minging. Surely you would only wear a dress once before cleaning it, if you're wearing it for a full work day. Twice and still not cleaning it? Of course it would smell.

notso Tue 30-Apr-13 09:55:22

Not sure about how to get rid of the smell if they can't be washed, but the deodorant you need is Perspirex.

Viviennemary Tue 30-Apr-13 09:59:11

You can get this very strong anti prespirant but I think it might only be on prescription. It's called Driclor (sp?) But stop buying dry clean only dresses.

dopeysheep Tue 30-Apr-13 10:00:06

Not sure about dry cleaning but I know you can get dress shields that are like pads that fix on the armpits of dresses etc then you sweat into those not your lovely clothes.
I sympathise as I am a sweaty betty and have often had to clamp my arms to my sides because of dark sweat circles.

youlooklikeaclown Tue 30-Apr-13 10:08:42

Hi Omri, have you tried baking soda/bicarbonate of soda as a deodoriser. It works for trainers etc. You could try sprinkling a heap of that around the arm pit area, leave it for a few hours and then dust it off. If you fill the foot part of an old pair of clean pop socks, knot them and hang them near the armholes when in storage. Hope this helps

DalaHorse Tue 30-Apr-13 10:11:59

If you are a sweaty person, then your bare armpits shouldn't have contact with either the jacket or the dress. If you buy sleeveless dresses you need to always wear a blouse underneath.

I would wash the dresses that smell of BO, most definitely. In terms of ironing afterwards, you can buy an ironing cloth which is like mesh, you can then iron on the right side of the fabric but it protects the clothes from steam and prevents them from going shiny. (type "ironing cloths prevent scorch" in Ebay for an example.) These cloths are also fantastic on things like black cotton shirts, which often show up iron marks around collars and cuffs.

I am quite brave and wash most dry clean items in the washing machine excepting silk, which I handwash, and raw silk, which is the only item I would dry clean as it just can't cope with water.

Remove excess water by rolling item in a towel and standing on it.

To be honest you have nothing to lose from washing in the machine if they already smell of BO, as they won't be pleasant to wear.

And definitely get better deodorant. I use a roll-on and an invisible spray on top as well, in summer. I also put talc on all around and change bras every day as if your underarms are sweaty, your bra will be sweaty too smile

Beehatch Tue 30-Apr-13 10:14:02

I wash most dry clean only stuff on a gentle cycle, haven't ruined anything yet. If your clothes are basically unwearable now then it can't hurt to try washing them yourself (with the basic understanding that they could possibly be ruined)

PessimisticMissPiggy Tue 30-Apr-13 10:23:01

Have a chat with the gp about the recent change in your sweat levels to check there isn't an underlying cause.

I have some dry clean only dresses too, and I don't clean after every wear. I use mitchum roll on and let it dry properly before putting on clothes.

Alwayscheerful Tue 30-Apr-13 17:06:40

Theatres neutralise costumes with VODKA, fill a spray bottles with vodka and spay the underarm area, you will save a fortune on dry cleaning.

racmun Tue 30-Apr-13 17:11:29

Have you tried febreeze in the arm pit area.

DH has had similar problem in suits in the past.

He now uses driclor which really works - it stings to hell and whatever you do don't shave your armpits first....
He reckons driclor is better than perspirex. You can get it from boots etc.

PigletJohn Tue 30-Apr-13 17:33:33

mens' antipersirants are generally stronger and unscented, they generally all contain the same active ingredient as womens', but more of it. They may need a little longer to dry.

It is an advantage to wear something cotton under a jacket.

omri Tue 30-Apr-13 17:59:22

Thanks a million for all the helpful responses. So embarrassed! Do people really dry clean clothes after every wear?! Wow I've never had to I must be saving a fortune! Pressing and airing has always been fine for me and then dry clean after a few wears or obvs if there is any mark. i honestly have never sweated in my life - could go to gym for an hour or play a hockey match and would be red in the face but never actually sweat or smell. It's since giving birth and back at work that I am prone to it now. Very weird and Ugh!

Will try all the suggestions- thanks a million smile

Viviennemary Tue 30-Apr-13 18:25:51

My Mum always told me not to buy dry clean only clothes. Except for coats and things. It's one of the things she told me that I try to follow. I certainly couldn't afford to dry clean clothes after every wear. It would be far too expensive. Hope you get sorted out!

Winceywoo Tue 30-Apr-13 19:35:10

Don't worry about your dry cleaning habits! It's so expensive; I had a Saturday job in a dry cleaners and omg it was the dirtiest place imaginable! Try and wear a thin base layer under your tailoring and maybe have a look at the M and S machine washable work wear.

OrbisNonSufficit Tue 30-Apr-13 19:41:01

I've had this problem, it's gross - the dry cleaning fluid doesn't kill the bacteria basically. I spray mine with spray designed for stinky shoes.

Trazzletoes Wed 01-May-13 07:41:11

Perspirex or Driclor DEFINITELY. Available in Boots. They are the only things that I find work.

bootsycollins Wed 01-May-13 07:53:14

I think that the only items that genuinley need dry cleaning are wedding dresses, suits and heavy wool coats. I have a delicate handwash cycle on my washing machine which is excellent and have had successful results every time I've used it.

Is that Dr Mitchum stuff any good?

napkin Wed 01-May-13 09:02:56

What washing machine do you have bootsycollins? Would love a decent delicate cycle for these things!

Trazzletoes Wed 01-May-13 09:15:27

bootsy no it's not any good.

DalaHorse Wed 01-May-13 10:34:19

Also, put dresses in pillowcases (or special delicates laundry bags from Lakeland, if you're posh grin this protects them from the washing machine. Most machines have a woolen cycle on which is delicates, so check your machine for the wool symbol.

napkin Wed 01-May-13 10:45:56

Have a wool cycle but it's rubbish!

omri Thu 02-May-13 12:59:08

By the way - that Perspirex is phenomenal! thanks for the tip. although wondering have i belached off my sweat glands :/ sooooo scarily strong.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Thu 02-May-13 13:03:15

Vinegar will get rid of the smell on clothes, use it neat on the affected areas, allow about 20 minutes to work then wash as normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now