Why oh why is my bathroom so dusty?

(36 Posts)
poachedeggs Fri 26-Apr-13 11:27:26

I'm suspicious that it's from the loo roll but everybody else has a nice dust free bathroom. Maybe they dust every day.

I mean every nook and cranny, the plants, the bottles, the bath toys, the window sill, the tiles, all of it's covered in a thick layer of dust. I could dust and Hoover the entire room daily and it just comes back. I have pets but they don't come upstairs (the cat does but he's the least dusty) and otherwise I have no idea. Do I just need to exfoliate more? blush

Any suggestions that don't involved crawling around with a damp cloth daily are welcomed.

Mandy2003 Fri 03-May-13 20:54:12

Having just spring cleaned my bedroom, I am currently blaming antiperspirant spray and talcum powder for the amount of dust!

It doesn't happen in the loos at work and we use cheap toilet paper.

TheWave Fri 03-May-13 17:06:24

We've got loads of dust daily but separate loo so can't be loo roll tho.

MyMelody Fri 03-May-13 16:57:53

I blame the shop brand loo rolls, I have switched to a posher one and much less dust confused

ConnieLinghurst Fri 03-May-13 16:48:31

I find that hairspray leaves a white powdery dust over everything whichever room I use it in - not sticky - just powdery

Jan49 Fri 03-May-13 02:12:16

Do you use an air freshener spray next to the toilet? I think that creates a kind of dust. I used to have a downstairs toilet and wash basin with an air freshener spray. We didn't open the window a lot as it was really easy to forget to close it and we were afraid of getting burgled. The plastic lamp shade used to develop a dust layer like fur after a few months. The painted walls also got dusty and needed washing. The surface of the plastic bin lid seemed to be damaged by the spray confused.

Or maybe the plants are causing it, or someone using a lot of spray deodorant or talc?

choccyp1g Wed 01-May-13 21:58:13

I blame toilet roll, when we have sainsburys velvet you can see the dust motes flying off into the air.

I think it has got worse recently, probably due to them cheapening the paper so I have now deliberately changed to quilted rolls.

Already I notice less fluff flying into the air.

Softlysoftly Wed 01-May-13 21:49:27

X post

Softlysoftly Wed 01-May-13 21:49:02

I'm blaming toilet roll it can't be dead skinas the downstairs loo has the same thick dust!

It's the bog roll. Some brands are worse than others (kittensoft I'm looking at you)

Can't be skin as it's worst in our downstairs loo which is just a toilet and sink but is the one with the highest loo roll usage.

MrsHiddleston Wed 01-May-13 19:25:25

Toilet roll, spray deodorants and skin... sad <bleugh>

LubyLu2000 Wed 01-May-13 13:27:36

I think it's a combination of people getting changed and skin shedding confused etc but mostly I think it's lack of carpet & soft furnishings. We have all tiled floors in our house (not UK) & it never ceases to amaze me how dusty everything gets so quickly. Carpet absorbs a lot of dust (which is a bit yuck when you think about it) and stops it floating around the room & settling on everything else.

EarthtoMajorTom Mon 29-Apr-13 19:47:01

Towel problem here too. Navy towels = blue fluff and dust.

PigletJohn Sat 27-Apr-13 22:33:46

perhaps because you towel off the skin in bedrooms.

Dust mites will gobble it up gratefully.

redwellybluewelly Sat 27-Apr-13 21:41:38

We've no extractor fan in our bathroom (doesn't seem to need it) and we dry off in our rooms due to space and warmth issues but our bathroom has seriously less dust in it than bathrooms in our last house which were big enough to dry off in and also had an extractor fan.

Like it a lot!

RawCoconutMacaroon Fri 26-Apr-13 12:47:17

Piglet, one of those might solve the problem!

NorbertDentressangle Fri 26-Apr-13 12:17:01

When I redecorated our bathroom about 6 months ago I bought some new deep red coloured towels.

They are still shedding loads of fluff as all the surfaces quickly have a layer of reddy pink fluff that builds up.

What with that and the fluff they leave behind in the tumble drier I'm surprised there's anything left of them.

In fact.....do towels regenerate? hmm

HazeltheMcWitch Fri 26-Apr-13 12:15:10

I reckon it's a mix of all of the above. Dust from loo roll, a bit extra skin, crap coming in the open window or extractor; but mostly it's the lack of soft furnishings and the way that the hard, shiny surfaces cling on to dust that make it more visible. Also, lighting tends to be bright, colours tend to be light, so you see it more.

PigletJohn Fri 26-Apr-13 12:13:37
poachedeggs Fri 26-Apr-13 12:11:48

Right, I've taken the extractor apart as best I can, it's still foul but better.

I will report back with findings (if are any of significance).

RawCoconutMacaroon Fri 26-Apr-13 12:06:20

One of our shower rooms has an extractor fan directly above the loo, and every time the wind blows in a particular direction the loo is covered in dust and little bits of stuff... Looks like I haven't dusted in a month. I do Hoover the vent occasionally but it makes no difference as the stuff is blowing in from outside.

I like the idea of blaming the extractor fan!

Startail Fri 26-Apr-13 11:45:25

Our bathroom is tiny, people grab towels and get dry in their rooms. Likewise DDs spray apply deodorant, brush their hair and do make up in their rooms, but the bathroom is still covered in fluffy dust!!!!!

dizzy77 Fri 26-Apr-13 11:42:33

Ah cross post. Will try the towel shaking thing. And start rubbing myself down again with one of those shower flower things.

poachedeggs Fri 26-Apr-13 11:42:20

Away to Hoover the extractor!

Mrsrobertduvall Fri 26-Apr-13 11:41:38

Maybe deoderant or talc?
It all sticks to the skirting boards, despite washing them every week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now