Le Creuset - worth it?

(82 Posts)
escape Mon 25-Mar-13 12:03:52

Just wondering if there are any die hard fans or is it a case of style over substance before I invest?
TIA

i have some cast iron, stainless steel and ceramic le creuset and love it all.
my mum bought Tesco cast iron pan and finds it a LOT heavier than my le creuset.
my sister had some ceramic le creuset but dropped it and it smashed.
i probably wouldn't bother with the ceramics but the cast iron and stainless steel have been worth the money.

Posterofapombear Mon 25-Mar-13 13:36:56

They have a really long guarantee so if yours has broken take it back.

malinois Mon 25-Mar-13 13:37:17

Absolutely worth it. I have inherited Le Creuset over 50 years old and it's still beautiful. Great for anything slow cooked (daubes, braises etc) and can go straight from hob to oven.

Gives you a good forearm workout too.

olgaga Mon 25-Mar-13 13:40:44

LadyIsabella I wouldn't recommend the Sainsbury's ones, the base on mine buckled and it was much more prone to sticking. Have a look at the Homebase ones they are cheap and much better than Sains.

You can't use the ceramic ones on the hob - no! Only the cast iron or stainless steel.

They definitely give a better result for slow cooking - better than my slow cooker or pressure cooker any day.

limitedperiodonly Mon 25-Mar-13 13:48:19

Mine are more than 20 years old and definitely worth it. I got them in sales a year or so apart so they're different colours. I didn't realise then that mismatched colours are better than matchy-matchy so that's an accidental bonus grin

I've got two round casseroles, a shallow round pan, a round griddle and a frying pan. That's the only thing I don't use often because it's too heavy.

I lifted a bit of enamel off the smaller casserole by heating it with nothing in it. I still use it though - I just oil them now or put liquid in them first.

I really regret not buying an oval cocotte (I think they're called) because a chicken fits in really well. I have to squash mine into the round pots.

I'll look at a Sainsbury's one seeing as everyone here says they're good.

limitedperiodonly Mon 25-Mar-13 13:51:25

Or Homebase, then.

SwedishEdith Mon 25-Mar-13 13:53:21

I thought Homebase and Sainsbury's homewear was all the same?confused

spottyparrot Mon 25-Mar-13 13:53:22

I have 2 le crusset pots with the rest of my kitchen stuff having come from tesco/sainsburys. So if you do it like that and choose carefully then I'd say worth the money. Not worth the money to kit the entire kitchen out with le crusset although if you have loads of money, I don't see why not!

Ponders Mon 25-Mar-13 13:58:38

I've got a Le Creuset pot lasagne dish & yes, the glaze does crack; but I have 2 others as well & they're just the same. They don't leak or anything.

I also have a round casserole, which is 30 years old, & an oval one which is a bit younger - it's bigger (chicken sized, limitedperiodonly wink) & tends to get a lot more use so the inside is quite stained now. They are very heavy. I bet the cheaper ones work just as well & might be slightly lighter

Dawsons (same shop as justlinen) sell it & often have offers. Prices are similar to amazon & there's an extra 15% off until midnight today smile

Laquila Mon 25-Mar-13 14:08:54

I have a small Le Creuset and two bigger Chasseur cast-iron casseroles with lids, and I don't notice any difference between the two brands (except that the latter were cheaper!). The medium to large size ones are extremely useful/versatile.

I've also got a Le Creuset griddle pan, which I like but don't use that often, although I've noticed that the bottom of this seems to have burnt quicker than the casserole ones.

I wouldn't bother with their earthenware stuff - I think you can get cheaper, just as good quality earthenware in Sainsburys and JL, but I do find the cast iron casseroles very useful.

That said, the plastic handle/top on the lid of one of them did explode once, after a while in the Rayburn, but I don't know if that's a reflection on the stupid Rayburn rather than the dish itself...

Limitedperiodonly and Ponders - I was cooking at a friend's house with her oval one this weekend, and really liked the shape - it was easier to fit other stuff on the hob around it.

Areyoumadorisitme Mon 25-Mar-13 14:10:26

I love my Le creuset pan set and also have lots of ovenware. I never took to the frying pans though and have them away.

The pans have lasted 15yrs so far although handles don't look great due to dishwasher which is a no-no but I have always done. Otherwise I think they would be good as new.

I replaced some of the ovenware last year after 14yrs as it had cracked glazing and two items had cracked but they were used regularly for 14yrs so I don't think that is bad.

I can't remember the website but it is possible to get up to about 40% off rrp with a bit of searching online.

Areyoumadorisitme Mon 25-Mar-13 14:11:49

Oh, also have a massive cast iron casserole with lid. Still good as new after 15 years smile.

Startail Mon 25-Mar-13 14:13:09

Too heavy, can't dish wash it, stuff burns and sticks, wy cheap supermarket frying pan is way better.

It's not been down of the cupboard in years.

Ponders Mon 25-Mar-13 14:16:54

Mine go in the dishwasher? confused

agree they are a bit burny on the hob, but great in the oven

LadyIsabellaWrotham Belgium Mon 25-Mar-13 14:17:39

I dishwasher my Le Creusets - they seem fine.

limitedperiodonly Mon 25-Mar-13 14:23:44

My friend wrecked the wooden handles of her saucepans in the dishwasher. My dishwasher's called DH so I don't have that problem. The outside of the one that gets used the most is black so I'm going to have words with my dishwasher.

Where do you get Chasseur? I haven't got a car but I've got Debenhams, John Lewis and that sort of thing near me.

Ponders Mon 25-Mar-13 14:32:12
Tigglette Mon 25-Mar-13 15:32:52

I have an oval casserole and a cast iron lasagne/roasting dish both by Le Creuset, I've also got a generic cast iron casserole I bought from a supermarket in France for a third of the price. All three are fantastic and in constant use - I'd not bother with the saucepans ought, too heavy for me to lift with one hand.

OlyRoller Netherlands Mon 25-Mar-13 16:07:34

I would say just get the enameled cast iron casseroles and the grill pans. They're tops. As are the enameled cast iron bakeware. The saucepans not so much.

I would avoid the stainless steel and the non-stick stuff.

I'd get a few key pieces - an oval and a round casserole - maybe a grill. But I wouldn't replace all my cookware with Creuset.

And I would never buy it at full-price.

Timeforabiscuit Mon 25-Mar-13 16:16:28

I lugged a full set of Le Creuset by hand from France over the cross channel ferry for my mum at the tender age of 16, so if your looking for a bargain it's much cheaper in the huge (back then!) French Supermarkets.

I inherited them 10 years ago and the one I use daily the enamel is becoming very thin on the bottom - but they have been fantastic, the frying pan is a bit too heavy to work with but the enameled cast iron casserole are superb.

I am tempted to try the Homebase one though ....

Ponders Mon 25-Mar-13 17:16:04

My huge oval one came from Carrefour, biscuit!

it was c 25 years ago - this was pre € & it was dirt cheap then, about £25. I've looked on every trip since but with the relatively weak £ they are generally pretty expensive now (sob)

PigletJohn Mon 25-Mar-13 17:51:10

don't bother with the pottery ones, no point

the iron, I agree they are very heavy. DP refuses to use them. I couldn't when I injured my arm. The smaller ones are good for lasagne and other individual dishes.

You are of course paying for the name. The technology to make cast iron, and enamel it, has been around for over a hundred years, and the name over the factory gate makes no diffence to the quality.

I'm fed up with the orange but like the black.

limitedperiodonly Mon 25-Mar-13 19:03:27

Bloody hell. I've just looked at that Chasseur link. The prices!!!!

I can't remember how much I paid for my Le Creusets - mostly poison bottle blue, one racing green and a trendy grey that I guess was left over.

Either they were good prices or I was a very keen young wife with money to burn grin.

But I'd still definitely recommend anything with two handles. The cost per use over 20 years has been worth the scary outlay and they'll outlive me. That's why I'm balking at buying something new. I don't think I have enough time left on earth to justify it.

Frying pans and saucepans are too heavy for me but I don't usually move the griddle pan from the hob. I use it every day for toast - I just hoover the burnt crumbs. I grilled some steak on Saturday which was lovely. Though I Brilloed it, it definitely added something to Sunday breakfast's toast.

You can probably get away with one oval casserole. I've got two round ones and use the 22cm one the most. I use the 26cm shallow pan with lid all the time.

<<My name is limitedperiodonly and I am a frugal addict of expensive cooking utensils>>

Follyfoot Mon 25-Mar-13 19:07:39

Lost all my Le Creuset in a divorce sad but they were excellent. Now have a couple of Chasseur casseroles, they are lovely and just as good.

limitedperiodonly Mon 25-Mar-13 19:22:51

follyfoot Divorce? Oh no. They make very good blunt instruments wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now