how do i get my laundry gloop to smell nice?

(4 Posts)
Booyhoo Tue 09-Apr-13 13:09:51

i made a batch ages ago with lavender oil. i couldn't smell the LO at all in the gloop once it was made and the clothes, whilst clean didn't smell nice just cheap soap smell which reminds me of school. so i went back to washing powder as i really missed the smell but the cost was pissing me off because i know i can get clean clothes for much less with laundry gloop so i made another batch at the weekend this time with eucalyptus oil but again no trace of it in the batch or the washing. i really want a nice smell. i dont want to start using more expensive nice smelling soap as that defeats the purpose of making LG in the first place. also, i use white vinegar as fabric softener but it is actually a deodoriser aswell so is it pointless me trying to get a nice smell only to take it out again with the vinegar?

Booyhoo Tue 09-Apr-13 23:18:40

bumping

erowid Wed 10-Apr-13 03:16:55

I've not heard of this 'laundry gloop' before but I've just done a quick look online and from what I can find it seems to be varying quantities and recipes of soda crystals, bicarb, ordinary soap bar with some essential oils. Is this what you mean?

If so, how much oil are you using? Most of the recipes I've found say to use 3-4 drops in a 5 litres of gloop. So for every cup of that gloop you use is then diluted with a further 10ish litres of water in your machine, the smell from the oil is going to be almost non-existent.

I would either up the amount of oil you use or just add the oil straight into the load rather than the gloop itself. You could possibly look into finding a scented soap bar to use in the mix instead.

The strength of the smell of oil may also play a part. I use soapnuts myself and scent my laundry with essential oils but I've often found delicate floral scents don't really hang around in the fabric for long. Orange oil and lemongrass have worked well for me in the past and even then I use 10-12 drops per load.

Oh, and thanks for mentioning this in the first place, I'll be having a play around with my own laundry gloop now I know how easy (and cheap!) it is. smile

Booyhoo Wed 10-Apr-13 09:19:17

blush

i put about 30 drops of oil into the batch (about 5 litre tub)

i will try putting it directly in the machine and yes the orange oil and lenograss ones would actually be nice and fresh so will get some of those. thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now