How to remove furniture dents from carpet?

(16 Posts)
lolalotta Fri 15-Mar-13 21:23:25

That's it really, I don't think it's wool so I don't think the ice cube trick will work? Anyone any ideas? Thank you!

TeamEdward Fri 15-Mar-13 21:25:48

oh, I saw your thread title and was about to post "Ice cube in the indentation" grin

MTSgroupie Fri 15-Mar-13 21:28:04

Ice cubes have always worked for me so I'm a bit confused at your comment.

Snowgirl1 Fri 15-Mar-13 21:35:30

I've heard a damp cloth and a warm iron will do the trick, but I've never tried it and, if it's a man-made fibre, be careful not to melt the carpet if you decide to give it a try.

hugoagogo Fri 15-Mar-13 21:41:07

Steam cleaner is supposed to work too.

piprabbit Fri 15-Mar-13 21:43:07

Steam cleaner or a good woosh of steam from your iron (but don't let the iron actually touch the carpet - maybe do it through damp tea towel).

Ice cube actually works on the underlay rather than the pile so should still work

lolalotta Sat 16-Mar-13 06:31:37

Well, I've not actually tried anything yet as we are still waiting to exchange contracts (eeeeeek!) but hopefully only about a week to go! I thought I read that ice cubes only worked on wool...bit I will have a go and report back! grin

What is this ice cube trick you talk of?
Our spare room carpet is 50:50 I think so might not work but I'll give anything a try!

lolalotta Sat 16-Mar-13 08:16:34

You might need to google the specifics, I can't quite remember...but it's something to do with leaving an an ice cube in the dent to melt and it re-hydrates the carpet fibres...it was a long time ago I read about it!

I've tried ice cubes - it helps but doesn't fix it. Now if I get to test the karcher steam cleaner I'll let you know if steam works smile

Put ice cube/s on the indentation, allow to melt, use fine knitting needle or similar to lift up the fibres

PigletJohn Sat 16-Mar-13 11:26:44

running a hoover over it also helps.

Snowgirl1 Sat 16-Mar-13 14:22:51

You're doing this for the new buyers of your house? Leave it to them! They might decide to stick a piece of furniture in exactly the same place so it won't matter.

lolalotta Sat 16-Mar-13 14:49:03

No, it's going to be our new home! grin

Earlybird Sat 16-Mar-13 14:55:02

I've always been told to use an icecube, and then gently 'rake' the fibres back up using the tines of a fork. No idea if it works though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now