Support group for those trying to get their house sorted

(283 Posts)
CatwantsaTidyHome Sun 03-Feb-13 05:32:03

Hi all, I know it's a crap title! I'm just fed up of living in an unorganized mess!

Tried to do Flylady but got sick of it, I need a less rigid way of sorting my house as and when the mood takes me. grin
I have paperwork chaos, tons of washing to get through and I find the washing up tedious! --so it tends to pile up--
Add to the mix 2 children and an untidy husband and I think you get the picture.

Anyone else living in Chaos want to join?
I won't get on here often but will try my best, Hoping there are others like me so we can support each other in trying to get sorted! smile

vvviola Mon 11-Mar-13 09:02:34

~waves to the newcomers~ welcome aboard!

I'm another with an 18 month old who doesn't sleep. She also has a new favourite game of upending boxes of toys hmm

I'm at university 3 days this week instead of the usual 2, and when you add in the temperature (25 degrees here & muggy) it's a recipe for getting nothing done. Although I did manage to get sheets washed & dried today, to add them to the ironing mountain!

Tomorrow's plan for my 40 minutes between getting home from lectures and heading out for school run is mopping the floors. Although a power map on the couch may be the reality... wink

Well, the bad news is that my friend isn't coming because of the snow sad The good news is that I had already cleaned like a whirlwind before I read her text, so the house looks beautiful for any unexpected visitors hmmgrin
It actually feels really good for it to be clean, although I do need to clean the floors still. I should definitely try and pretend she is visiting every week grin

vviola you iron sheets? shock
They flatten out on the bed (told you I was a slattern) grin

Karbea Mon 11-Mar-13 11:13:42

Hello,

Can I join? My whole life needs to be sorted but I'll start with the house lol!

So far today I've...

Got dressed (although only an old tracksuit).
Had a healthy breakfast.
Taken am vitamins.
Unpacked dishwasher and repacked.
Put a wash on and put away tumble dried clothes.
Hoovered and tidied upstairs, made guest bed.

Have made downstairs more of a "bombs hit it" by bringing down misplaced stuff from upstairs and dumping it in the hall ;)

Karbea Mon 11-Mar-13 11:14:21

Oh and I got out some sausages for dinner tonight so that we don't end up having takeaway again!!!

vvviola Mon 11-Mar-13 11:26:19

Goodjambadjar: I just can't help myself grin I love the feel of crisp cotton sheets on the bed. If I won euro millions I'd employ someone to put freshly ironed sheets on my bed every night.

and if I didn't iron sheets I swear my mother would know & would fly half way around the world to tell me off

grin

OhMyNoReally Mon 11-Mar-13 11:31:14

So I've bf the youngest, done the school run, shouted a lot, spoken to a heating engineer, folded the laundry and filled and put on the dishwasher. Not a lot, just wish sometimes that more of my d. We're in school grin

hi Karbea, good going! I've made DP lunch, tidied and re-messed the kitchen sad and put a wash on. we're both dressed do that's something. I'm currently faffing on here instead of going into town. wink

notso Mon 11-Mar-13 11:50:36

Hello, can I join you please. I am a failed flyer and my pigsty is making me miserable.
I have 4 DC ,the youngest two are 2.3 and 11 months and seem intent on destroying my house. So far the two year old has wiped muddy hands on the hall wall, pulled all my folded laundry over and covered him and the baby in sudocrem! Oh well at least I won't have to bath them this evening hmm.
My trouble is I don't know where to start, I seem to just spend most of the day prepping/cooking/washing up after meals do a bit of washing or run the hoover around and then have no time for anything else except MN.
Any advice please.

vvviola Mon 11-Mar-13 11:57:57

Notso - have a look at habithacker. A little like flylady in some ways, but sets up a lovely system that helps me cycle through the various things that need doing rather than focusing on one thing all the time. If you've a smartphone there's an app called home routines that works very well with it, and has the added fun of being able to tick things off grin

Are you sure its a pigsty? smile
I thing flylady is right on the 15 minutes a room, but since becoming a mum I've cut it to 5 mins!
I also tackle a room clockwise so I don't get distracted by other jobs.
Maybe make a list of the bits that are really annoying you, try and tick something off each day? even if its just wash whites or clean cupboard doors.
don't give yourself an unrealistic goal. Maybe until the end of March? That's nearly 3 weeks.
or make a list per room and tackle a job in a room everyday?

Karbea Mon 11-Mar-13 12:14:10

I could never keep up with flylady and the emails were all a bit too schmaltzy for me.

Ok, stairs hoovered and 4 shelves restocked in the utility room.

Stopping for lunch now.

Next is the living room...

notso Mon 11-Mar-13 12:18:29

vvviola thanks will have a look at habithacker, I have an Ipod so maybe could get the app on there.

goodjambadjar It is pretty bad at the moment. I am ashamed to say that apart from some ferocious nesting episodes it hasn't had a 'proper' clean since I got pregnant with DS2 almost exactly three years ago.
My parents are coming to stay and look after DC for a long weekend in May as DH and I are going to Amsterdam (yay!) and I want to be in a better position by then.

Have put one wash in the dryer and another one on.
Am going to mop hall and peel potatoes for tea.

MrsTwgtwf Mon 11-Mar-13 12:24:55

Hello, I'd like to join. I am mostly chucking stuff out. grin

And trying not to just move stuff from one place in the house to another, or to the garage or to the loft.

obrigada Mon 11-Mar-13 12:26:03

Hi all, haven't had a chance to read through but want to mark my place on this thread, my house is a tip, I work full-time and am what can be termed an "ad break" cleaner, this needs to change but it's hard to break a 20 year habit!

Karbea Mon 11-Mar-13 12:26:42

put another wash on smile

Karbea Mon 11-Mar-13 12:30:15

And dining room now looks like Chinese laundry with drying clothes that can't be tumble dried, I really need to sort out the utility room as once I've moved all the paint and decorating stuff back to the garage I can move the wet clothes in there...

MrsHoarder Mon 11-Mar-13 12:37:48

Beds changed and wet bedding on the rotary drier outside (with everything pegged down 6 times: its windy!) Machine on again and I'll have a swoop around the kitchen whilst DS finishes his lunch (leftover soup, thanks to DH).

Karbea Mon 11-Mar-13 13:33:47

Lounge hoovered, tidied and dusted.

Onto one of my nemesises (sp?) the downstairs bathroom.

MrsHoarder Mon 11-Mar-13 13:59:49

Brought the first lot of washing in, got the second lot out (as DS got steadily grumpier), just come in and its bloody snowing. Unlikely to settle though so I'm leaving the washing where it is. The wind should get it dry anyway, right?

Karbea Mon 11-Mar-13 14:04:46

It's snowing here too, but the ski is really dark, think we might have a storm...

I'm loosing momentum and getting bored, done the bathroom. Now in the study, the windowsill has mud on it as does the wall, darn cats!

Karbea Mon 11-Mar-13 14:05:07

Ski, sky obviously!!!

I went for a walk, mainly to avoid looking at the kitchen. smile
Home now, I can't feel my legs despite two pairs of trousers. using it as an excuse to have a cup of tea instead of putting dinner on. blush

Oh, welcome to the new people smile

Argh!!! Wrote a long post before that one and it has lost it sadangry I haven't got the energy to write it again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now