FLYing through April: Fledglings Spring into Action

(605 Posts)
GoingGoingGoth Sun 31-Mar-13 17:38:37

Welcome to the April Fledgling FLYers thread

... where we (loosely) follow the step-by-step Flylady housekeeping system (in our own, unique, relaxed style) with lots of and chatting along the way.

This little-and-often system is designed so that we can follow a series of steps and routines each day (which gradually become second nature) in weekly designated zones of the house; defining and minimising housework - which in theory should leave us with more time to do other, more interesting things instead!

At the same time it is intended to reduce that panicky "rabbit in headlights" feeling we get when we are overwhelmed and everything needs doing all at once.

To avoid being inundated with details, we advise not signing up to the Big Tent

We are in the process of following Flylady's steps and routines using a three-pronged approach (dependent on the stage everyone is at):

- start or repeat baby steps

- repeat baby steps + do 15 mins a day decluttering in the current zone

- reinforce babysteps and do daily missions if you have finished decluttering.

[And if you are really enthusiastic and have finished decluttering - you can go on to detailed deep cleaning in each zone.]

Flylady site is here

Don't worry if you are behind; just jump right back in and it will all come around next month again anyway!

All the links for the babysteps and missions will be posted here every day and we'll all be here to cheer each other on.

Thanks to SC, Blue & Silvery for leading us through since January and for the brilliant OP I've just cut and pasted.

superfluouscurves Wed 17-Apr-13 08:59:44

Oh no Engels!! [Hands over specially imported bottle of Lucozade and extra large pkt of Jacobs cream crackers] Good idea to take the time to recover properly - lots of these horrid bugs keep coming back. Hope you feel better soon!! flowers

CHBitchy Wed 17-Apr-13 10:57:26

<sits in the naughty corner giggling at the fact that Goth is scared of her master plan>

I slept a whole 10hrs last night <sticks tongue out> but still really struggled to get up this morning. sad hmm

ta da is very short so far
ds to school
sink into very hot bath with stuff for achy muscles
do some more serious thinking
online stuff

Just about to grab some breakfast (yes I know blush ) and get on with adding stuff to that list. Got to go training tonight which wasn't on the original plan for today but hey ho. To do list is long and cba to type it.

Catch ya laters

LPlateFlyer Wed 17-Apr-13 11:33:31

<slinks in quietly, joins Bitchy in the naughty corner>

Hi all,

Thought I'd better make an attempt at getting back to flying, but make no promises as to the regularity of it!!! grin

Having to do a mad diy/declutterring/cleaning dash as I am looking for an au pair, so need the house to be somewhat presentable!

Tada:
Fed and watered DSs (no school, off sick today)
Load of washing
emptied and reloaded dishwasher

Off now to do some DIY stuff....

elliepac Wed 17-Apr-13 19:41:16

Today i have mainly been shitegrin.

Ta da:-
Absolutely feck all

To do:-
Absolutely fecking everything

However I am not actually going to do fecking anything. Work was mad and will continue to be for the next half term whilst trying to get Year 11 ready to pass.

I am going to wallow in a bath and watch masterchef.

LPlateFlyer Wed 17-Apr-13 20:32:24

Tada:
Lots of DIY

Todo:
Getting the house into some sort of respectable order..... (tomorrow....)

Engelsemama Wed 17-Apr-13 20:54:51

<buuuuuurp!> Thanks for that sc. Staying at home to get properly better.

SC - I know what you mean about the jury service, I first did it five years ago, a murder trial, not particularly gruesome or upsetting but every detail of the evidence is still firmly etched into my brain. The one I have just done was far less intense (an assault case) and far less difficult to resolve (an hour's deliberations versus two days last time), I don't think it will stay with me in the same way at all. Nice to be getting back to normal routines again now. Hope DD comes to her senses re ballet.

Engels - hope you feel better soon

Goth - hope you got the HB cockup sorted out.

Ta-da!

Morning routine
School run
Stayed to help with reading
Into town for errands
Home and half an hour or so of OU work (distracted)
Cleaned bathroom minimal effort not much more than swish and swipe
Mopped kitchen and bathroom floors
Washing x 1
Went for a slow, short run (am restricted due to various injuries)
Had a shower
Booked car parking for hols
School run
Play with DCs
Tea
DD to Brownies
Dinner for me plus an hour's gardening (long overdue)
Fetch DD from Brownies
Put Ocado order away
Try and find DS's football kit for tomorrow (partial fail)
MAde two packed lunches for tomorrow

Phew!

GoingGoingGoth Wed 17-Apr-13 21:52:34

Evening all, well we've had a lovely sunny day here in Glasgow <laughs manically>, it has pissed it down all day, got soaked on the way to school, on the way to the Jobcentre for my 'self-employment' interview, so I gave up on a trip to the housing benefit office until tomorrow as I knew I'd get wet again! Finally dried up after dinner, so we went for a quick walk around the park. But had a lovely day with the parents planning what we will do for the rest of the week.

feet made soda bread last night, yum! and is going to see Cressida Cowell envy big fans of HTTYD too. So looking forward to the next book (erm I mean Dd is)
I think anything you put on your list counts, if it needs doing it's Flying.

SC only had 3 hrs sleep, but did get some admin done.

Engels is ill again. Probably best if you do stay off work and get properly better. .

Bitchy got a decent night's sleep, which is great, but has a really long list, and if she says it's long.......
Quick clarification required: Is it giggling or more 'mwah ha ha ha' re the master plan? shock

LPlateFlyer is back with us again, gots lots of DIY completed dispite having poorly DSs. Hope they get better soon.

elliepac had short but very precise lists grin just follow your priorities, once the dust gets an nice even covering you won't notice it getting worse unless some git wipes it

GoingGoingGoth Wed 17-Apr-13 21:59:03

LINKS FOR THURSDAY 18TH APRIL

Babystep 18 is to read the Flylady eleven commandments

Daily focus for Thursday is errand day.

Today's Mission is to shine our baths or showers, PLUS 5 Minute Rescue for the Kid's room(s)

Flight plan for our routines, should update automatically

CHBitchy Thu 18-Apr-13 01:01:29

Ah wouldn't you like to know goth <sticks tongue out>
<strokes the top page of the master plan>

superfluouscurves Thu 18-Apr-13 07:53:11

Grrrrrrrrrrraaahhhhhhhhhhwwwwwaagggggggggh!!!!

Me this morning: why on earth are you watching telly?
DD: because I'm nearly ready
Me: have you had your shower, brushed your hair and done your teeth?
DD: (sitting in her pyjamas) I'm ready apart from all that

Me yesterday: put your hair clips/shoes/form badge etc where we can find them
DD: I've put them in the bathroom
Me this morning: where are your hair clips/shoes/form badge etc?
DD: [shrugs]

Me yesterday: put the library books you need in your school bag
DD: I've already done that
Me this morning: Why are you running upstairs now, when we are late?
DD: because I need my library books

Me yesterday: Do you have you any homework?
DD: "No" (shows me blank Agenda)
Me this morning: Why are you crying?
DD: because I have a French test test I haven't revised for
Me: Why didn't you revise yesterday afternoon?
DD: Because I forgot

[SC goes and sits in darkest area of naughty corner, hooks herself up to intravenous caffeine drip and attacks large virtual doughnut]

CHBitchy Thu 18-Apr-13 08:12:01

<passes SC her emergency stash of chocolate and joins her bringing a pile of soft cushions and blankies>

Yeah Antibiotics have made me feel worse rather then better. Proves I needed them though. Def sinus infection <spares details>

to do
fuck all
sleep
take strong pain killers
collect child from school

Jdub Thu 18-Apr-13 10:05:03

Good morning!
Running late this morning! Still - now is the time to catch up!
done
all up, fed and out
washed up
beds made
upstairs bathroom s&s

to do
hoover
downstairs bathroom
meal plan
make tea
wash floor
kids rooms - quick tidy
clothes sort
start new book

Have a good day everyone x

feetheart Thu 18-Apr-13 11:40:00

SC - HUGE, HUGE sympathies. Is it too early for gin?
DS is like that. He is a bit younger than your DD but I don't see him being any other way - he is just very 'here and now' in his head and seems unable to think things through any further.
I feel much sitting on my hands tough love is going to be needed.

Engels - hope you feel better soon. DO NOT rush back until you are better <<bossy voice needed>>

Bitchy - you too, though I think even scary bossy voice won't work smile

Goth - hope you get council cock-up sorted without getting soaked

List for today:
- All up and out - done
- Washing - done
- Work - done
- MFP started again after over a year - done
- S&S, sweep kitchen floor, washing up, washing out
- Into town to collect World Book Night books - excited smile
- Make macaroni cheese and cook bacon
- DC to diving
- Dinner
- DD to Guides
- Sort out Book Festival tickets with DS as he needs to choose some of the workshops

It's DD's first night as a Guide and the timing is going to be a challenge. DS finishes diving at 6pm and after a shower we are usually home by 6.30pm. Dinner has to be ready as soon as we get in (thank goodness for timers on ovens!) and DD has to be ready to leave by 7pm we think. It is doable on paper but in practice - who knows?

Best get on, have a good day.

LPlateFlyer Thu 18-Apr-13 12:15:09

Good afternoon everyone! (Where has the bleeding morning gone???!!!)

WhoKnows and SC - I can relate to what you say about trials staying with you. I worked in prosecutions office many years ago as a secretary, and there's a number of cases that have really stuck with me over the years. It's was nearly 20 years ago now so I guess they're stuck with me forever.... I'm trying to not let it make me overprotective of my DSs though.

tada:
Fed and watered DSs
School/nursery run
quick shopping trip
make and delivery lunches hmm (that's what you get for being disorganised and running out of bread for school lunches - ANOTHER trip to school and nursery!!)

Sitting here having a cup of tea and my lunch, and browsing MN for a bit before I hit the cleaning...

LPlateFlyer Thu 18-Apr-13 12:16:36

Thanks for the welcome back Goth

DSs had a stomach bug on Monday so had to see the 48 hours through. They looked and acted perfectly fine! Thank goodness for Netflix....! grin

Hi all. Back from the Book Fair, which was fab. No idea if any work will come from it but lots of fun. Now got a mountain of work, emails and admin to catch up on so no flying for a bit!

[Tray of brew and biscuit on the bar - extra strong for SC ]

CHBitchy Thu 18-Apr-13 13:22:31

Afternoon. I have been behaving. spent the morning on strong painkillers asleep. Am feeling better for it. Going to get a hot bath and a coffee and some breakfast. will be all I managed before ds gets out of school. Then I have the joys of sitting down to do his homework with him. Yay. NOT.

It is good to have you back LPlate. Was wondering how you were doing.

superfluouscurves Thu 18-Apr-13 15:40:43

[SC, who hasn't been behaving grin gratefully snaffles Bitchy's chocolate, Blue's brew and biscuit, and glugs Feetheart's gin]

[Hic]

[And girds her loins for the evening battles discussions concerning tennis and homework]

superfluouscurves Thu 18-Apr-13 15:56:49

bitchy arf re: Bond villainesque master plan. Good you are feeling bit better - sinus pain the pits

You are impressively organised today Jdub (esp given late start)

Thanks Feetheart you'd think I'd be able to handle one dc wouldn't you? Not enjoying parenting this week and it's only week one of summer term [sigh] She is a different child in the holidays. [starts ranting and swigging more gin]
Good luck to your dd at Guides tonight - hope she enjoys her first session - and good luck to you re: logistics!!

Hellooo again Lplate Glad your ds feeling better!

Blue Do you go to Frankfurt book fair by any chance? [Sorry if you already do this/are on top of this]. Bit dreary in terms of surroundings but entire London publishing scene decamps there for a week every Oct: loads of deals done and contracts signed, business card swaps etc

Waves to everyone else. Have done minimumFlying/dieting today Hearts not in it. blush Going to try and redeem myself and produce something ineresting for dinner.

CHBitchy Thu 18-Apr-13 16:02:06

Unfortunately didn't last. Very grateful I made three different lots of tea last night so there is nothing to do tea wise here. I would love to curl up in bed and just sleep. Have to take ds out to do some shopping sad

Ds is also a different child in the holidays. School stresses him out entirely. Not a good thing.

superfluouscurves Thu 18-Apr-13 16:07:45

[gives back bitchy's fluffy pillows and blankets and creates nest for her return]

SilveryMoon Thu 18-Apr-13 18:35:34

Hello smile
TaDa
Up and made beds
swished and swiped
showered and dressed (then worked out i didn't wash the conditioner out of my hair so had to bend over the bath when dressed and face on angry)
Laundry
Rubbish out
15mins detail (I sorted and tidied the book case in ds's bedroom)
Went to work
Tesco on way home
Cooked dinner
Got changed
Homework with ds2
Washed up
Out together packed lunch
Played and tidied away
Stray item's away
Laid out clothes
Cleaned kitchen

To Do
Shine sink
Ironing
Re-pack school bags (although I need to get the boys to do this really)

I will be back to catch up.

[Continues publishing tangent] Would love to go to Frankfurt but London was enough of a logistical nightmare, SC]

Hope Guides goes/went well, Feet. DS1 went for a try-out at Beavers this evening & had a whale of a time. smile

Sorry you've been struggling Bitchy.

<Puts out more brew and starts on the wine >

GoingGoingGoth Thu 18-Apr-13 20:38:54

Hi all, links 1st tonight, will do roundup later.

LINKS FOR FRIDAY 19TH APRIL

Babystep 19 is to read the testimonials (I think)

Daily focus for Friday is to declutter your car and purse.

Today's Mission is to clear off the flat surfaces in the bathroom. PLUS 5 Minute Rescue for your Craft/Project area.

Flight Plan for today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now