How often do you wash your bedding?

(68 Posts)
peachcake Sat 20-Apr-13 23:19:43

I have been trying to do mine and my four children's beds every week but finding it impossible and feeling guilty! How often do you honestly do yours and your children's? Hoping its less often than weekly so that I can have peace of mind!!!

myfavouritenicknamesaretaken Sat 04-May-13 08:59:34

I'm very impressed at people's cleanliness. In my mind I think bedding should be washed weekly - that's what I did pre-children. In reality it's close to the bottom of my housework priority list and with a 6 week old DD and 2 year old DS bedding gets washed so infrequently I'm not even sure the time gap! I make an exception if an offspring pukes on it, then it will get washed. I love getting into a bed with freshly washed sheets and dream of the day when I have time to return to my OCD like principles of cleanliness, have a feeling it might not be for a while ....

somanymiles Fri 03-May-13 05:38:44

Ours used to get done by DS1 (he is thirteen and it is one of his chores) on a one set a week rota. Three beds in the house so each got done every 3 weeks which frankly was stretching it a bit for mine, but the kids spend half the week at their Dad's so it was like their's were being done every week and a half. BUT DH decided this was too frequent and so now it's a set of sheets every OTHER week and so ours only get done every 6 weeks. Frankly, I do think this is too infrequent and envy people who do them weekly which would be my preference. DH is normally a clean freak but also has a thing about "wasting" water and electricity by using the washing machine too often. Am I being precious?

Clary Fri 03-May-13 00:00:19

It was me that said I only had 3 DC - because the OP has four!

It doesn't take very long to wash a few loads of bedlinen - I don't pound it by hand with a dolly peg or anything.

I work fast. I have decided that's my secret talent. Also I stay up late!

BirdyBedtime Thu 02-May-13 21:28:21

Another fortnightly changer here - one week ours and the other week the DCs. I hate using the tumble drier unless I have to and have limited drying space. I'm a weekly towel washer too. This thread makes me feel better as I do sometimes feel a bit of a slattern.

fluffymindy Thu 02-May-13 21:12:09

Our bed every week without fail. The dcs beds are every other week as they go in clean from baths at night..... The baby's cot sheets are changed as and when as I cannot bear marks on them - you know the milky snotty bleurgh!. All our bedding is ironed and all this is done by my housekeeper blush. I have 5 children and I do a phenomenal amount of laundry anyway. Slipping into a clean bed is one of the greatest pleasures in my life (needs to get out more....). I also make sure all the beds are made neat each day - makes the room look tidier........... yes, definitely need to out more

Towels done every other day. Tea towels and washing up clothes every day........... I used to be an interesting person you know, a long time ago it appears! Very clean household linen though <bangs head on wall>

zinnia Thu 02-May-13 20:50:35

Massively relieved by this thread - I've been feeling vaguely guilty for years for 'only' changing our bed fortnightly (dds get them done more like weekly). No longer!

Everyone had 2 sets of linen, usually change at the weekend so dh can help, and I do iron pillowcases but that's it. My mum irons sheets and duvet covers but unlike me she doesn't have a full-time job and only ever had the one child!

Towels get done weekly on my working from home day. Have a horror of kids picking up things from them shudder

Crutchlow35 Thu 02-May-13 20:22:12

Once a week. Us on a Sunday and ds on a Thursday.

Thingymajigs Thu 02-May-13 19:27:45

My bed linen gets washed once or twice a week as we have 3 cats and all of us hang out on the bed rather than sit on sofas. But I'm lazier with the kids sheets.
I can't be bothered to take off 10 gazillion teddies to clean my 9 year olds bed so thats a once a month job but for my 13 year old son I make extra effort to wash them once a fortnight on the hottest wash possible.

Angubaba Thu 02-May-13 19:13:38

I'm a teacher. I do it at half term. More if someone's sick. And I'm fine with that!

popsgran Thu 02-May-13 17:37:31

once every two weeks but top duvet is turned back when we get up.the window is opened and the bed allowed to air.We lose about one litre of fluid per night I think so airing is essential as I dont want to sleep in a soggy bed.We have four sets of bedding for each bed.i dont tumble dry or iron, just shake ,smooth and hang on a rack to dry.the bedding then has 24 hr in the airing cupbord and back to the linen cupboard.hand towels are changed twice a week.(we have our own )bath towels are used twice before washing and towels do get tumbled unless I can line dry.they get 10 min in the dryer to soften if line dried.re reading that I seem a bit O.C.Am aiming for clean without fussing and it suits us

sheeplikessleep Thu 02-May-13 16:27:07

Aim for weekly, moreoften fortnightly.
I do tend to change DSs pillowcases every few days though, they get white tide marks on them.

CinnabarRed Thu 02-May-13 16:14:44

When it won't bend any more.

emalushka Thu 02-May-13 16:13:54

I'm going to be completely honest and make you all squirm. My Children's beds get done every school holiday - so every 6/7/8 weeks depending on how long the term is and ours get done once a month or sometimes every 6/8 weeks.

To the person who 'only' has 3 children, where do you find the time to wash bedding every week?! I have 3 too and barely have time to blink. (Slight exaggeration!)

wizzchick Thu 02-May-13 16:10:07

Methinks life is too short to spend laundering bed linen smile

Although I would perhaps be inclined to change DDs x 2 sheets more often, were it not for the growing mountain of Build-a-Bears and other stuffed animals lounging between me and the offending sheets.

olivertheoctopus Thu 02-May-13 16:10:05

Fortnightly. Am relieved to see that's pretty common as I was worried people would be saying "oh every week without a doubt"

usualsuspect Thu 02-May-13 16:07:35

Once a year.

flipchart Thu 02-May-13 16:05:49

All the beds get done on Sundays and Wednesdays.

noddyholder Thu 02-May-13 16:04:54

Iron it? Faints! I have all white cotton so it can all be bunged in together and towels too Makes life so much easier

smoothieooo Thu 02-May-13 16:03:45

... and not a chance I would ever iron any bedding whatsoever. Life is too short.

smoothieooo Thu 02-May-13 16:03:02

Every 2 weeks (although I may do it more regularly as the weather gets warmer). It's so much better since I got DS1(14) and DS2(13) to change their own sheets as part of their (paid) chores.

Off topic but Music - I haven't heard/seen the word 'bisom' for years (something my mum used to say all the time - 'ya dirty wee bisom')

wiltingfast Thu 02-May-13 15:55:53

Monthly if I'm lucky.

Prob less for the kids!

Def don't iron any of it.

noddyholder Thu 02-May-13 15:55:43

Every weekend and pillowcases every other day

freddykins Thu 02-May-13 15:54:44

Oh my goodness! I only change our bed when I remember ... about once a month in winter, every couple of weeks in the summer? But our LO (6 days old!) has had a clean Moses basket bottom sheet almost every day, just from a bit of spitting up.

putyourhatonsweetie Thu 02-May-13 12:32:35

weekly. sometimes I lie on internet chat forums

Bananasinfadedpjs Thu 02-May-13 10:34:52

Once a week for me and DH.

It was once a fortnight for the 2 kids, but DD1 has started wanting to "help" me change them, and wants to do hers every week at the same time too.

I have 3 linen sets for each bed, and plenty of drying space, so I don't have to worry about drying times. I do try to iron them all before putting them away in the airing cupboard, but that often doesn't happen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now