Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

The D'oh!moment: Completely obvious homemaking tips that have, in fact, proved revelatory

(522 Posts)
ChicHeroine Tue 12-Mar-13 21:34:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OrbisNonSufficit Sat 16-Mar-13 13:19:53

I had an ah ha moment when I realised that spills on things (front of kitchen cabinets etc) are easier to remove when they happen rather than postponing it until I've finished cooking or whatever. Yes this is obvious, but I'm really not very domestic...

I was also delighted when I found out about the pillowcase thing grin - pinterest is brilliant for that kind of home organisation idea.

Trills Sat 16-Mar-13 13:30:33

Buy a frost-free freezer. If you are planning on buying a freezer they are not a lot more but they really do not need to be defrosted. I've had my current one since the beginning of 2011 (moved into a rented house with just a fridge with freezer "compartment" and it is not icy in the slightest.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 16-Mar-13 13:42:11

OrbisNonSufficit

pinterest is brilliant for that kind of home organisation idea.

Pinterest is also good for spending a whole day pinning wholesome recipes and amazing ways you will be able to colour-code your children's belongings to make them both stylish and inviting and you turn round and realise the toys are still a blardy mess and you've only got beans on toast for supper.
bitter voice of experience
blush

OrbisNonSufficit Sat 16-Mar-13 14:10:34

Olivia Ah yes, but in my head my house does actually look like my pinterest boards grin

The key is to not look at your actual house too hard... (or repeat 'work in progress' when you are forced to look at it!)

DoIgetastickerforthat Sat 16-Mar-13 15:35:57

When your changing the beds, take one of the dirty pillowcases, turn inside out and use it to have a quick dust round to freshen the place up.

StoicButStressed Sat 16-Mar-13 15:47:21

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ)

No. I see your image and I raise it with THIS grin

PS here to re-post what had 'posted' last night only for bastard evil BT bloody NON-'Total' Broadband to go down JUST as hit 'post message it to sadly disappear in an uber unfortunately timed net connection fail <grrrr..>

But instead of what came on to post, am now thinking of the hot men I totally objectify in the way some men do to women and which I loathe! cute views on offer.

I blame you Oliviawink

Even more confused stoic!

Ooo MrsPennyapple I may actually have a good tip for your freezer!
DH borrowed a steam cleaner. Unpacked the freezer contents into a cool box, steam cleaned it and had it back running and cold before anything could defrost.

Oh and it wasn't even an all purpose cleaner, it was one of those wallpaper strippers.

StoicButStressed Sat 16-Mar-13 16:32:55

'Stoic The Fool's' (belated) explanation.

Is a long explanation or a short one. Wrote the long one last night only for bastard net to go down. So here's the inbetween short/long onesmile.

And yes, you may all laugh at me like donkies who have just enjoyed a spliff or two.... as is SO verreeee beyond dumb even I'm now laughing at me (which is, btw, a DISTINCT improvement on how thick/embarrassed/mortified felt yesterdaywink )

Mid short/long version:

1: I had to ask for my posts to be removed as they broke copyrightblush.

2: I had posted them with a 'very sleep-deprived but just wanting to share the lurrvee - i.e. the bloody usefulness of them when have DCs, &/or may be skint etc - hence posting SOLELY the ones I figured weren't that well-known/others prob wouldn't post etc/didn't post any of the other ones know, as knew someone else would likely post/share those etc) with lovely MN'ers who have helped me sooooo much (one or two tw*ts aside...) over past few weeks' and in good faith AND genuinely just in a "oooh, lovely! Can help lovely MN'ers" kinda way.

3. Did all above with a VERY non-'ON' brain.

4: When realised was pointed out to me by a.n.other party involved had broken copyright, obv had no option but to ask for them to be removed ASAP as breaking copyright is a VERY.BAD.THING.TO.DO.

THAT's why had to get them removed. And reason I felt so so SOOO verrreee thick/mortified/dumb as shit etc. once realised needed to get them deleted, is even more blushblushblush...

<whispers: was my own and de facto future publisher's copyright had broken>

OrbisNonSufficit Sat 16-Mar-13 17:40:15

Ooh I remembered another one - the moment I discovered there was a way to neatly fold fitted sheets by putting their corners into each other, rather than just kind of crumpling the whole thing into a semi-flat ball.

And when I found a way to get the (super-king so unwieldy) duvet into the cover by turning the cover inside out, getting hands inside in both corners, grabbing the duvet and then turning the cover right way out again around the duvet. SO much easier than attempting to stuff the duvet in with the cover right way out.

(I've realised mine mostly relate to bedding, what does this say about me)

BalloonSlayer Sat 16-Mar-13 17:41:23

I once emptied the contents of my very small freezer into the back of my car as it was very cold weather, while the fridge/freezer defrosted.

This would have been a great idea if I had not then gormlessly driven my car into the back of another one while in town. My car was undriveable and so I had to get a taxi home, weeping, with my shopping plus several unwieldy bags of frozen sundries. grin

TeaOneSugar Sat 16-Mar-13 17:53:51

A microfibre cloth and a water spray will clean most things.

Edlyu Sat 16-Mar-13 18:37:52

Keep the contents of a defrosting freezer in freezer bags until the job is done. Newspaper lined(several layers) carrier bags will do in an emergency or to transport frozen food .

In an emergency or hurry you can get the creases out of most clothes by using a hairdryer while the clothes are being worn. Wont manage linen I suspect ( not tried it) but most fabrics are vastly improved in no time .

If you buy wrapping paper and occasion cards in advance keep them in a lose leaf binder with a separate pocket for each paper or card type. Keeps everything flat , usable and easily accessible.

Rhienne Sat 16-Mar-13 20:21:10

Not sure if this is quite the same sort of thing, but I searched for haircutting scissors for me to cut Ds's hair, that were sharp to cut hair but didn't have sharp points. Couldn't find anything.

Then wandering in a little hardware store in a small town - the type thas has everything - happened down the pet aisle and found just what I'd been looking for. So now cut DS's hair with good sharp scissors with blunt ends - designed to cut dogs' hair. blush. It works for me!

vole3 Sun 17-Mar-13 07:17:07

I only defrost my freezer in the winter and preferably when stuck at home due to snow. Decant contents into my washing baskets, leave outside in the snow whilst blasting freezer with hair dryer to get job done in quick time.

Thumbwitch Sun 17-Mar-13 07:24:55

Oh Stoic!! <<Shakes head>>
Well I'm rather glad that it was a © issue rather than a safety/outing issue. But it seems like you might need to remember to switch brain on before posting from now on, m'k? wink

ATouchOfStuffing Sun 17-Mar-13 12:31:19

Orbis (love your name btw - my DD's initials are ORB and I plan to make her soethis with your name on :D ) However - I am still struggling with folding fitted sheets! Saw the pics/step by step guide but the 3rd one confuses me blush...which order do you do them in?

Anyway, I have spent the morning sticking cotton wool balls onto loo rolls and cutting out ears to make rabbits and also painting an old CD rack white after taking out most of the shelves. I plan to use it as a planter :D
(That post was inspired by the Pinterest topic as it is a bit crafty)

ATouchOfStuffing Sun 17-Mar-13 12:32:04

soethis? Something!

AnitaManeater Sun 17-Mar-13 12:34:20

I chuck the kids fabric insulated lunchboxes in the washing machine on Fridays. I flip them inside out first and they come up really well.

OrbisNonSufficit Sun 17-Mar-13 15:21:48

Aw thanks OTOS, I picked it 'cos it reminds me to keep on dreaming about bigger and better things grin.

Generally whenever I'm folding fitted sheets I do it wrong at least twice before I get it right. Mainly because I try to do it standing up & holding the sheet usually - it's much easier if you lay it on a bed. Fold in half, stuff corners into other corners, then fold in half again (on bed) but turn the top side you're folding into the bottom side (iyswim) inside out as you're folding it into the other one.

It's a crafty day for everyone it seems. I've been Ikea hacking (well, mini hack, cutting sections out of a HOL blanket box so I can use it as a tv stand - the plan is to hide all of the cables and x-box etc inside it and hopefully as it has holes the remote control will still work). Then if it ever stops raining I'll lime wax it so it doesn't look quite so IKEA...

OrbisNonSufficit Sun 17-Mar-13 15:27:11

The wonder of the hand-held steamer. I'm not a huge fan of ironing, and anyway a lot of my clothes that need some kind of ironing are delicate things that I always seem to damage when I iron them. Hand-held steamer to the rescue! Faster AND easier (no faffing with ironing board required).

Ditto the wonder of the hand-held vacuum - we just got a dyson one and I LOVE it, so quick to whizz around a few messy bits without having to drag the massive normal one out of the cupboard and manhandle it etc.

Showtime Sun 17-Mar-13 21:35:05

Struggling first thing in the morning with stiff joints and trying to measure out 5ml medication in the small spoon provided, too much went over the sides before reaching mouth, But have recently found that using the 10ml-size spoon on the other side, filling it only half-full, makes life much easier and not a drop spilled.

StoicButStressed Sun 17-Mar-13 23:17:59

Dear Allsmile Yes, it's Stoic The Fool here grin

BTW Thumbwitch, YY re all... other than the outing issue (given at ome point in the future I'm gonna have to name-change AND delete whole load of personal posts tooblush.

Right, now am well steered away from thick posts but DO still want to help, here is today's offeringsmile - but focussing on the money saving stuff re all above rather than posting own copyrighted materialwink - (& yes, do still feel a bit doh funnily enough!)

1: If needing buy anything (gift, something for home, whatever), you MUSt go the MSExpert site; 'search' on 'main site' option for Amazon; and you will find a pre-coded Amazon discount finder (which unless you are freakin AMAZING at coding yourself, will NEVER be able to do). Can pick category want to look in and then 'set' the % discount level - i.e DC clothes at 80% off etc). ONLY caveats are i) Check the postage carefully (as seller may be recouping losses via that; ii) Check you CAN'T get it cheaper somewhere else (I.E. if a seller had put in a hugely inflated price in first instance so 'appears' cheaper when may not in fact be cheapest. Other than those caveats though, it is an amazing tool as lets you see stuff that Amazon have squirrelled away and that you prob would NOT find on a 'normal serach'.

2: THIS site is just awesome. Sells what are obviously end of lines etc, but ABSURDLY cheap - WAY cheaper than seen elsewhere; and can not only search by category but simply go DIRECTLY to their £1 'shop'. E.G.'s of today's stuff (& prob tomorrows too):

- ASDA Fleece - £1.00shock

- Clip Lock Containers (size: round, square or rectangular)....
..... THREE Pack for £1.00smile

- Umbrella 50cm Astd Colours - I just bought a clear one with pink spots for a quidsmile

List just goes on and on and ON - nail clipper for a quid; very posh eye-liner for a quid; _ SIXTEEN AA or AAA batteries for a quid_ shock; Non-stick pizza tray for a £1.50, ditto Roasting Tray, ditto... you get drift!

And then GIFTS[GRIN]

GORG cuff adjustable bangles in diff colours - 65p each! (Yes, ordered a few for present cupboard - just wrap in tissue paper before gift paper and NO WAY will ANYONE know it cost you 65p!)

And then if you REALLY want to splurge out wink - FAB 'duvet' slipper booties for £4; snuggy fleece dressing gowns for £7; and then LOADS of make-up/gift-sets including Elizabeth Arden gift sets, FCUK gift set etc WAY cheaper than in stores. Ditto Technics Nail Varnishes for a quid and loads of branded make up (& other branded products in other categories) at WAY below normal retail price.

P&P is £4.95 so either order a fair few items yourself to justify that (or will lose your fab savings...) OR get together with a few mates, order together, then the P&P maybe just a quid eachgrin

PS. Is also an 'adult section' (IYKWIM??!) that is also WAY cheaper than THAT popular 'High Street Adult chain of shops', cough... <the one that sells Rampent Rabbits etc;->

Thumbwitch Mon 18-Mar-13 00:51:57

Stoic - advice point no. 2 = fab, but I can't get your first advice point to work - MSExpert doesn't seem to have the option you're suggesting, but when I went to Resources and Search, put in Amazon and got 0 results. Not sure what I'm doing wrong there but something, that's for sure!

lolalotta Mon 18-Mar-13 06:40:28

Stoic, I'm being a bit thick, are you writing a book? Is that why you had to delete your posts?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now