Manky washing machines drawer

(11 Posts)
Alwayscheerful Thu 25-Apr-13 06:53:18

Use white vinegar in the fabric conditioner section and spray the rest of the drawer with white vinegar. Your washing will smell clean and your clothes will be soft and stay clean for longer.

Put the powder in the machine drum before your put your washing in.

Chippychop Thu 25-Apr-13 06:49:40

It's now looking fab! Cheers

Facebaffle Wed 24-Apr-13 17:17:06

Take out drawer and scrub with bleach. Spray hole with bleach, leave for a while and then scrub with a toothbrush.

I do a 90° empty wash with soda crystals every 3/4 weeks. I use my machine on a daily basis.

I now take the drawer out after EVERY wash and leave it to dry (I store it in the drum). The black has never returned.

PigletJohn Wed 24-Apr-13 16:58:31

1) yes

2) rarely, but it can wash off and into the drum and leave little black marks.

Incidentally, it doesn't seem to happen when you have a water softener (other opinions needed) which are better at dissolving things. Hard water also leaves limescale which is a rough surface that grime and mould can cling to.

Chippychop Wed 24-Apr-13 16:07:03

Thx for the advice I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

PIGLET do you mean literally put the powder into the drum??

Will the black gunk have had any effect on the cleaning of my washing?

PigletJohn Wed 24-Apr-13 15:23:50

the slot that the drawer slides into:

take out the drawer, spray "kitchen cleaner with bleach" onto all the black, especially the "ceiling" of the slot. Leave it for ten minutes or more, then scrun with a toothbrush. The bleach kills the mildew, and the spray is formulated to remove soap deposits and limescale that it lives on.

One way or reducing drawer grime is to throw the powder to the back of the drum, instead of putting it in the drawer. Less soap deposits means less for the mould to live on.

Leace the drawer, and the wm door, slightly open after use so it can dry out.

DewDr0p Wed 24-Apr-13 15:02:55

Grim isn't it? A toothbrush only goes so far I find (the bits where the water comes out of the actual machine gunge up too and can't take that bit out for cleaning). When I had the washing machine fixed (non related issue) the guy helpfully took it all out and cleaned it properly for me. But now it's starting to get manky again so watching with interest!

Dishwasher idea is a good one, will give that a try.

yani Wed 24-Apr-13 13:46:15

I too have to get out an old toothbrush for this job now and then, i don;t think you'll ever prevent the build up, but you could reduce it by leaving the drawer slightly open between uses. the air can circulate and dry it out, rendering the environment less black stinky stuff friendly.

50BalesOfHay Wed 24-Apr-13 13:39:33

I take it out and put it through the dishwasher in the 'yuck' wash with cat dishes, bin lid, stirrups etc then run a cleaner through the dishwasher

Ooopsadaisy Wed 24-Apr-13 13:35:11

Lurking.

I regularly have to take an old toothbrush to my dispensing drawer too.

Using Soda Crystals in the machine helps I think but doesn't take away the problem completely.

Chippychop Wed 24-Apr-13 13:29:26

I took out the powder dispensing drawer and it the surrounding casing was black Is there an easy way to keep this clean? I've gone at it with a toothbrush and am running an empty cycle to rinse the machine. I suspect the rainwater harvesting tank which we use to do out washing doesn't help. But any advice would be welcome

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now