Anyone have experience of electrics repeatedly fusing?

(9 Posts)
Parisbanana Thu 14-Mar-13 17:57:10

Over the past few days, our electrics have fused, up to 4 times a day (generally in the night, not in the day)
It isn't the main lights, it's something plugged into a socket that is causing it as all the plugged in things go off. Weird that it is in the night, when we have no TV, hair dryer, kettle, on.
I've got an electrician coming to look tomorrow but wondered if anyone has had this and what caused it?

PigletJohn Thu 14-Mar-13 18:18:04

I bet it isn't really a fuse.

It's more likely an RCD (which has a T or Test button on it)

in which case it's probably an earth fault in a watery appliance, like a kettle, washer or outside light; or rodents gnawing cables.

KindleMum Thu 14-Mar-13 18:24:17

In an employer-provided house we lived in, it turned out that rats had chewed through all the cables in the roof space. The electrician took one look, went ballistic, had us all moved out within 24 hours and the house had to be rewired. Hoping you don't have that!
We'd also been going through a lot of lightbulbs - afterwards, we realised that had been a sign!

Parisbanana Thu 14-Mar-13 18:46:28

PigletJohn yes it is that switch. I hope it's a watery problem not rodents KindleMum that sounds hideous. We have a cat which I hope keeps them away...
Ah well, we'll see tomorrow.

ByTheWay1 Thu 14-Mar-13 18:51:43

We had this - and found it was just a wire had become free in the back of a socket and was sometimes shorting just one or 2 of the little thin strands of wire that twist up to make a whole one - easily fixed by a guy with the right equipment to find it.

Moominsarehippos Thu 14-Mar-13 18:52:14

Power surges? Not sure if that still happens but our old house in the 70s and 80s used to blow fuses all the time.

Parisbanana Thu 14-Mar-13 18:59:51

It's really odd, I think, that it happens mainly at night. Once or twice in the evening, but otherwise in the night. Never in the morning when we suddenly increase our power usage.
Bytheway1 I hope that's it!

PigletJohn Thu 14-Mar-13 22:37:05

happening in the night is typical of rodents, but can also be water overflowing from something like a WC cistern, or a washer with a faulty valve, where it slowly overfills in a matter of hours when you are not using it. Or condensation in an appliance in a cold place, such as a garage or conservatory.

The first step is usually to unplug (not just switch off) everything and see if the problem stops. Then plug in half of them and see if it comes back.

FEEdec Thu 14-Mar-13 22:48:06

We have it happen regularly. To our horror it appears to be caused primarily by the cat pissing into the plug sockets in the kitchen!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now