The D'oh!moment: Completely obvious homemaking tips that have, in fact, proved revelatory

(522 Posts)
ChicHeroine Tue 12-Mar-13 21:34:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

youfhearted Wed 13-Mar-13 10:04:01

ah but re cutlery, in dishwasher, we had to do that in old people's home, and people wondered why they didnt clean properly, the instructions are for random placement of cutlery, otherwise all the knives get stuck togther, as do spoons .

Buy a really good DustBuster. We have a Dyson long armed thingamajig and it's so good that we only have to get the proper Hoover out about once a fortnight. It's so much quicker, easier, lighter and less faffy-no wires tripping you up, no lugging it upstairs etc.

Shamelessly marking place. I can't think of anything right now, but will certainly have a think

BornToFolk Wed 13-Mar-13 10:41:05

I don't get the pillowcase thing. In my airing cupboard, I have a stack of pillowcases, a stack of duvet covers and a stack of fitted bottom sheets. So, when changing a bed, I go the cupboard and grab pillowcases, duvet cover and sheet. It's not a task that takes forever! Mind you, I only have two beds to change so I suppose it might be worth it if you had more? I still don't really get it though. confused

I love that bedding and pillowcase idea, I only have a small airing cupboard so that will be really helpful, thanks.
I can't think of any tips. sad

Oh, I wash my quilt covers inside out so they're easier to put on. I put my hands through the flap, grab the far corners of the cover like a puppet, then grab the corners of the quilt, big heave and the cover goes over the quilt. just needs a shake to adjust and its done. its the easiest way I've found of doing a king size duvet.

Ok, I never post on on these topics so I might not be allowed but heres a few of mine.

When you was socks, hang them by the toe on the line in order ie pairs next to each other. When they are dry turn the tops together then unpeg and drop into your basket, Sock can then go straight into the draws in pairs save me a lot of time as DP goes through two pairs of socks a day!

keep your cleaning products sorted by room. In a bucket tidy whatever, then we you want to clean the bath room you grab that bucket and everything is there that you need.

In rooms with tiles (Im not in the UK and the house is all tiles) keep a dust pan and brush in each room

I have a brush head similar to this one best thing ever for cleaning rugs!

If you have to pack up winter clothes then put a tumble drier sheet in with them and then vac seal them ( a good strong bin bag bunched up round a hover and then tied is a good as a vac bag) when you get them out again they will be clean and sweet smelling.

Bicarb is a great cat litter deodrant

If you clean to tops of your cuboards when finished add newpaper folded to the right size next time all you need to to take the newspaper off and throw it away.

If a batch cook, I use those foil trays and mark the tops with the content and then you can just take straight from the freezer and cook, eat and bin!

If I think of any more can I post again?

oh I have another one.

I do a big shop once a month (live in the middle of know where) I mostly buy the same every month but some items may be needed more etc. so I have a shopping listed with everything listed on it and printed out each month on the fridge every time I use something up I mark it down on the list so all i need to do is grab the list and go to the shop.

Also when we go away each time I find something else I needed, ie duck tap, bin bags for the car, plug converters, tomtom etc. So when I get back I pack the things I needed back into the suit cases. if I have to go away in a hurry no more searching for the suitcase scales etc.

I also keep an emergency box in the car with things like a change of clothes for each of us, a water proof coat, a small umbrella, flash light, first aid kit, blow up pillow, blanket, bottle of water and some food, it only takes up a small box and I know if anything happens like we get stuck in a traffic jam or dd is sick etc I can do something about it.

We get a lot of power cuts so every room has a small wind up torch (no chance of the batteries going flat) and I have storm laterns or big yanke candles everywhere and a box of matches with the laters / candles so I can light the house without having to find the matches!

In my handbag and in the car I have a small stash of tablets / medicines just in case so anti acids, paracetomol, capol, anti imflamatories, diagorrea tablets etc.

Sello tape or ones of those rolling clothes brushes which is stickie picks up broken glass even from clothes.

choccyp1g Wed 13-Mar-13 11:04:05

Socks going IN to the wash bag should be linked loosely at the open end in pairs.

Then wash them in lingerie bags, several pairs to a bag, but not any the same colour in the same bag. Hang in pairs onto the line (or radiators), then when dry they have to be paired into "bobbles" not hanging loosely.

I only learnt to pair socks "in bobbles" when I was 32 from a long-ago boyfriend.

notcitrus Wed 13-Mar-13 11:04:09

MrNC insists time saved separating cutlery when putting away is negated by extra time putting them in. I disagree. Each compartment has about 6 items in so spoons/forks stacking/tangling not an issue in our domestic dishwasher.

If sausages are grilled/cooked over a clean roasting dish, can then use the fat.to roast potatoes or scrape up to fry eggs or vegetables, adding extra flavour to an otherwise vegetarian meal.

Tip 1: never leave a room empty handed. As you head to, say the loo for example, scan the rooms you pass through for items you can scoop up and rehome as you go. This is especially helpful if you have young children who pick up a book, wander into the next room and abandon it in favour if the next shiny object.

Tip 2: any item of clothing with white on it (excluding polyester trims) should be washed with the white wash, since the colours are obviously colour-fast and washing it with the darks will discolour the white bits. Probably bloody obvious to everyone else, but I didn't realise until I met my husband and he taught me!

Tip 3: as soon as your children are old enough to reach your sinks remove all your plugs and leave them somewhere that only an adult can reach. You think the overflow will work, but not if it's been stuffed with a flannel first...

choccyp1g Wed 13-Mar-13 11:33:55

NeverquiteSure I'd never trust your point 2 for the first wash of a new item.

erowid Wed 13-Mar-13 12:01:33

If you clean to tops of your cuboards when finished add newpaper folded to the right size next time all you need to to take the newspaper off and throw it away.

That, my dear, is a brilliant idea!

TheCatInTheHairnet Wed 13-Mar-13 12:13:34

I am the opposite of Bigredbox when it comes to laundry. Each member of the family has their own clean washing basket so the clothes are folded straight out of the dryer and put in the respective baskets. Then it's the responsibility of the basket owner to get the basket full of clothes and into their closet. And if they don't quite get round to it, they know where their clean clothes are without messing up everyone else's.

BornToFolk Wed 13-Mar-13 12:17:56

shock You're supposed to clean the tops of your cupboards? Does anyone ever see them?

Anyway, I thought of a useful tip! Re-pack kit bags (for swimming, football etc) after you've washed the kit, rather than putting it all away in drawers. Ready to go for next time!

bran Wed 13-Mar-13 12:20:28

choccy would you put this top in with the coloured/dark wash then? Because I used to and they always ended up with greyish looking collars. Probably didn't help that I used to wear lots of brightly coloured cardigans for work bath then though.

ChicHeroine Wed 13-Mar-13 13:54:42

ChicHeroine Wed 13-Mar-13 13:59:46

MrsJamin Wed 13-Mar-13 14:24:48

... Talking of kitchen roll, put some at the bottom of your fridge salad drawer which will absorb additional water the vegetables give off. Change when you buy new veg.

ChicHeroine Wed 13-Mar-13 14:40:22

ChicHeroine Wed 13-Mar-13 14:41:16

ChicHeroine Wed 13-Mar-13 14:41:39

orderinformation Wed 13-Mar-13 14:52:25

Marking place

fussychica Wed 13-Mar-13 15:33:42

goodjambadjar - at last someone who puts the duvet cover on the way I do - there was a thread the other day where I tried to explain what I do - you've done it sooo much better!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now