Dishwasher questions - yes I'm that boring

(13 Posts)
SlatternismyMiddlename Sat 16-Feb-13 13:53:55

I can't use my dishwasher and washing machine at the same time as they use the same outlet pipe -but that's just my dodgy plumbing!

nannyl Thu 14-Feb-13 20:24:59

i use washing machine and dishwasher at the same time

i rinse things first if very dirty.

plates go next to each other, but i leave 1 gap between bowls

i clean the filter a couple of times a year

njaw Thu 14-Feb-13 18:05:28

Disclaimer I work for a retailer of home appliances, however I'm not trying to sell you one, just help you look after it. end disclaimer

http://dishwashingexpert.co.uk/top-ten-tips

Pretty handy on getting the most out of your dishwasher. It's sponsored by Finish and has good info, video's etc on loading etc

Eskino Thu 14-Feb-13 11:52:54

Oh don't use the powerball tablets they are mega bucks!

I'm sure I found it on here that the Daisy cheapo tablets are just as good.

The salt thingy is supposed to be full of water. It will still swallow a full bag of dish washing salt even though you think it will overflow.

specialsubject Thu 14-Feb-13 11:37:02

dishwasher runs when full, washing machine is irrelevant, they don't hold each other's hands. :-)

clean round seals etc with a damp cloth. Keep it topped up with salt (the salt dispenser will have water in) and rinse aid. Use tablets or powder without rinse aid and salt included as the all-in-ones never work properly and you still need to add salt.

get big food particles off plates before putting in machine but don't rinse them, that is a waste of water. Clean filters regularly. Leave door ajar when not in use.

buy the supplies at Wilkinsons, Aldi etc where they cost under half what they do in the main supermarkets.

bunchamunchycrunchycarrots Thu 14-Feb-13 11:19:53

So that wee ball in the tablet doesn't bounce about inside cleaning the dishes confused. No wonder I'm clueless. I did think that was what got the really tough bits off the plates grin. There is always a bit when it sounds like a plate or cup has fallen/moved which I realised later was the tablet door opening, so I had visions of the wee ball bouncing in between the plates to clean them. God, I'm clueless. I think I'll switch the w/m and d/w on together this morning, and see what happens. I'll look out for some cleaning stuff. It's smelling a bit weird, so I assume that's because it needs a good clean.

Thanks for the help smile.

Muminwestlondon Thu 14-Feb-13 10:50:33

RE the lost manual. There are quite a few appliance manuals online. I found one for my ancient laminator of all things. I also managed to repair both DD's laptops (1 broken screen and 1 teaspill-replacement keyboard) from you tube videos - have a google.

My ordinary plates go next to each other, but I have some others that I don't use so often that bump into each other if I don't leave a space - I'm more worried about them bumping and damaging each other than about them not getting clean.

Not sure what you mean about the "wee ball" getting between your plates? The soapy water is what is getting squooshed around your dishes, not the whole tab/ball if that's what you were thinking.

Ours is often running at the same time as the washing machine, as I tend to switch them both on after breakfast. It doesn't cause them any problems. If you imagine turning your cold sink tap on all the way, and think of how much water would come out (and how much of the kitchen you would drench...), you'll see that there is plenty for two appliances at once.

I buy a bottle of dishwasher cleaner from time to time - you put it upside down in the cutlery rack and run it empty on a hot wash. It opens when it gets hot and sloshes a stronger sort of soapy water around everything. You can also take out the mesh thing in the bottom, and the arm thing under the top basket, both of which I run under the tap to clean them.

I think the salt holder in the bottom is meant to be full of water, but I don't use mine as we have nice soft water and I use all-in-one tabs so we don't need separate salt.

bunchamunchycrunchycarrots Thu 14-Feb-13 10:11:12

Thanks smile

I think I've got some kind of 'fear' of mine - I have had it for about 6 years, but stopped using it about 5 years ago. I've only just 're-discovered' mine and my instruction manual disappeared long ago. For some reason, I can't get my head around how the plates get clean if they are so close to one another. So was wondering if that was just me or if it was sensible to keep spaces between them. I also keep thinking that I'll break either my washing machine or dishwasher or both if I switch them on at the same time, but the DW takes that long, I get frustrated not being able to do a washing when it's on. I think I'm going to try them both (they are hooked up to the same water outlet so I keep thinking that they won't work properly as it's too much water usage at the same time - I have nothing to base that on, just my irrational fear grin).

I opened a bit in the bottom - the bit for salt? and it was just full of water. I've no idea if that means it's not draining away or if it should be full of water at all times. I finally took the mesh bit out and clear that out but no idea about the other bit. I think I'm just strangely baffled by the thing, fascinated by the fact my dishes come out gleeming, and yet I cannot fathom how that wee ball gets in between the plates if they are so close to one another.

I think I need to get out more. All this 'wondering' about my dishwasher and fear of it is a bit sad really. But thanks for the feedback. smile

monsterchild Thu 14-Feb-13 03:03:36

I clean my dishwasher by picking out the big bits then running it empty on the hot setting.

I load mine up pretty full, dishes in each slot, cups and mugs next to each other. I don't put bowls too close to each other though, as they won't get clean.

Washing machine goes on when I need to wash.

newtonupontheheath Thu 14-Feb-13 03:03:24

Oh yes, cleaning... Half a cup of white vinegar on the top rack on highest heat setting/intensive wash. Take all removable parts out, bang on sink til crap falls out, rinse with hot water

newtonupontheheath Thu 14-Feb-13 03:00:46

Some of our plates can go one next to the other, there are a couple that have to have spaces between

Dishwasher goes on whenever full. On mat leave at the mo so it's getting used loads but hope to put it on at a set time ( is there a good time to put it on?) once back at work. Washing machine is in the garage, that goes on first thing when feeding the cat.

Was there another question?

bunchamunchycrunchycarrots Thu 14-Feb-13 00:38:04

Do you stack your plates in each slot or do you leave a space between the plates? Do you switch your washing machine on at the same time as your dishwasher? How do you clean a dishwasher?

I look forward to the pages of replies I'll get to this thread smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now