Do you keep old cards?

(17 Posts)
quietlysuggests Wed 10-Apr-13 10:10:08

I have so far stored all the dozens of congratulations on the new baby cards, as well as some first birthday, first christmas, mothers' day type ones.
Also a few wedding anniversary, birthday ones.
But there are a lot of them and now I'm thinking - what is the point?
Would my children have any interest in these when older?
Is it just collecting rubbish?
(I come from a family of near-hoarders and have married minimilist-man so struggle to find the balance sometimes)
Appreciate your suggestions.

EntWife Wed 10-Apr-13 10:22:36

i have the same problem. watching with interest.

MinimalistMommi Wed 10-Apr-13 10:34:00

No don't keep cards shock
Yes you are just collecting rubbish!
No your kids won't have any interest!

PigletJohn Wed 10-Apr-13 11:21:27

you could keep a dozen or so in an album to look over when you are 88 and in a care home.

I do. I am a hoarder who married a hoarder, and we have spawned our own little hoarder.

If you can train yourself out of it now, please try. grin

Honestly, your children will have no interest - these things will not trigger any memories for them, they are just a pile of "stuff". You may or may not enjoy going through old stuff yourself because it triggers happy memories. If so, try to at least filter them so you don't keep everything as if it all had equal emotional value. So, keep a few carefully chosen ones, not all of them.

AdoraBell Wed 10-Apr-13 12:03:33

I do, but selectively. Cards from close family only and then not all of them. DCs won't be interested, if you're not keeping them for your own pleasure then you don't need them.

noisytoys Wed 10-Apr-13 12:25:23

No. Not even the ones the children make at school and nursery. There is just no space for them we already have 4 people living in a 1.5 bed flat

Sycamoretrees Wed 10-Apr-13 12:30:55

I do keep cards, but periodically look through them and if they make me smile I keep them, if they don't then they go in the recycling. It's memories that are important not the cards, but if the cards hold the memories it's worth keeping them.

moonbells Wed 10-Apr-13 13:20:27

I do, but the pile has got beyond a joke so I'm planning on running most of the general birthday/Christmas ones through my scanner! Same goes for DS's artwork. I always keep the last card I've received from relatives, in case it is really the last... (parents are both 81)

quietlysuggests Wed 10-Apr-13 14:06:04

Well I would say that the consensus, even from the hoarders, is to throw them out or maybe keep a very very few.
Thats great.
I have small boxes for each child in order to keep their childhood treasures, but they are full already and its just cards!
So I think I'll do a ruthless edit next time I am in a throwing out mood.
Thanks all.

specialsubject Wed 10-Apr-13 17:05:19

into the recycling with most of them. Keep the odd one (e.g from a loved and deceased relative), the 'does it make you smile' test is a good one.

photo the rest and then recycle.

erowid Wed 10-Apr-13 17:25:31

Christmas cards can be used again. Just cut out the design and use as tags for your presents the following year.

Thank You and Get Well Soon cards can be used again too if your sender hasn't written on the back of the design page. Just cut off the half that has been written on and resend the picture postcard with your own well wishes.

I have maybe one or two special ones in a keepsake box but most end up being reused or recycled.

quietlysuggests Wed 10-Apr-13 21:37:05

Aw thanks, I'm so glad I asked MN.
Now where should I ask about which coffee is tastiest???

AdoraBell Thu 11-Apr-13 12:19:09

Ah, tastiest coffee, eh? That's a whole different threadwink

yennycute Fri 12-Apr-13 10:26:28

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

echt Fri 12-Apr-13 12:33:25

God. I keep them, but only birthdays and more so having moved to Australia. Fewer cards year on year. And not because they're dead.

I'm not bitter. Not me. sad

HeavenlyYoni Sat 13-Apr-13 17:04:50

How about scanning or photographing them, not the same but would save space!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now