How much washing powder?

(23 Posts)
AlpacaLypse Thu 20-Nov-14 00:54:47

Rascalls3 I strongly suspect this is the very thread you mention... as I'm on it with my last username but three!

e1y1 OK so Persil say they have different formulations for different regions. Trouble is the water can be different from town to town let alone region to region. I want proof!

And meanwhile, I'm STILL getting perfect results with less than half the recommended dose, and that's of Lidl own brand too, so my washing is costing far far less than it would if I was using big brand box powders and jollops etc.

Rascalls3 Thu 20-Nov-14 00:44:26

There was a thread a while ago on this subject. You can get away with much less washing powder than the recommended dose. Someone had tested this and didn't find a difference until it was reduced to less than 1/3 (if I remember correctly). I use less than half in a hard water area.
One of the reasons capsules were introduced by manufactures is that you can't reduce the dosage as you can with powder. Anyone using the recommended dosage should try and reduce amount used by half and see if they notice any difference.

e1y1 Wed 19-Nov-14 22:20:07

I know this is an old thread, but Piglet john is correct , according to persil, the product is formualted as per the region. I wonder if the other detergents do this?

iZombie Sun 14-Apr-13 19:48:05

I use a half dose of fabric softener too. I am a skinflintgrin

iZombie Sun 14-Apr-13 19:47:43

I bought a wash powder tin thing from Tesco moons ago, and it comes with a scoop. I use one for a normal wash, two for a beastly one and it's all good. Scoop is small and I live in a hard water areasmile

fussychica Sat 13-Apr-13 17:26:27

I use tablets and usually use one per wash (think the guide is 2) plus some soda crystals. Everything is always clean and smells good. I live in a hard water area.

MousyMouse Fri 12-Apr-13 22:42:08

I measured it today. I use around 60ml.
box says 270ml for a full dirty 7kg load.
so I really use much less.
ah well, clothes get clean and smell nice and I save some money...

BertieBotts Wed 10-Apr-13 08:57:10

I use around 140ml but I like my clothes to smell of washing powder - I found if you use less they do still get clean but they won't smell nice.

MintyyAeroEgg Tue 09-Apr-13 22:51:25

I used a very generous full scoop in the official measuring jug thingy and have a 6kg machine in a hard water area. My washing is always lovely <preens>.

RunningAgain Tue 09-Apr-13 22:48:04

I also use a lot less than recommended, just chuck a bit in, don't even measure it accurately anymore and clothes are clean and don't smell

smaths Tue 09-Apr-13 21:13:23

I use half of what the box tells me to. seems to wash just fine!

DeepRedBetty Tue 09-Apr-13 21:06:39

I use half the recommended dose.

I really can't imagine that Persil solemnly make different types of powder for different parts of the country...

And half a dishwasher tablet gives just as good results as a whole one too.

This is a hard water area btw.

MousyMouse Tue 09-Apr-13 21:02:53

I use about a third of the recommended dose.
hard water area, 7kg drum.
if things are really dirty I put the same amount of soda crystals into the drum.
I put the powder directly into the drum, no more manky drawer!

napkin Tue 09-Apr-13 20:57:41

I know the box states how much to use it's just everyone says they use less so was just wondering how much less everyone uses?smile

the box gives a table with amounts to use if you have soft/medium/hard water and depending how dirty the clothes are. I don't think they have different powders for different areas.

PigletJohn Tue 09-Apr-13 20:35:31

if you live in a hard water area, the blend of Persil that the shops stock is one modified for hard water. Most people use too much powder.

I believe it is possible to tell from codes on the box, but I don't know how.

You can also add a little washing soda, which will help.

Don't waste your money on Calgon.

I use around 90 (using the measuring jug thing that you can get sent to you free) and have soft water and a 6kg machine

littone Tue 09-Apr-13 17:04:58

I use persil and use the persil measuring jug, use 40 (sorry not sure of the unit!) which is far less then persil tell,you to use. I would start with the recommended or what you use now and gradually reduce and stop when you notice the difference.

although when I use the ariel one it tells me to use double what I actually use!

what does it say on the guide on the box? Hard water tends to need more powder than soft water. Soda crystals can also help soften the water - put it in the drawer with the powder

napkin Tue 09-Apr-13 13:00:41

Was wondering how much washing powder to use in a hard water area? Have read that people use less than is recommended but how much roughly should i be using in a 6kg machine? Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now