FLYlady followers flock together! Join the May fledglings – our nests we will feather!

(669 Posts)
Castlelough Sun 28-Apr-13 22:54:45

Welcome to the May Fledgling FLYers thread! :-)
... where we (loosely) follow the step-by-step Flylady housekeeping system (in our own, unique, relaxed style) with lots of and chatting along the way.

This little-and-often system is designed so that we can follow a series of steps and routines each day (which gradually become second nature) in weekly designated zones of the house; defining and minimising housework - which in theory should leave us with more time to do other, more interesting things instead!

At the same time it is intended to reduce that panicky "rabbit in headlights" feeling we get when we are overwhelmed and everything needs doing all at once.

To avoid being inundated with details, we advise not signing up to the Big Tent.

We are in the process of following Flylady's steps and routines using a three-pronged approach (dependent on the stage everyone is at):

- start or repeat baby steps

- repeat baby steps + do 15 mins a day decluttering in the current zone

- reinforce babysteps and do daily missions if you have finished decluttering.
[And if you are really enthusiastic and have finished decluttering - you can go on to detailed deep cleaning in each zone.]

Flylady site is here

Don't worry if you are behind; just jump right back in and it will all come around next month again anyway!

All the links for the babysteps and missions will be posted here every day and we'll all be here to cheer each other on. Thanks to SC, Blue, Silvery and Goth for leading us through since January and for the brilliant OP I've just cut and pasted.

superfluouscurves Wed 22-May-13 12:43:12

Hullo everyone. Karcher's dancing on the screen here too.

Nowt much to report. Getting dd ready for school trip, so naming sleeping bag, sleeping bag's bag, underlay, rucksack, every item of clothing, face cloth etc etc yawn yawn yawn. Not helped by builders down the street who sprayed us (unintentionally) with droplets of concrete-laden liquid as we came home, so now have to wash dd's coat as well. Hope it dries in time.

Am sulking very childishly in the presence of dh, who, instead of taking advantage of the fact that dd is away for the night tomorrow for the first time in ages, has decided to go away on a business trip. Oh well, at least I get the remote control to myself... .

I shouldn't be horrible, to be fair to him, he is under horrible stress with three hideous dead-lines at the office. It's just that the stress pervades everywhere else as well. And you kind of say to yourself "when will it ever end?" knowing that, it won't. Ever. sad

House (downstairs at least) is looking surprisingly spick and span. [How did that happen? shock] First floor not so great, but improving slightly.

Trying to do missions but like Goth I cba to haul and climb ladders today.

Sorry your ds1 is ill today Toffee (although, as you guessed, explains melt-down yesterday) Hope tea stains come out - have you tried Vanish (ordinary bar + elbow grease = works on most 'organic' things) sorry to sound like an advert

Same re: your dd Trazzles (glad to hear you have your mother's support, though I can imagine the need for "alone time" -not that I imagine you will be getting much of that atm -is also strong) Thinking of you on those hospital visits x

Glad you had a good b'day Narky. Any joy at Ikea? [nosy emoticon]

Swan think the cleaning-up prior to, and post, renovations is almost as bad as the actual renovations themselves

Arf at blow drying sock Feetheart!! grin Brilliant!!

Hope you find your mo-jo Doris!! And anyone else who has lost theirs. Mine deserts me on a regular basis [SC pictures lots of little hairy legs wearing doc martens (for some reason) confused disappearing over the horizon] grin

Big stonking waves to Castle Whoknows Bitchy Pushme Silvery Fireandblood Engels Newbie Blue PA Honu Just JdubEllie anyone I've forgotten (especially newcomers - (sorry) )

Right, strong coffee, then back to àç!è§( name tapes ...

And sorry for whinging as usual grin

And another browser

DorisShutt Wed 22-May-13 14:09:28

Afternoon all.

Work today so no flying apart from the usual everyday whatsits.

In the middle of a fast day and trying not to eye up the jaffa cakes a helpful colleague has brought in.

Mojo hasn't really come back, but I'm trying just to keep on top of the house for another few days until I feel a bit better.

As a positive thing, I've just found out that DS has got a space at nursery for an extra day, so when I go back into the office for two days a week in September, then I'll still have a day "free". Is it bad that I'm finding this quite exciting?! confused At least when he gets funding for nursery in January, I'll have the days I want rather than having to join the lottery for the place.

Pouring with rain here so that's not helping with motivation...

ToffeeWhirl Wed 22-May-13 14:25:44

Not bad at all to look forward to a day 'free', Doris - very normal, if you ask me.

<hands over fat-free virtual Jaffa cake>

Done :

Binned lots of clutter
Cleaned sink, bath and loo
Wiped bathroom surfaces
Cleaned shower screen
Threw away old shampoo bottles etc in bathroom (that was a mission from last week, I think blush)
Room rescue in sitting room
Washing
Checked on DS1, who seems perfectly happy drinking Lucozade in bed with his XBox tuned to YouTube

NarkyNamechanger Wed 22-May-13 18:57:20

Oh fab doris I will be in the same situation - cant wait!

Hope ds1 is feeling better toffee

sc I spent £120 at ikea, mostly on things for work, they have a lovely cardboard 'market stall' which has been a huge hit, an easel, puppets, stools that stack for when I have extra round the dinner table, toddler cutlery, door mats, toy boxes and tea lights!! smile

Castlelough Wed 22-May-13 19:15:22

Oh for God's sakes. I have just posted tomorrow's links on the WRONG thread. And it took me AGES, as I am on my phone and I have no Internet.
I will try to post them here again later, but I have to rush off now to a B.O.M meeting.
The links can be found on the oven cleaning thread for anyone who REALLY needs them in a hurry.blushblushblushblushblushblushblushblushblushblushblushblushblushblushblushblush

So sorry I am failing at thread leading so miserably

CHBitchy Wed 22-May-13 19:22:49

Castle That is not failing that is fucking brilliant grin you have cheered me up entirely!!!! btw what is a BOM meeting

ToffeeWhirl Wed 22-May-13 19:26:52

That is so funny, Castle!

I agree with CHB grin. Brilliant!

superfluouscurves Wed 22-May-13 19:27:11

Just cutting and pasting for you Castle grin grin grin

Links for THURSDAY 23rd MAY

We are in Zone 4 The Master Bedroom this week, decluttering or detailed cleaning for 15 minutes.

Bby-step 23 is to add an afternoon routine to your Control Journal.

The Daily Focus for Thursday is Errand Day.

The Flight Plan and Daily Mission can be found here. Today's mission is to tidy the hotspots on your nightstands.

*****************************************************************************************************

And you are doing great - you may even have recruited some oven-cleaners along the way!! grin

superfluouscurves Wed 22-May-13 19:28:53

hmm B. O. M.

Bugger Off Mumsnet?

Bog Orf Missions?

Bloody Orrible Meeting?

superfluouscurves Wed 22-May-13 19:41:08

Doris everyone needs a free day ...[hides Jaffa cakes]

Good your ds1 is feeling a bit more chipper Toffee

Love the sound of the market stall Narky

Just whittling away time on the computer (which is stationed conveniently near the stairs between dd's bedroom above and sitting room below) because dd is so thoroughly over-excited about school trip tomorrow that she keeps trying to sneak downstairs to put yet more toys in her rucksack ...

grin castle

No chance whatsoever of me on an oven cleaning thread!

Off to bed but might dust and tidy bedside table (now I know why I keep calling it a nightstand and goes hmm hmm hmm ) blush

Yey for the ad blocker - thanks Doris!

Castlelough Thu 23-May-13 01:04:43

gringringrin thanks SC! gringrin
Glad I cheered you up Bitchy!!! Cheered myself up too, coming back on here - am so blonde sometimes!!!
BOM (Board of Management) ha! laughs at the idea of me trying to manage ANYTHING more challenging than thread leading!!!

So, who wants to give it a go next month?!!! You can't make a bigger blunder than I did tonight!!! grin

Go on then I'll do it smile

Not promising great things though grin and I can't do the last couple of days of the month.

Promise not to namechange mid thread though so that should be a start grin

Castlelough Thu 23-May-13 08:14:15

Oh thank you Pushme! SC did volunteer if nobody else would, but she did January so thank you so much!
I don't mind covering the last few days when you can't do it! if I am let! grin

CHBitchy Thu 23-May-13 08:26:24

grin pmpy I don't think it was the name change mid way through that was the problem on my infamous turn at thread leading. it was the whole fucking way through... Never going to live that one down.

I need to be productive. I don't want to be productive.

superfluouscurves Thu 23-May-13 09:11:30

[espresso] to Bitchy

dd has been despatched - rucksack larger than herself - was unprepared for extreme pitch of excitement reached by 9 yr old girls !!

Pushme my offer still stands if you are being pulled in all directions (excuse the pun wink) at work. Otherwise, thank you hugely for volunteerng!

Dashing off to printers. Back early eve. Have a good day everyone!

GoingGoingGoth Thu 23-May-13 09:16:21

<snorts> at Castle that was brilliant

Looks like it's another CBA day today, we overslept and usually the adrenaline sets me up for the day, but DH has taken her to school & I am now curled up on the sofa with iPad, seriously considering going back to bed.

DH got my website live yesterday, after a lot of swearing I would not have had a clue what to do!

And I made a rhubarb crumble.

Doris just wanted to say you are doing great, I read your blog everyday, and am seriously considering trying it too.

Morning all.

I'm still trying to get the study/office/spare room organised. I've now rearranged my desk, which I think looks much better. Still too many books though. Sigh.

DorisShutt Thu 23-May-13 09:27:54

Urgh. Pouring down here and I've just put the heating back on again as I'm (despite thick socks and two jumpers) freezing. sad

blush at Goth - I didn't realise people were reading it really. It's more a random collection of my thoughts, but MNet have included it in their bloggers list, so I have an incentive to update it. I suspect the next entry will be tomorrow and will be "Shit... I've put weight back on" sad

I'm supposed to be going out to do toddler group admin this morning, but I'm seriously tempted to cancel and just snuggle with DS; but my sense of duty will prevail.

Flying wise I need to:
- Empty D/W
- Sort a load of washing
- Strip and wash spare bed & guest towels
- Apply for holiday credit card
- Stick a rocket up DH to get him to cancel old credit cards
- Trip to supermarket

Nevermind my mojo being lost, I think my brain is too!

CHBitchy Thu 23-May-13 09:49:22

Sooo today I have decided to deal with laundry and my room. This will either motivate me or you will find me in the naughty corner snuffling chocolate and coffee rocking. Not sure which yet. Been looking at the lovely blankets the woolly hugs crew have been making. Need to get on top of things here, I want to make one but can't with the level of chaos that is going on atm. Also considering a blog but this is all randomness and procrastination from the task in hand. A room that is somewhere nice to escape to.

ta da
cheesy bread dough in bread machine
ds to school without killing him or too much shouting
drink coffee
consider the day
be shocked by ex. (who is generally know for his twantishness but is actually being supportive and ok today)

So much to do a to do list will take to long to type and will scare even this lover of lists.

ToffeeWhirl Thu 23-May-13 10:07:57

Have also put the heating on this morning, Doris. DS2 and I were freezing on the school run.

Pushme - thanks for volunteering for next month's thread-leading extravaganza (maybe we could play Hunt for Today's Links in Active Topics? grin).

Am surrounded by mess, in spite of tidying up yesterday <sigh>. I think it's down to me being the only one tidying up in this house, although, to be fair, DH did load the dishwasher last night. Am going to ignore it, though, and get DS1 to do some home ed work this morning, as he is much better.

Drinking my morning cuppa, then will get on with things...

ToffeeWhirl Thu 23-May-13 10:09:18

Am going to ignore the mess, I mean - not DH loading the dishwasher.

CHBitchy Thu 23-May-13 10:12:26

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Don't make me go play in active conversations! It is scary out there sad

ToffeeWhirl Thu 23-May-13 10:34:30

<drags self away from Active Convo>

But it's a good method for avoiding housework, CHB.

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now