Floor tile grout

(14 Posts)
ChocolateCoins Mon 11-Mar-13 21:36:08

I have a tiled floor in my kitchen and hall with White grouting. We've only lived here 7 months but it's filthy and scrubbing it doesn't clean it. Is there some secret tip I'm missing? It drives me crazy every time I look at it, as it makes my floors look dirty even though they're clean!

ISeeSmallPeople Mon 11-Mar-13 21:37:54

Have it replaced with grey grout.

or spend your life steam cleaning and bleaching it

FriedSprout Mon 11-Mar-13 21:39:57

Yes, def. agree with grey grout, now I only have to change the colour of the tiles grin

FriedSprout Mon 11-Mar-13 21:43:33

Found this site, may be useful

tile problems

ChocolateCoins Mon 11-Mar-13 21:47:44

I can't replace it because it's a rented house. sad really wish we could! Thanks for the link, I'll have a read now.

Wandawingsthe2nd Mon 11-Mar-13 22:55:53

Cif and a toothbrush for me.

betterwhenthesunshines Tue 12-Mar-13 15:37:11

I've just done my grout with Fairy Power spray and a bathroom scourer and it's come up pretty good. It's not white mind you but it has gone from nearly black blush back to beige.

ChocolateCoins Tue 12-Mar-13 16:02:52

Beige would be good enough for me! grin I will try with a scooter and toothbrush. Thanks for the replies.

ChocolateCoins Tue 12-Mar-13 16:03:18

Scourer not scooter!

ChocolateCoins Wed 13-Mar-13 13:00:18

Thanks for the toothbrush idea, I am slowly getting there although it has taken me 40 mins to do one row of tiles!

PolterGoose Wed 13-Mar-13 17:00:31

Once you've cleaned it (try thick bleach and toothbrush) rinse and dry well and apply a coat of this grout and tile protector

Wonderland121 Wed 13-Mar-13 17:03:37

I fear we are going to have this problem, how would you replace with grey?

ChocolateCoins Wed 13-Mar-13 22:26:34

Will bleach actually turn it White again? I have scrubbed it with a cleaning spray which worked quite well, but it's still a grey ish colour so still looks dirty.

Thanks for the link goose, I'll definitely have to get some of that!

ceres Thu 14-Mar-13 07:28:27

i have pale grey grout on my kitchen floor which had gone very dark in places.

i had a google and then used oxygen bleach - oxi clean or similar.

it was quite messy but worked really well and returned the stained grout to the original colour.

i'm not sure how it compares to chlorine bleach as have never used that on grout.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now