Dishwasher not washing glasses very well

(14 Posts)
PigletJohn Sat 16-Feb-13 23:43:06

erosion of the surface. All glass does it eventually, old soft glass or fine lead crystal does it fastest.

Nice glasses are best washed by hand.

Mammoth, look inside your kettle. Does it have a white (or other colour) layer of limescale? If so, you should add salt to the vessel in your dishwasher to soften the water. If your dishwasher has a heating element visible in the bottom (about as thick as a pencil, on little supports, usually bent into an "L" shape that returns back on itself), if it is shiny bright, the water is soft enough. If it is scaly, you need either to add salt, or if you already ad salt, to turn up the hardness setting. The salt goes into a vessel usually in the bottom of the dishwasher under a big plastic screw-cap, but the instructions will tell you.

notforthefainthearted Sat 16-Feb-13 19:24:40

What are the cloudy marks that don't wash off glasses?

Ooh gosh, so much to think about! Will be pursuing dishwasher cleaner and thank you everyone for giving great advice.

Now, I just don't know if we are hard or soft water. We are not on the mains you see, own well. Hmm.

PigletJohn Tue 12-Feb-13 10:57:10

yes, dishwashers work much better if you add salt to the vessel. 5-in-1 tablets are not as good.

older washers without a salt-fill light usually (if Bosch or similar) have a blue float that shows through the salt-vessel cap when salty, when you can't see the blue, it needs topping up.

On Bosch or similar, the adjuster for hardness graduation is usually a small blue dial in the top-left corner of the door frame. If the heating element is visible in the bottom, and is white rather than shiny, the water is not soft enough. If all else fails, read the instructions.

dizzydo Tue 12-Feb-13 10:42:19

SilentMammoth I had this problem too. I decided that in our hardwater area the all in one tabs did not contain enough salt and rinseaid to do a good job. I now buy Tesco value tablets and top up with salt and rinseaid very regularly - about every 5 loads! My glasses sparkle beautifully now. My dishwasher doesnt have lights to remind you to load salt/rinseaid but I would think about adding more anyway Hope that helps

PigletJohn Tue 12-Feb-13 07:42:25

Sandy deposits are food particles.

Take the arms off and wash them out. Taje the filters out and make sure they are all clean and undamaged. Look at the instructions to see how many filters you have, there may be three.

Try a dwr cleaner.

Open the door part way through a wash to verify that the water is squirting powerfully, is properly full, and the tablet has fallen out and not got stuck.

Dishwasher cleaner definitely. I ran a couple of cleaning cycles recently and am truly amazed at how much everything sparkles, seriously! The stuff comes in a bottle and you stick it upside down in the cutlery basket. Own brands are as a good as Finish etc but Tescos own smells like Harpic and drove me mad for ages wondering why the house stank of toilet duck!

Ah, yes have unblocked.

Piglet, it's sort if sandy/gritty deposits.

Will def try cleaner tablet (any idea what it's called)

Thanks for everyone ideas!

AuntLucyInPeru Tue 12-Feb-13 04:09:29

Check the spray arms to see if the little holes have become blocked. They unclick and you can rinse them under the tap. Lemon pips seem to get ours every time.

thereistheball Tue 12-Feb-13 02:02:10

I had this problem too. Try replacing the salt. Also I just did a maintenance cycle using one of those dishwasher cleaners that have a wax plug that melts in hot water and that has helped.

PigletJohn Mon 11-Feb-13 23:44:21

what sort of problem? White powder that you can polish off? White scale that comes off with vinegar? Cloudy marks that are permanent? Sandy deposits?

Rinse aids yes, salt, um, probably? It flashes a light when low.

PartyFops Mon 11-Feb-13 22:39:12

Salt and rinse aid topped up?

Would soda crystals help?

Anyone else has this issu traps and filers all clean.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now