FLYing through March: Fledglings Assemble

(672 Posts)
SilveryMoon Thu 28-Feb-13 20:10:22

Welcome to the March Fledgling FLYers thread

... where we (loosely) follow the step-by-step Flylady housekeeping system (in our own, unique, relaxed style) with lots of and chatting along the way.

This little-and-often system is designed so that we can follow a series of steps and routines each day (which gradually become second nature) in weekly designated zones of the house; defining and minimising housework - which in theory should leave us with more time to do other, more interesting things instead!

At the same time it is intended to reduce that panicky "rabbit in headlights" feeling we get when we are overwhelmed and everything needs doing all at once.

To avoid being inundated with details, we advise not signing up to the Big Tent

We are in the process of following Flylady's steps and routines using a three-pronged approach (dependent on the stage everyone is at):

- start or repeat baby steps

- repeat baby steps + do 15 mins a day decluttering in the current zone

- reinforce babysteps and do daily missions if you have finished decluttering.

[And if you are really enthusiastic and have finished decluttering - you can go on to detailed deep cleaning in each zone.]

Flylady site here

Don't worry if you are behind; just jump right back in and it will all come around next month again anyway!

All the links for the babysteps and missions will be posted here every day and we'll all be here to cheer each other on.

thanks to SC and Blue for leading us through January and February and for the brilliant OP I've just cut and pasted .

Let's get the old dust balls rolling for March!

ellesabe Tue 26-Mar-13 08:52:02

Dd1 has woken up this morning with her eyes stuck closed and her hair stuck in the crusty snot that is caked on her cheeks. I feel really sorry for her but eeeeewwwwww it's gross!

GoingGoingGoth Tue 26-Mar-13 10:09:46

WhoKnows I had/have a similar problem with DD, she loves reading, has a great vocabulary, loves writing stories...however no one, apart from her teacher, could read them. I couldn't make it out half the time.

Part of the problem was (when we were in England P2) she was taught cursive writing straight away, now (in Scotland) the teacher has taken her back to basics and made her print. She's slowly reintroducing cursive, but it it so nice to be able to read what she's put.

On the other hand, a friend's DS also had trouble with handwriting, and she said it seemed to sort itself out by itself when he was 9.

Elles ewwww

Today is a bonus day, as I thought I'd be out grin

Done
Beds
Windows
Washing up
Dd to school
Picked up a few bits from shop
Laundry on

To do
S&S
Dry laundry away
Next batch of ironing
Litter tray
Possibly hang laundry outside
Get sewing machine out once DH goes out
Collect Dd
Supervise homework
Dinner
Wash up & SS

whoknows do you think she'd write more clearly if she had a 'purpose'- pen friend or sponsor child maybe? I struggled to write cursively partly due to dyspraxia. Even now I'm glad that I don't have to teach cursive writing (i teach reception)

ta dah
cleaned kitchen floor
dusted ds room

To do today
Laundry
dust our room
visit from ds great grandma
Finish felt bunnies!
Hoover upstairs

SilveryMoon Tue 26-Mar-13 12:12:40

Cursive is crazy. Ds1 was made to do cursive from nursery aged 3. His writing is still a muddle but I'm trying not to worry or push it too hard.
I'm working on reading, sight words and numeracy as he chooses.

I am unreasonably pissed off today. At work and in a foul mood. Still over something that happened on Friday. I want to tell my colleague why I'm pissed off but know it's unreasonable so suppose I just have to wait the mood out.

WhoKnowsWhereTheChocolateGoes Tue 26-Mar-13 13:16:53

They do cursive from day 1 at the DCs school. I can see the arguments for it, DH has never mastered it and writes slowly in block capitals. Whereas I can write very fast and legibly joined up (although not proper cursive). We have had to try every handwriting intervention there is for DS who has dyspraxic traits, it's definitely not that for DD. I think it is just her being a madam.

<hands out brew> sounds as though a few people could do with one.

Louise85 Tue 26-Mar-13 16:26:21

Need to get rest of dinner on, so just a quick list to see where I'm at (Elles - we also had a snot encrusted Dd this am - although she only woke at 11:15 shock, 15 hrs of sleep is a record for her!!)

ta da
Beds
windows
washing in & hung up
dry washing folded
dw on & kitchen tidy (--since I was too lazy last night-- blush)
Defrost fridge/freezer and proper clean
Dinner - roast chicken already in, just need to pop in some potato
cut up egg boxes for crafts for dd
spent ages researching crafts to keep busy over Easter

to do
put away folded washing
finish dinner
tidy kitchen
sort dining table before dinner (paint everywhere!!)
strip spare room bed for washing
shopping (online or visit to Tesco - can't decide...which is cheaper, asda or tesco??)

angry Dd has just informed me that she's had a wee & poo accident - why? she was too busy drawing to go to the toilet!!! hmm angry...better go clean her up - yuck!

ellesabe Tue 26-Mar-13 18:27:08

Louise 11:15?!?!?! envy I'm sure the sleep did her good!

GoingGoingGoth Tue 26-Mar-13 19:37:26

Louise the 'too busy' excuse-classic

Done
Beds
Windows
Washing up
Dd to school
Picked up a few bits from shop
Laundry on
S&S
Dry laundry away
Next batch of ironing
Litter tray
Possibly hang laundry outside -ha ha, it snowed again
Get sewing machine out once DH goes out, once being the important word. Made 2 cushions, 1 heart shaped & some bunting for DD's room
Vacuumed up all sewing bits, then quick run through flat.
Collect Dd
Supervise homework
Dinner
Wash up & SS
2nd load laundry on

To do
Another batch of dry laundry to go away

Excited as I got a big bag of wool delivered today, all different types.

SilveryMoon Tue 26-Mar-13 20:02:06

Evening.
Blue Thanks for the reminder about today being plan and play day smile
WhoKnows had parents evening and found out her dd has made great progress in maths and reading so far! Well done her grin but her writing needs some work. Try not to worry about it Who sounds like she is doing brilliantly and the rest will come in it’s own time.
elles has a poorly dd who woke this morning completely covered in snot. Yuk indeed. Hope she’s feeling a bit better.
Goth is excited because she got a new batch of wool delivered.

My tada
Up and made beds
Showered and dressed
Swished and swiped
Breakfast out and cleared
Bags packed
Rubbish out
Work
Collected boys from after school club
Homework
Dinner cooked
Laundry
Dry clothes sorted
Tomorrows clothes out
Cleaned kitchen
15 mins detail - I hovered soft furnishings
Tomorrows lunch made
Bags packed

Now I’m going to watch The Iron Lady and have a small wine

SilveryMoon Tue 26-Mar-13 20:07:03

LINKS FOR WEDNESDAY 27th MARCH
b abystep 27 think about what's for dinner. Put it in your control journal. Will you decide as part of your before bed routine or as part of your morning routine?
mission is to do a detailed hoover
daily focus anti-procrastination day. Anything else? Oh, clean out your fridge and write your shopping list before the scheduled food shop tomorrow.
I might try to do this soon, would save doing it on te weekend.
flight plan for our daily routines

WhoKnowsWhereTheChocolateGoes Tue 26-Mar-13 22:16:08

Thank you for all the helpful words re DD and the reading. Unfortunately with SATS looming it does matter as this will drag down her entire literacy score. Anyway, she promised to do her best at school today, and did some neat writing out of times tables at home tonight.

Not much Flying as it was a work day followed by ballet for DD and Cubs for DS. Will do some in the morning.

superfluouscurves Wed 27-Mar-13 08:54:40

All these tests at such a young age are unnecessarily stressful Whoknows aren't they? (For dc and parents.) It's so unfair that she will be marked down when she has made such brilliant progress (talk about demoralising!) I find it all a nightmare. Being in this strict continental system, dd has been taught cursive writing like my grandparents used to write in the 1920s with so many flourishes and curlicues that it is only now at 9 yrs that she is writing in a consistent size; and I've noticed with her sewing (I am teaching her the basics once a week) that she has just started exerting better control over her needle and thread, so I think hand control comes with time. So try not to worry (easier said than done I know) - your dd has made brilliant progress this year and will no doubt take another great leap with her writing soon - progress is never linear with dc, but in stops and starts.

Thanks for links and round-up Silvery and congrats on your productive day yesterday

Hope everyone (including snuffly dc) is OK!

Flying-wise I am very upset with myself, because I spent most of the day yesterday avoiding doing various chores, and when I came to do them they took half the time imagined and weren't half as bad as I had built them up to be. I really should stop repeating this mistake at my age!

Freezing cold outside atm but we have sunshine (hurrary!) which is illuminating the dust and clutter and so I am inspired to get on and chuck stuff out this morning. Feeling a bit overwhelmed by the amount of stuff there is to do though which involves carrying heavy boxes up and down endless flights of stairs.

The good news is that my fortnightly ironing lady is here!! (She is coming more regularly atm to help me catch up.) Yeaaahhhhhh!! smile

Morning bears for everyone instead of wing flaps today!

bear bear bear bear bear bear bear

superfluouscurves Wed 27-Mar-13 08:57:56

PS Watched marvellous tv prog last night about two mothers who also happened to be disabled. They were both so inspiring, I was awestruck! Have decided to try and be a bit more positive about this house having seen the mountains other people have to climb every day.

lightsandshapes Wed 27-Mar-13 11:25:25

Can someone explain the control journal to me. I can't get my head around it. What goes into it?

GoingGoingGoth Wed 27-Mar-13 11:51:21

Hi Lights I think it's meant to be a handy reference for all your routines etc.
TBH I don't use one, I find this thread replaces it. I think it's meant to be like a 'super diary'

I do use a calendar to record all special dates and then transfer each weeks on to a white board in the kitchen, so I know what I'm supposed to be doing each day (well that's the theory)

Done (so far)
Beds
Windows
Washing up
Dd to school
Trip to Morrisons
Walk home in snow sad
Thaw out with toasted hot cross buns
Bugger about on FB/MN

To do
Litter tray
Put away dry clothes
NO IRONING grin
Put on next load of laundry
Make flapjacks
Work
Dinner
Wash up & SS

lightsandshapes Wed 27-Mar-13 13:10:14

Thanks goingoginggoth thanks

lightsandshapes Wed 27-Mar-13 13:10:47

Ps what do people do on the days they work outside the home. Do you just do it all in the evenings?

Louise85 Wed 27-Mar-13 13:34:59

lightsandshapes I'm a SHM - but with 2 month old & toddler I don't get any flying done during the day (maybe odd bit of washing in, but that's all) - I do all my routines in the morning before DH goes to work and evening once DC are in bed (well, in theory blush) - I find if I just concentrate quickly it goes so much quicker than if I tried doing more in the day in anycase...

then again - I am VERY new to flylady, so may be telling you the wrong thing wink

superfluouscurves Wed 27-Mar-13 15:21:18

Hi LightsandShapes more info about setting up a control journal here It's not obligatory, some people have one, some don't, some have made up a similar thing on screen. Personally, I find it quite useful. It contains jobs I do annually, monthly, at partic times of year, weekly, daily routines etc this sort of thing and stuff like meal planning (on-line supermarket shop details), important addresses, emergency numbers, info that's useful for pet-sitters etc when we go away, info that would be useful if I suddenly had to go in to hospital or something! It also contains (first page) my weekly routine where I've blocked out my time - like a school timetable. Adapt it to suit yourself!

Some tips/info about working and Flying here. I only work approx 9-16 hrs a week atm but when I worked three days (Mon, Wed, Fri), I kept the basic daily routines going during the week ie meal planning, putting out clothes for the next day the night before, shining the sink, doing one load laundry a day, and then I did my home blessing on Tues and supermarket shopping Thurs. That way, weekends were free (but I only have one dc). Don't forget to delegate tasks to rest of family too! Tbh, I was much more productive when I was working three days than I am now working less hrs...

Sorry, have written another essay ...good luck with it all anyway!

SilveryMoon Wed 27-Mar-13 20:12:17

Good evening lovely ladies grin
What a day. My car wouldn’t start this morning, so had to be jump started. Grr.
Had a day at work, left at the end of the day, and guess what? Yep, the bloody car wouldn’t start. I needed to be jump started again blush so straight off to Halfords I went to have the battery checked. And then replaced. Fingers crossed it’ll be ok now, I’ve needed to be jump started quite a bit in the past few weeks. Dp was convinced I was sat in te car listening to the radio with the engine off every day hmm
We heard back from the bank today re mortgage amount. If me and dp go in together (our current mortgage is just his) we can get a lot more than I thought we would but would still be a few k short of what we’d need to get a 3 bed.
So the plan now is to save save save and hopefully in a few years we can get a place that will one day be ours completely and the boys can have their own room. Atm we are in shared ownership so even when the mortgage is fully paid off, we still won’t own it.
Looking forward to tomorrow lunch time, I really need the 2 week break from work and every single person there.

sc I know what you mean about putting chores off and they end up being not that bad. 15 mins really is nothing at all and I find I can get soooooooo much done in that time. I have just set my timer and washed down 2 walls in my living room including the skirting board and floor edge for those walls, both sides of door and frame.

lights here is the link to creating your own control journal.
I love mine, I have done it exactly how Flylady says to and I find it really useful. I have a section that has my daily routines, another section that has my detailed cleaning lists for all zones, a sheet that has all our info (allergies, medications, dob etc) on, a sheet with emergency contact numbers (doctors, hospital, nhs direct etc), a section with general contacts (friends addresses and tel numbers), a section for birthdays and Christmas etc with lists of close family/friends favourite things/colours/ideas for gifts.
I find it helpful to just know all that stuff is there. Mine is in a ring binder which lives open on my kitchen counter.
Re working, I work full time so have had to adjust the system slightly. I do the weekly blessing <boak> on the weekend along with my food shopping and the things from the daily focus, but have strong morning, and evening routines that keep me on top of things during the week.
FlyLady recommends about 4/5 things on a routine list. I think my afternoon/evening one has about 16!
You’ve just got to find what works for you.
I see sc has posted some useful links too. grin
I’m struggling to get through my detailed cleaning lists for every zone in the week we are given, but hoping that that won’t always be the case once I start to actually do it all the time……..

SilveryMoon Wed 27-Mar-13 20:18:28

LINKS FOR THURSDAY 27th MARCH
babystep 28 as part of your routines, remind yourself to eat well, drink your water and get your rest.
mission is to wipe down the fingerprints etc on your living room walls.
daily focus is errand day. Pop into town, do your food shopping etc. Link will update automatically
flight plan for our routines

hello all. my cold has subsided so after two days in bed I am slinking back onto the thread.

ta da
shine sink
general tidy
swished bathroom
made bed
yoga smile
took stuff to post office
smear test sad
bathed dd and self
dinner in oven

to do
put away laundry
tomorrow's clothes
eat chocolate to console self for having smear

I haven't really started on the control journal. dp would think I've gone mad, for a start.

GoingGoingGoth Wed 27-Mar-13 20:26:19

<bows down to Silvery for even attempting detailed lists>

Ta dah
Beds
Windows
Washing up
Dd to school
Trip to Morrisons
Walk home in snow
Thaw out with toasted hot cross buns
Bugger about on FB/MN
Put away dry clothes
NO IRONING
Put on next load of laundry
Make flapjacks
Work
Dinner
Wash up & SS

SilveryMoon Wed 27-Mar-13 20:28:14

Ha Goth I don't tend to do the missions, I've kind of incorporated the missions into my detailed list so just do 1 15 min session a day on top of routines. Well, sometimes.

WhoKnowsWhereTheChocolateGoes Wed 27-Mar-13 22:14:51

DD's teacher waved frantically at me across the playground this evening, grabbed me by the arm and dragged me inside to show me the neatest, clearest (Level 2 standard) piece of writing that DD has ever done. I think we were correct about DD's attitude problem. Just got to keep it up now.

Flying wise, squeezed an hour or so of general tidying, hoovering etc into the middle of the day between two sessions of volunteering at school (I love helping, but not many of the other parents are willing/able to, so it does tend to be the same few of us over and over). Needed to get the place respectable before DS's friend came over after school (he comes from an immaculate home).

Managed a bit of gardening this afternoon too, it wasn't too cold out of the wind, our garden is fairly enclosed. Bloody freezing everywhere else though, I reckon I have clocked up several miles on foot between school, shopping and Brownie runs today and been sooo cold.

MrsB - well done on going for the smear, not pleasant but so important.

Silvery - glad you got the battery sorted and that you've got a clear plan for home ownership.

Lights - been Flying three years and still no control journal here. I keep starting them but never keep it up. Some people use the Home Routines app for Iphone/Ipad, it can be customised to Flylady zones etc. I work two days and try and do most of the Flying on the other three, but to be honest I'd far rather study, help in school, go swimming, go shopping, meet friends for coffee, just about anything rather than do than housework. I also do some in the hours or so after school before getting tea ready.

Goth - hot cross buns sound yummy I ate a whole packet by myself last week

SC - sewing was what I was helping with in DS's class today (8/9 year olds). The variation in skill level was huge. Needless to say DS struggles, his coordination really isn't up to much, to be honest neither was his interest level for this, makes me feel a bit sad.

Louise - I agree, concentration is key. I am crap at concentrating on housework and definitely manage it better when time is tight (or visitors pending).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now