Can you freeze mash?

(9 Posts)
PigletJohn Sun 17-Mar-13 10:15:34

it needs to drier than if you were serving it straight away. I find setting the pan, after draining, until it's finished steaming, and not adding milk, will help, with the potatoes still a bit hard. Otherwise moisture will separate out when it thaws.

some varieties of potato are worse for shedding water.

adagio Sun 17-Mar-13 07:20:10

I freeze it in 'balls' (use a scoop and freeze on a board/baking sheet) then transfer balls to a freezy bag once solid; then either reheat in the oven like you would with say frozen aunt bessy bubble and squeak etc, which gives it a bit of a 'crust' or alternatively microwave and rem ash with a fork. I tend to do potato and swede or onion or something like that to liven it up a bit.

This way you can do as many 'balls' as you like depending on hunger level/number being fed

BubblegumPie Sat 16-Mar-13 20:06:40

Thanks smile

Jbck Sat 16-Mar-13 20:04:29

I find it works best if you re-mash it with more milk or butter once heated. I do it in the microwave and would worry the bottom might burn in a pot.

TrinityRhino Sat 16-Mar-13 20:03:33

yes you can, no problem

heating it without a microwave, add a tiny bit of milk to the pan and stir whilst heating

ilovepowerhoop Sat 16-Mar-13 20:02:09

you can buy frozen mash so it is perfectly ok to freeze it on its own

ilovepowerhoop Sat 16-Mar-13 20:01:36

yes you can freeze. I use a microwave to reheat but maybe you could reheat in a pot on the hob too.

djelibeybi Sat 16-Mar-13 20:01:00

Never tried freezing mash on its own, but it freezes fine as part of a shepherd's pie.

BubblegumPie Sat 16-Mar-13 19:59:11

Recently single and not used to cooking for one.

If I make, say four servings of mash, can I eat one and freeze the rest to eat another day?

And could I heat it up without a microwave?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now