Out with the old and in with - NOTHING! Further adventures in minimalism.

(995 Posts)
MrsPennyapple Fri 12-Apr-13 21:34:59

Following on from the Minimalist Journey and Minimalist Quiche threads. The journey continues...

BeCool Sat 01-Jun-13 17:08:55

I'm experiencing an unexpected but welcome side effect from decluttering - LESS WASHING!!

I don't know how this has happened - less clothes in wardrobes shouldn't really mean we are wearing less clothes, but I'm currently running at about 60% of the loads I was doing just a few months ago.

Maybe it's down to change of season but we are still wearing lots of layers.

Anyone else found this?

CremeEggThief Sat 01-Jun-13 18:11:50

Only two of us, so usually only do four or five loads a week, but sounds like a good side-effect, BeCool smile.

I de-cluttered some leaflets and took a jug, four tumblers and five fridge magnets to the charity shop. Then I went to do some measuring and to check what we will need to get when we move into our new house. I went around, room by room, giving each room its own page. I chucked a manky mop and bucket and an even mankier toilet brush (I absolutely hate them and never have them in the house!) and the 'To let' sign, loads of circulars and leaflets, a cutlery tray and two loo rolls (no paper left) all went in the recycling bin.

I also sent all the post that had accumulated for previous occupants back, so not bad going for an hour and a half.

Evening everyone - welcome to bumble and cq and any other de-lurkers.

So - having felt really enthusiastic about de-cluttering clothes this weekend, I'm experiencing a reluctance to start! Does anyone else find this?

I will do it though!

Just off to make myself a cup of Earl Grey first!

I need to look at my list of "ins" and "outs" and put down my most recent purchases in an effort to motivate myself!!

alarkthatcouldpray Sat 01-Jun-13 21:37:44

Haven't been here in ages, great to see lots more declutterers coming aboard!

Earlier this week was DD2's second birthday. I was pretty restrained in terms of presents but family as always were very generous. I slightly feel back to square one in terms of decluttering toys as I now need to go through them all again to make room for the new ones. I am getting more ruthless though so hopefully it will get easier. And YY to the poster who said they struggle to fit in decluttering on top of the normal day to day stuff. I have done nothing over the past week as we had family staying. Really need to get back on the wagon.

On the plus side all the washable nappies and accoutrements are now gone. Baby clothes are reduced to two small vac pacs (few sentimental items, some family heirloom stuff which will hopefully go to my sister at some point and a small amount of clothes which have hardly been worn and will either go to my sister, eBay or charity in due course). There were five vac pacs (one XL) plus a giant toy box full so this is a huge improvement. Returned a toy which was mine to my DM (hoarder extraordinaire).

Pram has sadly not sold so have joined Freecycle local group and am waiting on my first post advertising it being vetted by the mods and put on the website. Fingers crossed I get a taker this time. Offered it to a second hand baby shop but too old fashioned apparently! Harmph.

Next on hitlist - pram UV cover and sunshade (should hopefully do well on eBay at this time of year), baby toys to toddlers group or the chazzer along with a bag of books and odds and ends.

DH now on board and has started decluttering the garage - yay!

Am sure I managed to get Britain's Biggest Hoarder on iplayer a few weeks ago, will need to catch up with latest episode.

LimeLeaffLizard Sat 01-Jun-13 23:36:54

Evening everyone, and welcome to de-lurkers!

alark I really also relate to the struggle to fit in time to declutter into a busy daily life. It was half term this last week and I've done very little. But from the rest of your post it sounds like you've made good progress!

It is DS2's birthday soon and he's having a party, so I expect he'll be given presents from all his little friends. With this in mind I need to have a bit of a clear out / tidy up to create some space. I've already had a chat with him about presents, and said that if he is given something he doesn't want, he could be kind and give it to charity.

I took him with me when I did a charity shop run today (finally managed to take the box kitchen stuff). I'm hoping that him seeing me donate my stuff will rub off on him, but I don't want to traumatise him by forcing him to give his toys away. I'll have to see how he responds - will let you know!

LimeLeaffLizard Sat 01-Jun-13 23:37:45

Also hoping we will have a new thread when this one is full!

Just spent a couple of hours going through my wardrobe! I really thought I wasn't too bad at keeping on top of clothes and regularly getting rid of stuff. That hasn't stopped me from identifying 16 items for the chazzer and a few bits and pieces for rag recycling blush . And this is without being very ruthless! I've kept the 4 pairs of trousers that are currently too small because I am ( yes I really am ) going to lose more weight and some "not sures".

Still it is nice to have things very tidy and organised. Like things are hanging with like etc and drawers are opening and closing easily!

At some point I need to have a more detailed "what exactly can i wear with what" sort out and maybe a few more things will go at that point.

Anyway - it's the biggest amount of decluttering I've done for ages!

Must go and eat - random "decluttered things" from freezer will be heated up!

P.S - I'm starting a new thread entitled "m". It's the most minimal title I could think of!!

Sokmonsta Mon 03-Jun-13 06:10:04

I officially hate half term and my mother's ever weirder ideas of suitable birthday presents. Why ask if my suggestions are ignored.

So dd came back from holiday with the grandparents. They gave her a money box, because it went with the pirate theme of her birthday. Despite the fact that a) it was just a convenient unisex theme dd was not particularly bothered about and b) (most important) I culled the DC's money boxes from 5 in dd's case to 2. And now we've got another of the feckers. That doesn't include the silver christening ones they were given which reside in the loft. <ponders the china ones falling off the bookshelf>.

She also came back with the usual holiday tat and a love of moshi monsters. I can cope with those as most of the tat is consumable small stuff - bubbles, pens etc.

Decluttering going badly. Boxes piling up full of tat. Am very tempted to do a blitz this week and take to charity shops before resuming the next car boot stock. I need to make some headway.

LimeLeaffLizard Mon 03-Jun-13 10:31:18

Hey, sok, back to school today and a chance to tidy up a bit?

All I managed to clear out over the weekend was my underwear drawer! At least I can close it now.

Off to find and mark my place on new M thread!

Sokmonsta Mon 03-Jun-13 16:36:12

Nope. Back to school tomorrow. Need to rummage out a swim kit for dd too. Heck knows where I put her swim hat when I bought it lol.

DownsizeAbbi Tue 04-Jun-13 09:35:17

Freecycled another lamp , mirror , cushion , box of plates and bowls which won't fit in new kitchen drawers , and have furniture ready to go to the auction. Making progress . The storage unit costs are a real incentive. People keep asking me why I don't ebay stuff , but firstly I am rather put off by some of the stories I hear about the hassle and secondly I reckon for what I would get it is actually cheaper just to give the stuff away to charity shops before the next storage bill comes in. What I am really dreading is the big box full of photos I know is lurking in there somewhere .
I am guessing ruthless editing and scanning is the way to go

CremeEggThief Tue 04-Jun-13 10:04:04

Right, another four packages for eBay, waiting to be posted; two boxes of CDs and DVDs that Music Magpie are coming for tomorrow; an art kit and lots of spare carrier bags gone to the Nursery, and a bag of 6 or 7 DVDs that Music Magpie didn't want gone to the charity shop. grin

CremeEggThief Tue 04-Jun-13 18:18:36

Two of the four eBay parcels now posted and the two MusicMagpie boxes outside, awaiting courier collection tomorrow morning.

Where are you all? confused

clearsommespace Wed 05-Jun-13 05:25:24

We're all on the new thread called 'm'.

Come and join us!

Sokmonsta Wed 05-Jun-13 11:29:06

La

Sokmonsta Wed 05-Jun-13 11:29:14

La

Sokmonsta Wed 05-Jun-13 11:29:22

La

Sokmonsta Wed 05-Jun-13 11:29:43

We've decluttered this thread <snort>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now