How do I get rid of fishy smell polluting microwave

(17 Posts)
zipzap Fri 12-Apr-13 11:12:14

oh i don't know - if heston has snail porridge then I can see a market for smoked haddock porridge, all chef-ily presented as a starter!

not helpful sorry grin

Numberlock Fri 12-Apr-13 10:57:15

Hmmm fishy smell makes me wonder if Brian's been round to your house...

Minimammoth Fri 12-Apr-13 10:53:01

I must write down all these tips. The wisdom of mumsnet.

zzzzz Fri 12-Apr-13 01:50:13

I do the same but with teaspoon of vinegar in tea cup of water. Boil then wipe with kitchen roll.

RawCoconutMacaroon Thu 11-Apr-13 22:30:44

grin that's good!

Minimammoth Thu 11-Apr-13 21:23:44

No fishy porridge this morning. It worked. Thank you.

PigletJohn Wed 10-Apr-13 21:16:13

cleaning the inside of the microwave - it is very much easier if you lie it on its back, especially to clean the roof of the cavity if it has a grill or fan. Unplug first.

Mine have the works on the right hand side, with a plastic window for the waves to come through - don't let water get in there, but the window must always be perfectly clean, or it will burn through.

if there are no works in the back, I think you can scrub it out.

the vents at the rear may also need cleaning.

Minimammoth Wed 10-Apr-13 19:57:56

Lemon done. So the test will the breakfast porridge. smile

Minimammoth Wed 10-Apr-13 19:56:16

Great, leaving open might help, thanks.

MandragoraWurzelstock Wed 10-Apr-13 19:54:31

I just tend to wash the inside of the microwave with washing up liquid, turn it off first, dry it with kitchen roll and leave it open for a few hours.

Minimammoth Wed 10-Apr-13 19:51:12

Just putting in the lemon.

Minimammoth Wed 10-Apr-13 19:49:58

They sound good, I will seek out and try.

RawCoconutMacaroon Wed 10-Apr-13 19:45:44

Mini - sorry I'm not being clear! Microwave bags (or tubs) with special steam vents on them reduce the fish smell hugely ( I love smoked fish, hate the lingering smell!), a lot less steam escapes the vents, so less smell too. Like everything else these days - available on Amazon grin.

Minimammoth Wed 10-Apr-13 19:14:38

Thanks for the lemon tip, I will give it a go. RCM, I always cover with cling film and leave vents, I think the fact that it is smoked must double the potency or something. Will report back.

RawCoconutMacaroon Wed 10-Apr-13 19:10:48

Lemon juice in a mug, with some water, boil in microwave till it gets steamy, wipe off with dry cloth.

Also, fish in a microwave bag or tub with vents = less smell. Works for broccoli, sprouts etc too!

crikeybadger Wed 10-Apr-13 19:10:00

Try putting half a lemon in a cup with a dash of water and cooking it for a couple of minutes.

That might do the trick.

Minimammoth Wed 10-Apr-13 19:06:51

After cooking smoked haddock in microwave, a normal wipe over does not get rid of smell. DH now complaining of haddock suffused porridge. It would not go down well on master chef! Help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now