Restoring/cleaning chandelier - Help!

(3 Posts)

I once read hang it up and then spray it with water spray and let the dust drip off.

PigletJohn Thu 14-Mar-13 13:15:07

the crystals, soft sponge, water with WUL, polish off with an old vest. You may find you can unstring them from the metalwork. If they have a tobacco smoke film <boak> use meths then repeat the WUL and vest.

to treat the rust, use Jenolite rust remover from a motor accessory store. No other rust treatment, must be Jenolite liquid which is an acid. Apply with a small paintbrush, just on the rust. Gloves, goggles, follow instructions etc. The brass plating will be gone though. Keep a bowl of water handy to wash off any drips or splashes immediately.

Coconutfeet Thu 14-Mar-13 12:12:28

We have a lovely delicate chandelier that's been packed away in what's turned out to be a damp cupboard. blush Some of the metal is now slightly rusty. Any suggestions on the best way to remove this?

I also need to clean all the crystals. One site I looked at suggested a bleach solution. Is this best or can you recommend anything else?
Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now