What's causing these streaks/stains on our crockery?

(10 Posts)
NorbertDentressangle Fri 15-Mar-13 17:17:14

Things have started coming out of the dishwasher with stains and streaks all over them. Its really noticeable as all our plates, bowls etc are white.

The plates , which are obviously standing vertically during the wash have stains that look as if something has trickled or run across them. Mugs on the top shelf have the stains all over.

The only thing I can liken it to is when a white mug discolours inside if its used for lots of strong tea and then not washed properly - its that sort of colour IYSWIM.

So how do I get the stains out? Bleach them in the sink?
Whats causing it and how can I avoid it happening again?

Furball Fri 15-Mar-13 17:26:58

Well Hello! smile

I would bleach all offending items.

Take the swirly arms off and wash in hot soapy water and get all the gunk out of the holes

Clean the filters and rubber seals

then run the machine on hot, empty, with 1/2 cup of bleach and 1/2 cup of dishwasher salt

and then cross your fingers

Furball Fri 15-Mar-13 17:27:44

have you seen this thread?

NorbertDentressangle Fri 15-Mar-13 19:06:07

Hiya furball!

Wow! There are some blasts from the past on that thread. Not read any of it but just saw a few of the names. Is it worth reading (if you have a spare week!)?

Re: dishwasher - can it seriously be due to gunk and stuff in it? Would that stain things?

Furball Fri 15-Mar-13 19:09:16

Well if the mucky water is dripping and then being dried on?

NorbertDentressangle Fri 15-Mar-13 19:10:42

Are you questioning my slatternly housekeeping skills? shock

Furball Fri 15-Mar-13 19:19:28

As long as you don't question how I know how to solve your problem wink

NorbertDentressangle Fri 15-Mar-13 19:30:00

We'll compare notes on our slattern-esque qualities next Friday smile

JulesJules Fri 15-Mar-13 19:34:52

I would try bleach to get the plates clean and run a dishwasher cleaner through your machine on a hot wash.

Or get new, tea coloured plates.

Furball Fri 15-Mar-13 19:35:20

Nice little thread this - just like the old days - lol

Can't believe there's only me and you in the whole of the world MN thats suffered the same

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now