40 bags in 40 days...anyone doing this or want to join me?

(82 Posts)
HiccupHaddockHorrendous Sat 16-Feb-13 09:01:14

I read about this a few days ago and should have started on Wednesday but the children have been off all week and it's pointless trying to sort anything out while they're here (only one DS of my own but look after several others).

Today, my goal is to fill a minimum of 4 bags and get them out of the house.

Anyone want to join me?

AdoraBell Fri 22-Feb-13 16:50:14

Wardrobe will be finished today, just pulled out a few things list night, some of my no-longer-needed things are in the ironing pile, no point ironing stuff I'm getting rid of.

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Sat 23-Feb-13 17:33:08

I am so crap...I've been lurking on my own thread blush.

So far, I have cleared a grand total of zero bags!

However, I have spent the last hour and a half in my bedroom and now have a bag of rubbish, two bags and a bean bag for the charity shop, 1 bag of rags (where's best to get rid of these?) and a bag to give to my sister!

I have one more hour to get things sorted before stopping for the evening. Also, most of my wardrobe is now in folded piles on my bed so I need to put it all away before I finish otherwise it'll all be on the floor again when I go up to bed.

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Sat 23-Feb-13 18:30:58

Hmm, not quite sure why it takes me so long to achieve one small thing but my room is still a total tip sad.

I have changed DS' bedding though so that's a bonus grin.

Think I might have to spend another hour up there after dinner. Hopefully, I'll be able to fill another bag or two.

recall Sat 23-Feb-13 18:37:34

I am going to do it different.

will completely empty each cupboard/drawer. tip it into box. tip box onto sorting table.divide into different sorting bags.

I plan to use our dining room and keep going until whole house is de cluttered room by room. Then one trip to tip, charity shop, wood burner.

very excited !!!

Meglet Sat 23-Feb-13 18:55:56

2 bags today. One was actually a bags worth of kids toys that I sold via Facebay (£8 up + kerching!).

And a bag of random crap from the toy boxes, mainly tatty books and art + craft pictures to treasure tat that was just being squashed.

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Sat 23-Feb-13 19:04:26

Recall - when I do that, I find I get bored halfway through then everything just gets shoved back into cupboards/drawers blush

Meglet - well done!

recall Sun 24-Feb-13 01:38:58

hiccup well....even worse, never started sad lost interest, had a bit of a row with husband and can't be bothered now, lost all enthusiasm.

Meglet Sun 24-Feb-13 09:49:29

hiccup we started reading a HTTYD book this week, last week I wouldn't of had a clue what your name meant!

recall I'm going to do my cupboards now. Get it all out on the dining table and organise it before it goes back. There will be shouting as I'm sure the dc's will try and 'help' but I need my kitchen in order again!

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Sun 24-Feb-13 09:58:51

Recall - sad oh dear! Can I recommend a strong coffee, piece of cake toast then half an hour of sorting?

Meglet - I Ds loves the books. There are quite a few of them aswell ... I think about 10 or 12. Have you seen the film? As usual, the books are much better. The film changed a couple of major details which ruined it for me! <realises they're a children's series blush>

We're off out in an hour so once I've got dressed, I'm going to put all the rubbish out...including 4 empty cardboard boxes that I was keeping, just incase blush. I'm such a hoarder!

Muppeeeto Sun 24-Feb-13 10:02:01

Right, the past 2 days have been unsuccessful, so today is the day!
Kitchen corner cupboard + children's toys + children's clothes .....

Will report back when finished.

Muppeeeto Sun 24-Feb-13 10:03:00

Ooops, have name changed from before

I'm a late joiner, but I'm trying to remove some of the crap items we have amassed in the past few years.

Yesterday DS1 and I got rid of a bin bag of teddies (charity), and some old socks for recycling.

Today I sorted my birthday candles/banners etc and boxed the ones for keeping, binning the old rubbishy bits and we have two bags full of old games from the play room so two ( out of four) shelves are decluttered.

Oh and i also got rid of 50% of our glasses, they were taking up too much space and we didn't use them, so they have to go somewhere....

Startail Sun 24-Feb-13 13:05:48

Lots of clothes to charity shop, done.

How to get DH to chuck 40 tons of magazines is the question?

sunnyshine Sun 24-Feb-13 16:02:38

So saw this thread this morning and am on bin bag number 4 already! Just persuaded my dd we should do her room and she was impressively ruthless!! However she's bored now and I'm left to tidy it up!

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Sun 24-Feb-13 16:59:15

Well done, everyone!

I just gave my friend 8 Nutella glasses blush that were heading for the charity shop...I wonder if that counts as a bag as I did give them to her in a bag grin!!

Also, just sold a buggy via eBay which has made a lovely space by the front door until Tuesday when its replacement arrives!!

Going to list a few things on eBay in the hope that I'll clear some more space in the next week.

sunnyshine Sun 24-Feb-13 19:35:36

Added 2 more to today's total! Off to sort out my understairs cupboard now!! Eeek!!

isw Sun 24-Feb-13 20:47:07

Ok, I am in. 1 extra bag of rubbish out in the wheelie tonight, done smile

Not quite sure how I am going to fit this in, got 3 family birthdays this week and a weeks holiday after that... But there is always some excuse!

sunnyshine Sun 24-Feb-13 22:43:44

2 more from understairs cupboard that's 7 today!!!

JengaBlock Sun 24-Feb-13 22:54:29

Can I start tomorrow please? Really want to do this!

AdoraBell Mon 25-Feb-13 03:21:47

Found more things in my wardrobe that can gogrin

stormforce10 Mon 25-Feb-13 17:04:40

Please can I join? I seriously need to declutter but I'm rubbish at it. I desperately need support, managable targets and motivation and this seems perfect. If I have to come and report here every day for 40 days it will force me to get on with it. I'll start tomorrow with a bag of CDs for the charity shop

<waves to everyone> smile

I got rid of a bag full of rubbish from my utility cupboards and a bag and a half from the cupboards under the sink. DH fixed the leak under the sink and we got rid of the shelf in the cupboard so there's less room for all the rubbish that was in there before.

I'm impressed with my achievements so far, I'm trying to be ruthless

Meglet Mon 25-Feb-13 18:44:41

I've not cleared a whole bag out today (unless you count a changing mat) but I'm continually adding to the school charity clothes bag pile which is being collected this week and my car boot pile (in loft).

I have over 3 big blue ikea bags for car-booting, so that'll up my total when they finally go grin.

That all counts IMO Meglet especially any dirty nappies, they are bagged after all wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now