Fluffy towels without a tumble dryer...?

(18 Posts)
DTisMYdoctor Fri 08-Feb-13 12:31:42

Is it possible at all?

We had to replace our washer-dryer with a washing machine for reasons I won't bore you with. We have no room elsewhere for a dryer, and while for the most part we won't miss the dryer function, I am wondering if it's possible to get fluffy towels without one.

Any suggestions or tips welcome!

WowOoo Fri 08-Feb-13 12:35:31

I haven't found a way. Sorry.

I like stiff towels and never tumble them.

You know you can get mini tumble dryers. Our friend has one in her garage.
Or you could give them a good shake and use excessive amounts of fabric conditioner...? (haven't done this!)

DTisMYdoctor Fri 08-Feb-13 12:46:51

Nowhere to put even a mini one unfortunately. I didn't think you should use fabric conditioner with towels?

KB02 Fri 08-Feb-13 12:51:42

No, don't use fabric conditioner. I like scratchy towels too, feels nice on the skin. Maybe you could try rubbing them up against themselves and they may go a bit softer ?

specialsubject Fri 08-Feb-13 12:53:03

mine seem fine after a good blow on the line, although this obviously needs suitable weather, and it works a lot better in warmer temperatures.

fluffy towels just have to be seasonal, like strawberries!

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Fri 08-Feb-13 12:53:27

Vinegar in the final rinse? That's supposed to give softer towels without fabric conditioner.

Themobstersknife Fri 08-Feb-13 12:56:24

This has been my obsession for the last year! I have tried line drying, vinegar, calgon tablets, some gunk from Kleenezee, heated airer... Haven't found a way. Washer broke so have bought a washer dryer!

DTisMYdoctor Fri 08-Feb-13 12:59:37

I'll try vinegar, I'd forgotten about that. Someone else has recommended putting a wet flannel in with dry towels on a fast spin so I may try that too.

I live in Scotland specialsubject, so good weather for line drying is scarcer than for most grin

I may just have to learn to live with scratchy towels sad I'm sure some towels are more inclined to be scratchy than others. We got some new hand towels from M&S recently which aren't too bad after a wash, so I might look at getting some bath sheet versions of those. Our current bath sheets are VERY scratchy. Ah well, saves on body scrubs I suppose...

Themobstersknife Fri 08-Feb-13 13:07:48

I should add though that my washer was crap, so that might have something to do woth it. It is worth trying with just a calgon tablet as it is meant to get rid of all the built up detergent and conditioner, and as a bonus cleans your washer! And don't use fabric conditioner. It does depend on the towel though. All the baby's hooded towels are really soft, even if dried on the radiator.

chocolatespiders Fri 08-Feb-13 13:09:48

Some towels do seem to be softer than others. I like scratchy towels to smile

PigletJohn Fri 08-Feb-13 15:32:41

water softener.

DTisMYdoctor Fri 08-Feb-13 20:21:45

All you strange people who like scratchy towels! grin

Is there such a thing as water softener? Every day is a school day! I live in a soft water area so it's not something that's ever been on my radar.

PigletJohn Fri 08-Feb-13 23:38:43

If you already have soft water, but your towels are scratchy, I would suspect soap residue. Give them a hot hot hot wash with no powder and see if the water foams up with the old soap dissolving.

You can add a cup of washing soda if you have it.

Cotton towels will withstand a very hot wash.

banterbus Fri 08-Feb-13 23:41:48

Why shouldn't you use fabric softener with towels? I always do, am I missing something?

PigletJohn Fri 08-Feb-13 23:42:18

P.s

You know you can stack a drier on top of a washer? Bosch do a special kit to prevent it falling off, I presume other makes do too.

treesntrees Sun 10-Feb-13 17:53:16

It must be the fabric. My one remaining 32 yes 32 year old toweling nappy is beautifully soft and is washed with towels which turn out to be scratchy while it remains so soft!!!

e1y1 Sun 10-Feb-13 18:49:05

banter fabric softener coats the towels and it reduces their ability to absorb water as well as they can without the use of softener. I use it on towels too though, as I like all my laundry to smell like it's just dropped out of a meadow grin

As the purpose of FS is to soften, it coats every fibre of whatever it's used it on.

DT It really does depend upon the towel - 100% Egyptian Cotton Pile is the softest I have ever come across without a dryer - but to replace an entire towel collection with them is likely to be pricey.

Failing that, I have heard using hair conditioner in the wash in place of fabric conditioner can make towels soft; apparently due to the difference of hair conditioner it won't destory absorbency like softener can. However, not 100% sure this is the case - I have just heard of people doing it.

HTH

noisytoys Mon 11-Feb-13 09:09:27

Ironing towels makes them soft

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now