FLYlady followers flock together! Join the May fledglings – our nests we will feather!

(669 Posts)
Castlelough Sun 28-Apr-13 22:54:45

Welcome to the May Fledgling FLYers thread! :-)
... where we (loosely) follow the step-by-step Flylady housekeeping system (in our own, unique, relaxed style) with lots of and chatting along the way.

This little-and-often system is designed so that we can follow a series of steps and routines each day (which gradually become second nature) in weekly designated zones of the house; defining and minimising housework - which in theory should leave us with more time to do other, more interesting things instead!

At the same time it is intended to reduce that panicky "rabbit in headlights" feeling we get when we are overwhelmed and everything needs doing all at once.

To avoid being inundated with details, we advise not signing up to the Big Tent.

We are in the process of following Flylady's steps and routines using a three-pronged approach (dependent on the stage everyone is at):

- start or repeat baby steps

- repeat baby steps + do 15 mins a day decluttering in the current zone

- reinforce babysteps and do daily missions if you have finished decluttering.
[And if you are really enthusiastic and have finished decluttering - you can go on to detailed deep cleaning in each zone.]

Flylady site is here

Don't worry if you are behind; just jump right back in and it will all come around next month again anyway!

All the links for the babysteps and missions will be posted here every day and we'll all be here to cheer each other on. Thanks to SC, Blue, Silvery and Goth for leading us through since January and for the brilliant OP I've just cut and pasted.

Toffee such a huge step for DS1!! Just take it a little bit at a time, but you must be so pleased! I am grin for you both.

SC - well, the Cambodians do meals VERY differently! Firstly they do all cook outside just using small fires that they light themselves, no stoves or anything, but they eat their largest meal of the day for breakfast, which is when is is dry. <sensible> then I suppose if it is raining by the late afternoon they just have a bowl of cold leftover rice - they have rice with every meal, 3 times a day and mountains of it!! When I get home I never want to see another grain of rice..... EVER!!!! The pots of various rice dishes are left to bubble and warm all throughout the day and dished up when needed.
Generally breakfast - rice porridge - disgusting dishwater looking bowl of slop with yesterday leftover rice meat, fish and veg - certainly nothing that looks appetizing at 5am!!!
Then at about 11 - a mountain of rice with small bits of BBQed , meats, fish or veg - no fridges, so they have to cook it after buying it in the market in the morning, before the 40 degree heat makes it rancid!!
Evening meal - lunch time leftovers with water added and stewed all afternoon to make it into a soup, sort of <looks very unappetising!!!> then this is watered down again and left overnight to be the porridge for breakfast.

I am dreaming of McDonald's I tell you!! Proper roast dinners........ slow cooked lamb.......proper sausages and mash........ oh my, I will be 3 stone heavier by the time I come back here at the end of July!!!!

All these thoughts of food and I have lost all thoughts of housework!!

ToffeeWhirl Fri 17-May-13 16:12:58

Thanks for the good wishes, all those fledglings who know my long (and arduous) back story!

The school is really lovely and I don't see how DS1 could fail to settle there. They are used to getting children who have been unable to cope in mainstream state schools and are very laid back about it. The classes are tiny and all the children seemed very relaxed and happy. And it's possible that DS1 may be able to join a class with a friend who is already there, which would be perfect.

However, we mustn't jump ahead of ourselves. Now we know it's a good school for him, we have to get him there for a visit and see if he fits in there. Supposing they don't want him (eek!)? I can't help but be excited about it though.

Swan - I really hope your DS gets the school that he wants. It's so frustrating waiting and not knowing.

Jdub - great news about the toybox! Am all in favour of chucking stuff in boxes!

Blue - how annoying about your PC. Hope it's mended soon and cheaply.

PA - thanks for your kind words. We will definitely be taking it very, very slowly. DS1 is still panicking at the thought of it, even though he is interested in going. We will have to start with very short visits and gradually build it up for him so that he can go in September. Am looking forward to chucking all the home ed books in boxes and enjoying an extended summer holiday instead!

It's really interesting to hear about Cambodians' eating styles. I'm not surprised you have gone off rice though!

Not much Flying done today, thanks to our school visit, followed by a trip to the supermarket, then the school run. DS1's best friend is staying over tonight, so am about to start cooking a large casserole for us all.

Looking forward to wine o'clock.

smile

Toffee - that's brilliant news about the school, hope the visit today went well. I'm starting to ponder secondary school options for DS as well (he's in Yr 4 now, so a while to go but it will go quickly).

SC - oh, poor you, D&V twice so quickly is awful.

Not much Flying here been out all day and off out again soon.

NarkyNamechanger Fri 17-May-13 17:32:06

Wow that is fab news toffee Such a big step for him. I hope it works out smile

Well thanks for all the good wishes about the meeting with new parent. Unfortunately despite my good feelings, it wasn't to be and I got a rejection email this afternoon. sad feeling sad and sorry for myself.

Off to chuck some brew as sadly I don't drink wine

ToffeeWhirl Fri 17-May-13 18:24:24

Thanks, Narky. It's early days, but I am hopeful about it.

So sorry your new contract didn't work out sad.

If you want cheering up, everyone, pop over here and share in Trazzle's truly unbelievably fabulous news grin grin!

<opens champagne>

ToffeeWhirl Fri 17-May-13 18:25:20

<rushes back with fizzy elderflower cordial for Narky>

[Clinks glasses with Toffee]

Interested to hear about Cambodian meals, PA. Big breakfast makes so much sense really. I love rice but I guess I'd be craving anything but by now too.

Sorry to hear the job didn't work out, Narky.

Big wooden toy box sounds great, jdub.

I did manage to get some stuff done in the end...
Ta da!
Dusting
Hoovering
Bag to charity shop
Laundry done and dry
Big hotspot cupboard sorted out
Loads of junk removed from our bedroom
Lazy tea with boys (ie no washing up!)
DW loaded
Exercise
Worked out how to get email on my phone while PC in shop (yay!)

DH is out tonight at a charity auction organised by somebody at his work. It's a good cause but all the lots are quite low value so hoping he won't spend much!

NarkyNamechanger Fri 17-May-13 20:41:05

Lovely news trazzles grin

Castlelough Fri 17-May-13 21:19:38

LINKS FOR FRIDAY 16th MAY

This week we are in Zone 3 The Bathroom and One Extra Room We are decluttering, or detailed cleaning, in this zone for 15 minutes a day.

Babystep 18 is to read the ’11 Commandments’ and write them into your Control Journal.

The Daily Focus for Saturday is to have a Family Fun Day.

It’s the weekend – so there are no missions! grin

The Flight plan for our daily routines, should update automatically.

Finally, the habit for the month of May is to get Moving!

fudge74 Fri 17-May-13 21:31:05

<marking place>
(Utter fledgling - just reading up on concept but willing to give it a go!)
grin

SilveryMoon Fri 17-May-13 21:31:57

Trazzles That is the best news!!!! Am so so happy for Joe, you and your family. Can’t imagine the joy you must all be feeling. Raising a glass to Joe wine <cheers>
Oh Narky sad sorry about the contract
Toffee new school sounds good, hope he likes it.

<waves> to everyone else. grin
Not much FLYing here today, but tomorrow is another day.
Girl cat has left a horrid scent on ds1's bed. She s definitely getting 'done' next week.

So, off topic, I have decided to study for a degree. With the OU. I need to decide what to do.
In the running is Health and Social Care with Children and Families, Childhood and Youth or Humanities with Religious Studies.
I have no idea what to do. I currently work as a SEN TA, so the childhood and youth one would probably be the most relevant. Health and Social Care has always been an interest to me. I did it for my GNVQ and I have a level 4 diploma in it. Religious Studies just interests me, but so does History.
But then I don't know what I'd do with a degree, I am quite happy as a TA, I love my job, but at the same time, I don't want to do something I'd never have a use for.
Decisions decisions

Trazzletoes Fri 17-May-13 21:34:31

Thank you!!!

Suffice to say, flying has been limited this week due to nerves and will most likely be limited tomorrow due to hangover grin

Castlelough Fri 17-May-13 22:03:51

Well I got through a bit of laundry today, and have tidied around, but that's about it! Am off for the day tomorrow to catch up with some friends and stay the night in a lovely hotel! Really looking forward to it. Hoping to post the links in the morning before I leave internet obliging!!!

Just wondering, as we are halfway through May now shock, has somebody already volunteered to lead the thread in June??

Blue You are on fire! Great list, lots of decluttering – let’s hope DH doesn’t bring a whole load more home with him!
Oh Narky I’m sorry that you didn’t succeed in getting the new client. Hopefully something even better is just around the corner. brew
Toffee that’s fantastic news about finding such a nice school for your DS. Fingers crossed now that you can prep him for happily starting in September. I have so much admiration for all you home-schoolers. You deserve a bit of a good break now!grin
WhoKnows hope you’ve enjoyed your day out. smile
PA They certainly like their rice in Cambodia! No wonder you are looking forward to McDonalds!
Trazzles Fantastic news about such good results for Joe! wine bear *S
Swan I had to grin at your kitten story! They are a constant source of amusement, aren’t they?! I was chatting to a man who lives on my lane yesterday, and happened to glance past him in at his front porch. There was MY cat sitting inside looking out quite happily. So I said “Oh I see you’ve met my cat!” He replies “No, no. That’s MY cat!” Hilarious! This man who lives less than 100m from my house thinks he owns my cat!!! What could I say?! He was adamant!!! So I just passed it off and kept going! Now I know where my cat heads to when I leave for work in the mornings!!!
Happy weekend JDub! Isn’t DH great to pick up the toybox!
Oh dear SC, Bitchy and Doris I really hope you ladies are feeling better! Mind yourselves! flowers
Hope you are okay Silvery?
Trying to figure out who ComradeJing is – are you a namechanger?!
Goth Hope the long shifts at work are going well.
Waves to Engels , LPlate , Elliepac , Just , Honu , Pushme, MrsBodger , Foundachopinlizt , Newbie , and Fireandblood.

Castlelough Fri 17-May-13 22:12:17

Waves to Fudge - welcome!

Ooh Silvery just be sure you take your time and choose somthing that you really, really want to do! I wouldn't worry about it being relevant to what you are doing at the moment. I would go and study something you really want to - as it requires so much input of time, and money! I know! I have just finished studying a Certificate in Equine Science by distance learning - It took me 6 years!!! And if I hadn't LOVED the subject matter it would have killed me! (I'm a primary teacher btw, so totally irrelevant to my work!!!!)

Castlelough Fri 17-May-13 22:16:29

Silvery I should also add that I am the queen of beginning things and not finishing them! Began an M.Ed., completed the first year, deferred the second year and absconded to Australia for three years blush. Finally graduated with a Post Grad dip, instead of a Masters....
Then I started a Speech and Drama diploma (still paying off the loan for the fees blush - aced the performance exam and still can't bring myself to sit the written paper. blush Also completed several Millinery courses and can still not finish any of the hats I've started.....so this is the perspective I am coming from when I say to choose wisely!!!!!

ToffeeWhirl Fri 17-May-13 22:17:29

Castle - that's hilarious about your cat! He is certainly a survivor!

GoingGoingGoth Fri 17-May-13 22:23:34

Just back from work and what fantastic Trazzle news, sat here with a massive grin (and sore feet)

Been a lovely day here, so got a few jobs done this morning and then walked to work (3 miles) did loads of 'gardening' there, mainly clearing moss but I filled 6 bin bags, and then walked home! So my MFP calorie count for the day is brilliant and I'm going to treat myself to some Ben & Jerry core icecream grin

Big waves to everyone, hope you all have a great weekend, I'm working both days and it's DH's birthday tomorrow but I'm sure I'll fit some cake in.

SilveryMoon Sat 18-May-13 03:45:24

Thanks for the input Castle
I know what you're saying. I'm 31 so will be 37/8 when I complete as would do it part time through distance learning so it definitely has to be something that will hold my interest.
I am keen on child development etc and the factors that go into producing who we are iyswim.
Had another look and the degree for childhood and youth studies has a lot of the same modules as the health and social care so that might be the one for me.
Other things I like I think will be too hard like English literature and language, but history and religious studies interest me too, but do they enough?
I'm in the middle of a cache level 3 in supporting teaching and learning so need to finish that first so have some time to decide.
I spoke to the ou about student loan and I'd qualify. The payment plan seems too good to say no (nothing for 4 years then only pay back if I earn more than 21k and even then the instalments are more than reasonable) so there's nothing to lose.
I wasn't ready to study at school or at college/uni age but I am now. I want to better myself and want to prove to myself that I can achieve whatever I want to. Think it'd be quite empowering.
I think I'll speak to one of their advisors. I know there's the option of an open degree where I could incorporate different areas but that might seem indecisive.

Go goth with all that walking! And well done for treating yourself. Enjoy dh birthday

Honu Sat 18-May-13 07:16:26

Trazzles I cried at your news. So happy for you.

Silvery I know you love your job as a TA but it may be that later on in life you would want to be a teacher so you can organise your class / lessons the way you want or do something else entirely and a degree makes all these things much more possible, so really go for it. Have a look at some of the modules first because I did some OU modules some years ago, just out of interest (and before they were so expensive) and found them very variable. Some I thought I would love I was very disappointed in and others were great.

Have just deleted half this post as I decided it would out me. Suffice it to say I am a r/l stressed woman. Is the expresso still in the naughty corner and I think I need a tension-relieving bashy pillow.

Morning all smile

trazzle I cried a bit too smile
Very hopeful news for you ds toffee I really hope it works out for him - sounds promisind smile

I need to do all the flying haven't done this week. Main jobs are:
Detail clean bathroom and ensuite
Housebleugh part 1
Wash bed sheets
Buy wedding shoes for dc
Go to farm shop
Fling stuff and go to tip

SilveryMoon Sat 18-May-13 09:06:59

Honu Hope you're ok, not nice to be so stressed so early in the morning!
Thanks for your thoughts. I will definitely 100% do it, that much has been decided smile not sure I'll want to be a teacher, I don't think I'd be very good at it, and there is just so much paper work and box ticking to be done, not sure that's what I want.
Since I came out of my last career (pub manager), I wanted to be a social worker, but kind of changed my mind, it would be too hard, I can't switch off and would take too much home with me.
I also like the idea of pupil protection/welfare roles and family support/home to school liaison.
I might see if I can have a chat with my headteacher about it.

Todays list:
Strip beds
Clear breakfast
shower and dress
swish and swipe
feed cats
laundry
rubbish out
menu plan and write shopping list
food shopping
polish/dust
clean glass shelves
mirrors/tv/units etc
clear bags and purse
clear car
wipe fridge down
make next weeks sandwiches and freeze
ironing
hoover
mop
re-dress beds
hoover cat beds
filing
check diary
defrost for tomorrows dinner
lay out clothes
play/tidy
stray items away
change oil in chip pan (we don't often have chips, but dp wants steak and chips tonight, the oil looks done)

What have I forgotten???? Well, that'll keep me busy for a while anyway. Must also take the boys over to the park so I can read my book they can burn off some energy wink

Castlelough Sat 18-May-13 09:21:36

Posting the links now as I am off for the day and night to catch up with old friends on a girlie hotel night away! yay! So no flying! --to
make a change from the rest of the week hmm--

Silvery I think you will find going back to do your degree very empowering! It is tougher in ways as an adult, as there are more drags on your energy and resources, but then again, when you study as an adult it is really rewarding! Great for your self-esteem too! Best of luck with your decisions. You seem to have given it lots of thought. smile

<installs a state of the art espresso machine in the naughty corner for Honu at speed!>

Waves to everyone, I won't be back with personals until tomorrow!
xx Castle

LINKS FOR SUNDAY 19th MAY

This is our last day in Zone 3 The Bathroom and One Extra Room We are decluttering, or detailed cleaning, in this zone for 15 minutes a day.

Babystep 19 is to keep doing Babystep 1-18, and read an inspirational message from flylady about making your home your castle. wink

The Daily Focus for Sunday is to Renew Your Spirit.

It’s the weekend – so there are no missions! grin

The Flight plan for our daily routines, should update automatically.

Finally, the habit for the month of May is to get Moving!

superfluouscurves Sat 18-May-13 12:06:50

Trazzles what lovely news! So delighted for you all! smile And you so deserve some good news for a change x bear bear bear

A very warm welcome to Fudge74

Blue sorry about your ongoing computer hassles!

Jdub it is amazing what a difference one suitable bit of storage can have!

Goodness PA you are stalwart - fascinating about the food - don't think I would be up for rice porridge with leftover fish at 5am!! Healthy to eat main meal of the day at breakfast I suppose. We don't know we are born though do we? Virtually anything we fancy on hand at the supermarket and a continuous supply of electricity with which to store and cook it. I can imagine the lack of variety being v. v. difficult to cope with. Hats off to you.

If it makes you feel any better Swan it seems to take the combined efforts of me and my cleaning lady to tackle only a fifth of the house here not helped by the clutter blush!! Hope you get the referral you want in the end. And 'yes' to hell with exam stress ... you can literally feel the pre-exam gloom, stress and tension descending upon dc across the land here sad

Toffee great the school visit went well (sounds fab) and, as Swan says, whatever happens, it's great that your ds1 is open to the idea of it. Hope all goes well and he feels able to 'dip a toe in and try' as it were x

Sorry to hear your disappointing news Narky - it is their loss thoughx

Silvery good luck with your subject choice (and with your mammoth list!)

Thanks for links and have a great girls night Castle! (I like the combination of speech and drama, equine science and hats ... you are born for Ascot!! grin) Arf at shared confused cat-ownership. They certainly know where to get their paws bread buttered! grin Re: thread - think I may have volunteered for June (can't remember!) but can't do July and August owing to travel so would make sense. Only prob is, a bit below par atm,may have to have 2 minor operations in June but not sure atm. Happy to do it though unless anyone else has burning ambitions in that direction and no-one minds a couple of potential absences. Sept also a possibility.

Goth your work day certainly sounds v. healthy - so great not to be sitting in front of a screen

[extra strong espresso for Honu]

Waves to Pushme and everyone else ...

Battling migraine-type headache here (if it's not one thing it's another) so no Flying ... just filling the washing machine and trying to keep everything on track.

Enjoy your weekend everyone!!

CHBitchy Sun 19-May-13 03:36:56

RL has kicked off in the worst possible way again. I am fed up with it all right now.

ToffeeWhirl Sun 19-May-13 03:40:30

Sorry Bitchy. Am up if you want to pm me and have a moan!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now