FLYlady followers flock together! Join the May fledglings – our nests we will feather!

(669 Posts)
Castlelough Sun 28-Apr-13 22:54:45

Welcome to the May Fledgling FLYers thread! :-)
... where we (loosely) follow the step-by-step Flylady housekeeping system (in our own, unique, relaxed style) with lots of and chatting along the way.

This little-and-often system is designed so that we can follow a series of steps and routines each day (which gradually become second nature) in weekly designated zones of the house; defining and minimising housework - which in theory should leave us with more time to do other, more interesting things instead!

At the same time it is intended to reduce that panicky "rabbit in headlights" feeling we get when we are overwhelmed and everything needs doing all at once.

To avoid being inundated with details, we advise not signing up to the Big Tent.

We are in the process of following Flylady's steps and routines using a three-pronged approach (dependent on the stage everyone is at):

- start or repeat baby steps

- repeat baby steps + do 15 mins a day decluttering in the current zone

- reinforce babysteps and do daily missions if you have finished decluttering.
[And if you are really enthusiastic and have finished decluttering - you can go on to detailed deep cleaning in each zone.]

Flylady site is here

Don't worry if you are behind; just jump right back in and it will all come around next month again anyway!

All the links for the babysteps and missions will be posted here every day and we'll all be here to cheer each other on. Thanks to SC, Blue, Silvery and Goth for leading us through since January and for the brilliant OP I've just cut and pasted.

ToffeeWhirl Sat 01-Jun-13 00:12:18

Not sure if I just missed the link above, but can't see it, so for those of you looking for next month's thread, it's here.

smile

ToffeeWhirl Sat 01-Jun-13 00:04:58

thanks Castle for running the thread this month (and giving us a good laugh on the way!).

Didn't feel great today and had a definite sense of CBA, but was shamed into action by reading a chapter of 'Little House on the Prairie' to DS2, where the DH and his wife build their house together in a day shock. After reading that, I decided I had no excuse to laze around, procrastinating, so I set the timer and now have a 'ta da' list (although not as impressive as that of Charles and Caroline Ingall's list):

Unloaded d/w
Reloaded d/w
Cleared and wiped down kitchen surfaces
Shined sink grin
Swept and wiped kitchen floor
Tackled kitchen hotspot
Cleared litter tray
Fed and watered cat
Polished taps (have an e-cloth that buffs them to a shine - very satisfying)
Emptied kitchen bin
Room rescue in sitting room (currently a Lego den)
Swished and swiped in bathroom
Changed hand towel
Tackled our bedroom (sound klaxon!) - just 15 mins made a difference
Put washing on
Put previous day's washing away
Had to go and have a lie down

See you all on the next thread....

superfluouscurves Fri 31-May-13 23:55:28

[SC drops by on way to bed, covered in flour ...leaving small weary puddles of lemon drizzle icing on each stair tread]

Huge, humungous, wing-flapping thanks to Castle for guiding us through May flowers

And good luck and thanks to Pushme for volunteering to call the tune in June ...

Just think you are spot on about everyone needing creativity to balance things out - v. important to remember I think and not at all frivolous need either - and congrats on new future gdc!

Goth¨/Swan just mis-read your posts s referring to 'canapes' (have food on the brain obviously) but see it is an impressive sewing project!!

Hope your dh OK Doris

And that your cat recovers quickly Swan

Well done with all the studying Silvery

Waves to Narky Pushme Katandkit engels and everyone else...

School fete baking bonanza recommences tomorrow morning at 6am. Can I make an early request for naughty corner bar to be fully stocked by tomorrow evening with gurneys and alcohol available intravenously please?

NarkyNamechanger Fri 31-May-13 22:38:12

Ah swan, should have got them to wave to me! smile

Swanhilda Fri 31-May-13 22:27:35

Canopies wow, Goth. I have my heart set on making a oven glove and some table napkins. Will it ever happen?

Swanhilda Fri 31-May-13 22:25:52

DH took dcs to Windsor Castle today, as makeup for a week not really doing anything with them (although I admit he has a job blush so isn't meant to be looking after them anyway.

He said it was the most expensive non-event Stately Home he had been to for a looong time. However, good day had by all as they picnicked in Windsor Great Park afterwards and went by train which is 15 mins from here..and as a result.

I managed to pay car tax
vet visit x 2
shop for supper ingredients
take two dcs swimming in late afternoon
two big bags of rubbish from utility room
patch grass
sweep patio
deal with cleaning lady. You wouldn't think we had one, the house is just getting untidier and untidier by the week. Not her fault, ours. Today she managed to clean the kitchen and do ironing, and mop downstairs, and that was it before the clutter and nameless piles of indeterminate objects defeated her blush and me.

Mother cat seems a bit calmer and now just wants loads of playing [maybe her kittens were playmates for her....flowerssad Second cat has some sort of swelling under his jaw, vet thinks a beesting or a fight. Third cat has gone off to some party on the rooftops somewhere as he has disappeared into the night...

SilveryMoon Fri 31-May-13 22:09:49

Yes, would also like to say a huge thank you to Castle for running the thread this month even though I got her confused with goth a few times
and thanks to blue for taking the lead next month.

Not really, I know it's pmpy......................please say I'm right with that one [worried emoticon] wink

NarkyNamechanger Fri 31-May-13 21:22:09

Thank you for running the thread castle

Thanks for the tips. The third scrub with upholstery cleaner seems to have done the trick, fingers crossed.

thanks to Castle for this month and PMPY for next.

managed to get my work done despite DS1, but not the house bleugh. Less admin than I'd have liked but did get to do bike riding in the sunshine (him not me).

GoingGoingGoth Costa Rica Fri 31-May-13 20:06:49

KitandKat play definitely counts as a ta-dah, it's often harder work.

Blue has the smell gone yet?

I've been a bit erratic posting this month, as we say June IS the new January grin

Done
Washed, dried, ironed DD's curtains
Changed tap top on curtains to pencil pleats
Made separate linings
Hung the bloody things
Have now shortened and pinned hems, just need to hand so (another day)
Made a new canopy for DD's bed
It now has white top (with multi coloured stars) and 5 panels (2 each side) hanging down. Really quite happy with it.

DH made dinner (curry), so had small portion and still under 600 calories for the day. Didn't feel hungry until I sat down to eat. Will weigh tomorrow.

Big thanks thanks to Castle for this month's thread, winefor PushMe for next month (I found it helpsgrin)

KatAndKit Fri 31-May-13 18:46:40

Been too nice this afternoon to do any housework smile However, I have done reasonably well and I do have to remember that playing with DS does actually count as a job and is not the same as getting nothing done.

My "ta da" list:
-up, shower, dressed, blow dry hair, self and baby breakfasted
-walk with buggy via co-op to get some bits of shopping
-remove god knows how many receipts from handbag and various other crap
-a small amount of living room tidying - DP vacuumed it the other day so I didn't need to do that so I sorted out the baby stuff down here.
-cook lunch serve lunch and then tidy up the pasta bomb under the highchair
-prep veg for dinner
- have a very nice playing session and read DS some books
-take him out for a drive so he goes to sleep while I have a break reading in the car
- Go to park
-put the washing machine on
-tidy up the toys

I used to think I get nothing done all day but when you actually write it down that isn't bad with a one year old in tow.

Castlelough Fri 31-May-13 18:24:01

Ooh! I've no more links to post!!!
It's amazing how many wishy washy babysteps there now are. Has it always been that way? Thread leading has been good from the perspective of actually clicking on every link and reading them for a change
Waves to everyone!
Lovely long weekend here, which I started off with a nap! blush DH is getting dinner ready downstairs! shock Must go investigate how it is that HE never manages to burn anything!!!

SilveryMoon Fri 31-May-13 17:45:34

Oh my! Is it really June already? This year is FLYing by (see what I did there? wink grin)!

I know I appear to of sloped off and been taken over by the lazy daisy lately, but I am still here, still doing routines and trying detail whenever I can. I have been studying lots as trying to complete my current course so I can start degree in October (although should really leave it til Feb).
Will def try to make more of an effort to be around as June is the new January wink

Jamillalliamilli Fri 31-May-13 14:25:47

Still to do
Find documents
Complete and send future plans for court of protection.
Oversee physics and statistics revision.
Book computer for exams.
Post office
Clear insurance unit into cheaper unit.
Prep bedinshed for weekend of everyone being there at same time.
shopping
dinner
call friend
sleep

Castle currently only the headlight of the oncoming train I'm afraid, but I plan on lying flat!

SC thanks, with hindsight it’s a wonder it didn’t hit before. Things will get better, I just have to keep plugging away. There’s been a lot of destruction recently and no creativity to balance it unless you count another but unexpected DGC on the way, which is both potentially a joy but also a big worry.

Bitchy I now have a vision of you surrounded by Dr Who style angels, arms raised…

Blue my favourite is slightly watered down Ariel mixed with bicarb, paste on, scrub let dry, hoover of.

Will catch up with everyone as we go hopefully.

Just a quick flap through to let you all know that i haven't forgotten about next month wink

BBL to open the June thread smile

DorisShutt Fri 31-May-13 12:00:00

Currently sitting the garden, watching the sea haar wander this way, so making the most of it and watching DS play while MNetting encouraging him from afar.

Two loads of washing hanging out though so I'm not totally slovenly; but the third load will be hanging up inside as I think I may have to bring the rest in if the fog comes much closer. Supermarket later on. Also made a GP appointment for DH at his request so it's more than man-flu confused

See you all on the new thread... unless I get really bored and pop back this afternoon; which is highly likely!

CHBitchy Fri 31-May-13 10:42:36

You blinked. you all sodding blinked. Soooo busy this month. And I look like someone has beaten me up this morning. How is it a bruise can look like it is going to be mahoosive and vanish over night or look like nothing and turn out to be a great lump with pretty colours?

Slept in. Obviously needed it. But lacking motivation to move atm. Solution is going to have to be coffee isn't it.

superfluouscurves Fri 31-May-13 10:19:26

x posts Waves to Goth
yes, where has May gone?

superfluouscurves Fri 31-May-13 10:15:02

Oh poor you blue. Have you tried bicarb of soda?

(I think you can make a paste with water and scrub with that for some areas. Then for carpet, you can just sprinkle on the dry powder and leave overnight before vacuuming. YOu can also leave cups of dry powder around car overnight to absorb smell.) If that doesn't work, perhaps white vinegar? At least natural products don't add an overlay of nauseating chemical smells to the mix!

Great to 'see' you Engels!! Sounds as if you are spinning a lot of plates atm ... sorry to hear your dh is still struggling. I hope the end of term is within sight for you....

Well done Kitandkat it's always great to have newcomers to the thread to ramp up enthusiasm levels!! Congrats on your forthcoming wedding!!

Right, have finished mopping the flood that resulted from dh fixing wm (big wodge of fibres blocking pump). Shouldn't have been so sceptical about this handyman skills!! Can now dare to venture out now I'm fairly confident it won't flood again ...fingers crossed.

Have a good day everyone!

GoingGoingGoth Costa Rica Fri 31-May-13 10:13:14

Morning all, where has this week/month gone?

Yesterday I was assisting at DD's sports day, and then she had a friend over after school, by the time bath & cuddles were done with it was almost 10pm! shock

Today's plan is making the blackout linings for her curtains. The curtains are already in the wash, and everything is ready for me to start.

2nd fast day today, so I will have lots of water as I dehydrated a bit on Wednesday. Not feeling hungry yet (but that's probably due to the massive amount of pizza I had last night) Got massive amount of salad in the fridge, which I'm in the mood for. Just got to figure out what I'm going to feed DD tonight.

BBL

Morning all. Am trying to work and do house bleugh with DS1 underfoot this morning...

Still, have achieved something - found a lovely local photographer who took a head & shoulders shot for my website for an affordable price, done there and then, and I can pick up the disk tomorrow. smile

On the subject of car cleaning - any tips on getting out the smell of sick?? Have been scrubbing and scrubbing but it still reeks. sad

KatAndKit Fri 31-May-13 08:43:34

Right I am doing well this morning - washed hair and took the time to blow dry it a bit more nicely - no bobbles here today!! Dirty washing is in the machine waiting for a bit more of the same colour to join it, dishwasher has been emptied. Bleach has been added to toilet. A very satisfactory start.

To do today
- get DS to have a morning nap whilst going for a walk with the buggy
- continue with declutter of living room
- put away clean washing
- tidy handbags (the car is too big a job for today!)
- take DS to toddler play group
- if possible tackle some wedding admin - we are choosing our rings tomorrow smile

Engelsemama Fri 31-May-13 07:42:14

<slinks in on last day of month>

Have managed to let RL get on top of me a bit the last month. Manic at work, DH struggling and DS playing up as only a toddler can! The house has slipped into a bit of a state. DS is on his last clean romper so I HAVE to do some washing right now blush

I don't even know what zone we're in. I need a list!

To do
WASHING!
Hoover
Water plants
Hotspots
Dust
Some time in garden with DS
Go into town to collect new glasses <hurrah!> and fancy new tablet <double hurrah!>
Supermarket for essentials/top up trip
If I can summon the energy, mark a set of books this afternoon while DS is sleeping

I will do better, I will do better. I think a wise woman once said 'June is the new January' (or something along those lines wink )

superfluouscurves Fri 31-May-13 07:34:30

[delivers morning tray of coffee and croissants to Feetheart and Swan]

If only I could do it consistently Fudge blush

The pump on my washing machine is blocked and dh has promised to help me try and fix it this morning. Standing by for a deluge said she of little faith. Other than that, supermarket this morning, baking over-drive this afternoon.

Goth & anyone else doing 5:2. Didn't find fasting too bad at all yesterday (normally get shaky if hungry but didn't happen). Only first day mind, but quite a positive start. And amply demonstrates what a greedy snaffler I am on a normal day.

Big wing flaps to Castle and everyone else!!

Castlelough Fri 31-May-13 00:09:19

Today we have had a lively discussion about mops and laced-up (or not) shoes! grin

Just it is lovely to see you. I'm sorry things still sound very tough there. I would sink into misery if I was in bedinshed, so don't be too hard on yourself. Is there any light at the end of the tunnel?

Feet lovely to see you again too! Glad to hear you have a nice day out planned for tomorrow! Regarding builders - just think how lovely the extension will be when it's done!

Hugs and waves to everyone else!
Had a lovely evening once my piano lesson was out of the way met some friends for pizza and then we went to the cinema! Must jump in the shower and go to bed, so I'm afraid I've no more personals tonight!!!
One more day of thread leading until I hand over to Pushme and retire to the naughty corner! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now