Kitchen Bin Dilemma

(14 Posts)
ButteryJam Thu 14-Mar-13 18:25:53

Hi,

I need to get a new bin for my kitchen. I would like to get a cream one.

Now what do I do with the recycling? Do I have to get two bins? What do the rest of you do? I'm not keen on a stainless steel bin because I had one before and it ended up with streak marks and was a nightmare to keep cleaning!

So what do you advise I do? Buy two bins?

Thanks for your help in advance! smile

Rockchick1984 Thu 14-Mar-13 22:39:52

Where I live the items for recycling have to be washed out before putting in the recycle bin so I keep a washing up bowl in the cupboard under the sink. Everything goes in there, then rinsed out and put outside before bed smile

PigletJohn Thu 14-Mar-13 22:51:51

2 bins

If you need to rinse tins and bottles, slosh them around in the sink after you have done the washing up. The need to be unwelcoming to rats, but not hygenically clean.

MaureenMLove Thu 14-Mar-13 22:56:57

I put the recycling straight in the boxes outside and use the kitchen bin for just non-recycling.

Well, tbh, that's what is supposed to happen. In reality I sling the clean recycling from the kitchen to the front door, in the hope that the next person out the door takes it out. One day, I'll learn that my family simply walk round it! grin

MrsSham Thu 14-Mar-13 23:08:18

I hate kitchen bins, all rubbish goes straight out.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 14-Mar-13 23:13:24

I have one of those plastic garden trugs in a garish vibrant colour. When it's full, the stuff goes into the council's recycling box outside.

ButteryJam Thu 14-Mar-13 23:43:12

Thanks!

I hate kitchen bins too but will have to get something as can't go to the bin everytime to chuck rubbish ...

SqueakyCleanNameChange Thu 14-Mar-13 23:56:06

I have a pull out bin in a cupboard for the recycling. Brilliant solution if you have the space. When the bag is full it gets slung out the door (food containers go through the dishwasher before recycling to ward off foxes).

AdoraBell Fri 15-Mar-13 01:10:13

Our recycling isn't collected, overseas, so I have 1 kitchen bin for actual rubbish and my recycling gets pilled up in the futility room until I drive into own. In your case I would do 2 bins, or 1 bin and a box of some sort, something visually different so that things don't get put in the wrong one.

wendybird77 Sat 16-Mar-13 17:02:53

We have a pull out in a cupboard with 4 bins for rubbish and recycling. We have to separate the recycling in my area. In my old house we just used two bins.

Edlyu Sat 16-Mar-13 17:10:11

I have had many, many kitchen bins from little plastic swing bins to the huge touch top stainless steel efforts .

I now have a carrier bag bin that fits inside a cupboard .This is the one that suits our family needs best and I much prefer it. The bag gets filled quite quickly which means it gets put outside in the proper bin before it starts to smell.

I just take recycling out to the recycling box as and when.

We have a small brabantia bin, think its 12 litres for normal rubbish. Also have a jute bag for recycling.
DH takes them both out pretty much daily.

I have a bin with 2 sections and use one side for rubbish and the other for recycling

I have a thing with wire baskets for the recycling - it's an IKEA Antonius thingy with wheels, and I use a couple of the baskets for recycling and the other one for dusters etc. It lets the rinsed stuff dry off well, and you can simply carry a basket out to the recycling bin when it is full (and take the other ne to the dump as they don' take glass or batteries from the kerb here)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now