40 bags in 40 days...anyone doing this or want to join me?

(82 Posts)
HiccupHaddockHorrendous Sat 16-Feb-13 09:01:14

I read about this a few days ago and should have started on Wednesday but the children have been off all week and it's pointless trying to sort anything out while they're here (only one DS of my own but look after several others).

Today, my goal is to fill a minimum of 4 bags and get them out of the house.

Anyone want to join me?

AdoraBell Thu 04-Apr-13 16:19:29

I have a confessionblush I defected to the Minimalist Quiche <runs>

Have shifted loads of clutter but couldn't fit in around the 40 bags/40 days theme.

Meglet Wed 03-Apr-13 19:03:48

Just popping back.

I have cleared out quite a lot of stuff but I'm stuck waiting for car boot season now. Got several big blue Ikea bags of kids stuff in my loft and mums spare room waiting for the sun to shine.

So once I can do a car boot sale I can clear everything.

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Sat 09-Mar-13 08:24:49

Issimma - welcome!

Right, I am up early(ish) and ready to get some bags filled!

I still have the bags I filled from last week to take to the charity shop so will put them straight in the car and go and fill some more!

issimma Tue 05-Mar-13 15:05:19

Can I join? Am v keen declutterer, and hate 'stuff'. Will aim for 30 bags this March, excluding putting the bins out.
Today: 2 carriers of clothes freecycled. 28 to go.

stormforce10 Mon 04-Mar-13 23:26:33

latest tally

5 1/2 bags rubbish gone
1 1/2 bags to charity shop
1 box toys for charity shop
3 bags for charity
1 bag dds school uniform for school shop
1 bag shoes for recycling
baby swing and maternity clothes free cycled

house still a tip shock

BigPigLittlePig Mon 04-Mar-13 11:43:02

No further on as we went away for the weekend. Am hopinh dd naps this afternoon so I can tackle the kitchen...

stormforce10 Sun 03-Mar-13 19:56:36

Not really done much today but have managed to freecycle the baby swing which ds had grown out of and was taking a lot of floor space. Maternity clothes have gone too smile

hugoagogo Sun 03-Mar-13 19:07:25

Is it too late too start?

I have cleared a box of dvds-to the charity shop today.

It's a start.

Does anyone know what to do with recordable video tapes?

starfishmummy Sat 02-Mar-13 17:06:06

Just starting. I have one an a half bags of clothes ready to go to the school money for clothes collection next week. Hopefully I will have time to sort some more out before it goes.
Also half a very large bin bag of rubbish sorted.
I also need to clear out a food cupboard this week - there's a load of ancient stuff in there that Dh has bought and never used, (stuff only he likes)

stormforce10 Sat 02-Mar-13 11:01:33

Just tidied the accumalated junk from the bottom of DD's wardrobe. Quarter black sack of rubbish, half an ikea bag of charity stuff and a few things put away properly. All that's left in the bottom of her wardrobe are her school shoes, her slippers and a paid of boots. Next under her bed (she has a cabin bed this could take some time)

AdoraBell Sat 02-Mar-13 02:19:37

Make that tomorrow for DD1's roomblush we we're all day. I did, however find £30 in an enevelope whilst sorting my junk cupboard in the kitchengrin

stormforce10 Fri 01-Mar-13 14:42:37

Day 5 and nothing out of the house BUT I've filled 2 black bags with rubbish ready to go out on collection day and added them to the one I did yesterday. I've filled a big aldi bag (the sort you pay 80p for at the till) and completed filling the ikea bag. I've also put a big rug and a brief case on the charity shop pile.

So still at 2 1/2 bags gone but have another 5 bags ready to go.

I've also found 2 mini boden dresses and a baby bjorn carrier to list on ebay..

Current tally

1 bag rubbish gone
3 bags rubbish waiting to go
1 1/2 bags to charity shop
1 small bag maternity clothes waiting for freecycler to pick up
2 bags to go to charity shop
1 box of toys for charity shop

The house is starting to feel very slightly tidier smile

DesiderataHollow Fri 01-Mar-13 12:54:08

Late to the party..... but one whole room emptied that was three foot deep with an invisible floor! Too many bags to count, one ikea bag of ebay-ables and a couple of large metal items left out for the scrap man. grin

Now of course, we have t work out how to replace the rotten window, and replaster the back wall. With no money.

AdoraBell Fri 01-Mar-13 02:35:40

Okay, not much moré actually decluttered, but the clothes have been taken into town To the recycling place. Tomorrow I shall start on DD1's room.

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Thu 28-Feb-13 21:09:07

Right, I am so far behind, it's embarrassing blush.

I'm not even sure how many bags I should have filled by now...I think it's 15.

I have an unexpected morning off tomorrow so am wondering how much I can realistically do in 2 hours before I start work at 11...surely, I could get 10 bags out of the house. There are still three upstairs that haven't made it out of the door yet so am going to be cheeky and add them to my 10 grin

This sort of thing often happens to me...I start a support thread and end up disappearing off the face of the earth blushgrin...it happened a couple of times when I started an eBay challenge thread and also when I started a weight loss thread. I must not start any more support threads. Fact!

BigPigLittlePig Thu 28-Feb-13 13:32:52

Another 2 bags of rubbish today - 11/40 so far.
Beginning to think my house must just be full of shit.

stormforce10 Thu 28-Feb-13 12:53:09

Nearly filled another ikea bag with my clothes. I can close my drawers without having to sqash stuff down and found some lovely tops I'd forgotten about smile

Someone has asked for my maternity clothes - just waiting to hear when they want to pick them up otherwise they too are off to the charity shop.

I've sorted out half a dozen pairs of old shoes belonging to DP and 3 belonging to me that are beyond keeping let alone wearing and I'm going to take them off to the shoe bank tomorrow.

Half filled another bin bag.

Also chosen 10 books to take to charity shop. i hate getting rid of books but we have so many.

Stopping now. Had next to no sleep last night thanks to DS teething and all this activity is exhausting me

stormforce10 Wed 27-Feb-13 20:28:38

couldn't stand it. I emptied the half full ikea bag into a smaller bag and took it to Oxfam so that's 2 1/2 bags done.

dd has been through her toy cupboard and sorted out a box full of stuff that she wants to sale to make money for the local children's hospital. We're not really in the right sort of place for a yard sale and I din't have a car so car boot sale would be difficult. Anyone got any ideas on how we can do this please. I'm quite happy to add a pile for stuff to hers. I could use the money but I think I should encourage her if she wants to help a charity.

sunnyshine Wed 27-Feb-13 19:19:45

2 more bin bags out! No one has missed anything yet grin and I bought 2 x 80 litre boxes to organise the loft!

stormforce10 Wed 27-Feb-13 13:47:57

I have now filled the black sack and its tied up ready to go out with next weeks rubbish. Still in the house so cant count it yet.

I've put my maternity clothes on free cycle and Im hoping someone will decide to come and pick them up. They don't really make more than a carrier bag so ot sure if can count them

I've half filled another ikea bag for the charity shop

I've put the pram carry cot in the loft as ds no longer fits in it and it takes up quite a bit of space but do not want to get rid of it as was expensive and my sister is hoping to have a baby in next couple of years.

Tomorrow I will sort through my wardrobe with a view to filling up the ikea bag.

So no bags out today but hopefully a few on their way

I didn't manage to declutter anything today, but we did freecycle our kitchen table and chairs and they've gone to a loving home, so I have lost a dumping ground and gained a huge space. smile

BigPigLittlePig Tue 26-Feb-13 20:49:06

Good day today - 2 binbags of rubbish blush, 1 bag of toys for car boot/charity shop. So 5 binbags of rubbish in total, about 3 of clothes and 1 of toys. Not doing too badly at all!

takeaway2 Tue 26-Feb-13 20:02:47

Thanks bigpig. It's hideous trying to match things up. At the moment I have a puzzle with two missing parts, I also have toy fruit everywhere when actually they need to be with the toy kitchen ... But I really can't be going up and down trying to bring things here there and everywhere. I will endeavor the next time I have a moment - which will be in 3 weekends time. (Away this weekend, in London next weekend for work...). hmm

stormforce10 Tue 26-Feb-13 13:40:08

Yipee blue ikea bag filled to over flowing AND taken to charity shop. 2 down 38 to go!!!

stormforce10 Tue 26-Feb-13 12:08:59

I have nearly filled one big blue ikea bag with stuff for charity and one black bin bag with stuff for the bin. The cupboard under the stairs and my bits and bobs cupobard in the sitting room looking slightly tidier. Going to clear out a basket full of "stuff" now then dd's pen and pencil box. I am sure that there are many that have run out and can be chucked out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now