I've just had the kitchen professionally decluttered & cleaned.

(132 Posts)
BeCool Tue 02-Apr-13 11:25:50

Well semi-professionally. A friend came to help me. She has been paid lots of money to do this for the rich & famous & she offered to help me.

I took a big breath, stepped back and let her go for it.

She emptied and cleaned every kitchen cupboard, chucked everything out of date (2005!!!!), reorganised the cupboards, got my entire bench area cleared, and the entire place sparkles. She worked for 9 hours full on, like a dynamo.

I am in awe & I could not have done this on my own. I needed help esp after breaking up with exP at Xmas - I was feeling swamped and stressed (work FT, 2 young DC, overcluttered messy small flat).

I gave the bathroom the same treatment so now 2 rooms are declutterd, deep cleaned and lovely.

Over the weekend I took out 7 large bin bags of rubbish, 2 of recycling, and 1 for charity shop.

I clucked and fretted over throwing away some items - which was ridiculous as I'd forgotten they every existed and haven't used them for years. I guess it's to be expected - after all my very DNA was under attack. I'm relearning retraining reprogramming my thought processes re buying stuff and keeping stuff and giving emotional meaning to stuff. I'm getting emancipated and it's wonderful.

I'm at work today but I want to be at home going through the other rooms smile
I'm finally feeling like stuff can just go.

I feel like life is changing for the better - all because a wonderful kind very energetic dynamic slightly OCD person stepped in & threw stuff out for me! WOW! She want's to take on the rest of the flat with me now.

(so happy I just had to share - the DC's stuff and our clothes are next to be done)

BeCool Tue 23-Apr-13 11:22:08

I am determined not to leave my dcs with boxes of things to sort out and have had to learn how to get rid of things as no one had ever taught me. - brilliant!!!! We can learn these important life skills at whatever age.

DD2 has the most gorgeous teddy bear made out of a tea towel!
Tea towels are colelctables and they would be quite quick and easy to ebaY

Just to say my kitchen and I had a visit from MN216 today.
She spent hours with us and made such a difference smile
I liked her because she's not a raving minimilist and wasn't urging me to throw everything out; I've had declutterers in before but they tended to be childless and live in tiny flats in central London!
I will definitely be seeing her again smile

Bessie123 Thu 09-May-13 13:33:03

Ooh yes, MN201 was great, helped me get rid of loads of clutter.

Bessie123 Thu 09-May-13 13:33:24

Gah, MN216

I am joining in to say I've done my clothes cupboard and have about 20 items to sell, 10 of which I've already put on ebay, and three whole bagfuls have gone to charity/recycling.
It is a joy to open my clothes cupboard now and gaze upon its lack of mess and crap - and I completely appreciate the spaces between!

Did the kitchen about 2 months ago, it was wonderful!

YAY to decluttering!

Now just need to get on top of the paperwork/junk mail etc....

BeCool Thu 09-May-13 14:51:16

Yes yes yes re celebrating the spaces in our wardrobes, drawers, cupboards etc. A joy previously unknown to me!

Y'all come and join us on the minimalist thread - "out with the old in with the NOTHING"!

MN216 Thu 09-May-13 15:56:27

Hi there thanks to Bessie123 and FiveHoursSleep for the positive feedback. Have had a good response to my message upthread offering free decluttering sessions as I develop my planned business but would like to keep the momentum going, so if you live within and hour of Watford and would like a few hours help decluttering in return for some honest feedback, please PM me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now