Tips for cleaning our cast iron woodburner?

(8 Posts)
treacletart Fri 15-Feb-13 23:03:12

damp cloth and ash for the glass here too - it works shockingly well

shopalot Tue 12-Feb-13 09:53:53

To clean the glass I use hobrite and it works brilliantly.

Lealucy Tue 12-Feb-13 09:50:59

you can try a glossing shoe polish pad - they are called instant shoe shines....failing that, the black grate polish is the answer, one in a yellow and black pack i used and it was ok.

rainbowsprite1 Tue 12-Feb-13 09:08:34

we have just had our 5 yr old stove serviced & refitted and they cleaned it with black grate polish. it looks amazing but it stinks at the moment while the polish burns off! it is a bit like the yucky new stove smell you get the first few times you light them.

ceres Sun 10-Feb-13 17:09:51

you need some grate polish - any diy shop will sell it.

We just use a damp cloth on ours. For the glass panels, get a ball of damp newspaper, dip it in the ash and wipe the glass with it, cleans it up far more easily than any chemical I have tried.

Cheddars Sun 10-Feb-13 13:28:01

We were advised to clean the glass with vinegar and rub over with newspaper. Not sure about the body of the stove though. Will watch with interest. smile

mildred37 Sun 10-Feb-13 13:23:38

As the title says, really. We've had it for just over 5 years, and in that time it's got various scuffs/marks on it that I'm sure I could get off if I knew how. I've tried just using a damp cloth, but seeing how hot it gets I was loathe to use anything chemical based on it. Any "natural" remedies at all?

TIA!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now