Tips for cleaning our cast iron woodburner?

(8 Posts)
mildred37 Sun 10-Feb-13 13:23:38

As the title says, really. We've had it for just over 5 years, and in that time it's got various scuffs/marks on it that I'm sure I could get off if I knew how. I've tried just using a damp cloth, but seeing how hot it gets I was loathe to use anything chemical based on it. Any "natural" remedies at all?

TIA!

Cheddars Sun 10-Feb-13 13:28:01

We were advised to clean the glass with vinegar and rub over with newspaper. Not sure about the body of the stove though. Will watch with interest. smile

We just use a damp cloth on ours. For the glass panels, get a ball of damp newspaper, dip it in the ash and wipe the glass with it, cleans it up far more easily than any chemical I have tried.

ceres Sun 10-Feb-13 17:09:51

you need some grate polish - any diy shop will sell it.

rainbowsprite1 Tue 12-Feb-13 09:08:34

we have just had our 5 yr old stove serviced & refitted and they cleaned it with black grate polish. it looks amazing but it stinks at the moment while the polish burns off! it is a bit like the yucky new stove smell you get the first few times you light them.

Lealucy Tue 12-Feb-13 09:50:59

you can try a glossing shoe polish pad - they are called instant shoe shines....failing that, the black grate polish is the answer, one in a yellow and black pack i used and it was ok.

shopalot Tue 12-Feb-13 09:53:53

To clean the glass I use hobrite and it works brilliantly.

treacletart Fri 15-Feb-13 23:03:12

damp cloth and ash for the glass here too - it works shockingly well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now