The D'oh!moment: Completely obvious homemaking tips that have, in fact, proved revelatory

(522 Posts)
ChicHeroine Tue 12-Mar-13 21:34:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hi Fussy, my family think I'm crazy for doing it that way. I get this [ look a lot.
I thought I hadn't made any sense...maybe I didn't unless you do it too?

that should have been a confused look

I always put my duvet cover on that way too good

I'm so showing this to people next time they stand by looking puzzled while they WATCH me change a king size on my own!

kelda Wed 13-Mar-13 16:23:41

Toothbrushes in the bathroom upstairs and another set downstairs for brushing after breakfast.

ChicHeroine Wed 13-Mar-13 16:48:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Me too with the duvet covers. I also get the confused look, but it's probably not helped by the fact that I usually start making ghosty noises and chase DD about. grin

My DSIL told me that she folds clothes quickly before she tumble dries them so they need less or no ironing. I now do this with our bedding and it works! It doesn't get rid of all the creases, but there's a hell of a lot less. Not that I ironed it in the first place, but it sure looks nicer now.

I'm going to go try notcitrus' tip about the toilet limescale.

twentythirteen Wed 13-Mar-13 17:05:50

I love the pillow case idea. I (just realised this is hard to explain) I fold the duvet partically, fold the sheet and pillow cases layering on top of the duvet, then fold the duvet over that last turn. Evything's neatly folded and I have a whole set. I don't have kids. I do this so that on those rare occassions that OH changes the bedding he doesn't get weird combinations out.

twentythirteen Wed 13-Mar-13 17:09:04

Clean out the fridge every time you do a big shop and the fridge is at its emptiest. Keeps it from getting gross.

Right, well I went upstairs to try the limescale trick, hopefully that's going well. Got the laundry out the tumble drier, and found the remains of the yellow crayon that DD had lost. <sigh> Any tips for cleaning baked on crayon out of a tumble drier? And out of clothes?

choccyp1g Wed 13-Mar-13 20:51:36

Neverquitesure no, I always wash any thing with a bit of white on all on its own the first time, and if the white part survives, after that I wash them with "mixed brights".
My white wash is only allowed pure whites and bright turquoisey blues.

choccyp1g Wed 13-Mar-13 20:58:42

bran I can't cope with the "all sox the same colour" system, as if the repatriated ones have not been through the same number of washes, they don't quite look the same and anyway, keeping them in true pairs means the toes tend to wear out on both at the same time.

However, I do still have a drawer of odd socks, due to DS losing singles whenever he does PE or does a sleepover. Occasionally I manage to forcea second marriage among them.

duracellbatterybunny Wed 13-Mar-13 21:09:04

Great ideas - here's mine! Get everyone you iron for a shallow basket/tray etc and put their ironing in it. No more sorting ironing out and get them to collect and return their baskets (if they're old enough) No basket, no ironing.

choccyp1g Wed 13-Mar-13 21:11:43

duracellbatterybunnyWed 13-Mar-13 21:09:04

Great ideas - here's mine! Get everyone you iron for a shallow basket/tray etc and put their ironing in it. No more sorting ironing out and get them to collect and return their baskets (if they're old enough) No basket, no ironing.
^
|
|
This, but delete all except the last two words.

MousyMouse Wed 13-Mar-13 21:26:54

don't iron.
gently pull into shape fresh out of the washer and hang to dry. or fold directly from the dryer.
and don't buy clothes that would look horrible without ironing.

MmeLindor Wed 13-Mar-13 21:36:51
Redorwhitejusthaveboth Wed 13-Mar-13 21:56:49

theres an odd brush thing you can buy for the washing up - you put washing up liquid in the handle and it has a scrubby brush on the end....just turn tap on and squoosh brush thing around on pots - voila clean in no time with no soaking!

loose the matching socks thing - embrace the wild and go for odd every time.

baby wipes in every room for a quick wipe down of every surface

best one <published in bella or take a break or woman or something and paid £20 for privelege> tea is picnic tea outside on a rug with paper plates whenever temp allows - no cleaning table or floor or plates (sorry to the trees for paper plate useage)

Nope MmeLindor. I have pegs. DH's are green, DD's blue, mine red. All socks pegged in pairs in the drawers, when you take socks off, peg goes back on, washed dried and put away with peg still on.

Pegs can take a remarkable bashing in the washer/dryer, I think we lose about three or four a month through breakages.

vintagemummy Wed 13-Mar-13 22:04:34

Totally disagree with the inside put duvet thing. having worked in hotels i personally think its a slower way of putting covers on.
If your cooking a big meal its a great idea to have a pot (tall tuperware) with boiling water and washing up liquid and way cloth in.
if you use a knife to chop meat then want to chop veg you can reuse the same one by cleaning it first. saves filling the dishwasher with every Sunday roast. plus if you spill anything you can clean quickly .
works for testing cakes etc or any utensils.
in general clean as you go you'll inevitably save time.wink wink wink

Gomez Wed 13-Mar-13 22:06:00

Really. You guys need to get out more. smile

MousyMouse Wed 13-Mar-13 22:13:22

gomez
we do wink

colditz Wed 13-Mar-13 22:26:58

If you suffer clinical depression and the attendant lack of motivation for housework, then it can very quickly become overwhelming.

Poundland sell paper plates, as do a lot of corner shops. Never feel bad about using these.

Nine year olds who get paid for household tasks do three times more than none paid nine year olds.

imip Wed 13-Mar-13 22:46:17

Rather than chopping vegetables while dcs maul each other in the evening, I use the magimix to chop all the veg. All done in a few mins and then into the dishwasher. Added benefit is that dcs do now realise the following vegetables are added to most meals: onions (usually a double lot - ha, ha dd1), pepper and courgette.

imip Wed 13-Mar-13 22:46:47

Do NOT realise...

ThisIsMummyPig Wed 13-Mar-13 23:19:32

Not strictly housework related, but I have a shelf of unwanted presents, and a stash of spare cards, especially of the get well soon, good luck type that tend to creep up on you un-noticed. That way I generally have something suitable for birthdays and raffles without having to rush out and get something last minute.

With birthday cards I actually tend to buy a couple of months worth at once, so they are for specific people. If I can be arsed I write and address them as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now