Support group for those trying to get their house sorted

(283 Posts)
CatwantsaTidyHome Sun 03-Feb-13 05:32:03

Hi all, I know it's a crap title! I'm just fed up of living in an unorganized mess!

Tried to do Flylady but got sick of it, I need a less rigid way of sorting my house as and when the mood takes me. grin
I have paperwork chaos, tons of washing to get through and I find the washing up tedious! --so it tends to pile up--
Add to the mix 2 children and an untidy husband and I think you get the picture.

Anyone else living in Chaos want to join?
I won't get on here often but will try my best, Hoping there are others like me so we can support each other in trying to get sorted! smile

MrsHoarder Fri 08-Mar-13 05:41:19

I might need to join in. Once I've got off MN and done my coursework that is...

vvviola Fri 08-Mar-13 06:19:51

MrsHoarder, I actually find the the more imminent my assignments are, the tidier my house gets. Case in point: this morning I was meant to be writing my dissertation proposal. Instead I scrubbed the fridge, did 2 loads of washing, cleaned the toilets and washed the floor in the bathroom & en suite.

I finally sat down to study after lunch!

LovesBeingWokenEveryNight Fri 08-Mar-13 06:29:52

Hi I'll join, can't promise to post lots but I do need try try and sort this out.

FadBook Fri 08-Mar-13 06:52:05

Vvola- my house was the tidiest it had ever been when I did my post grad qualification grin it's funny how ironing in front of the tv is so much more appealing than starting a 3000 word assignment grin

Hi I'll join! im a terribly messy person and my OH isn't so we clash a bit. not arguments, more a subtle pointing out of stuff that needs doing.
to make matters worse we've just moved so yay... bigger house but boo...boxes everywhere, wardrobes not up yet, no decent storage in spare room. I want to tidy but have nowhere to put anything.
I might have to get that app..sounds handy! I have used some flylady tips in the past but I actually have a life outside of cleaning my house!
I have managed to put a wash on and tidy the kitchen this morning. just having tea, then up to fetch dd (she's just woken up). I AM going to hoover today. smile

dry laundry folded and (mostly) put away. put a wash on. Got DD up changed and dressed stripped and remade DD's cot. Added the newly washed bumper. sorted out 3 of her drawers of smaller clothes ready for friends dd. hung her dresses up in very cramped small wardrobe. sad
Right, time for breakfast, then hoovering!

Mum just rang and now I've lost my cleaning mojo. angry
Are we a sweary bunch? wouldn't want to offend anyone just in case (nearly let loose with many fffffs!)
so now I'm faffing around on here instead. sad

I don't mind a good swear so feel free grin

Iheart, sounds like you got loads done the other day smile

I have no mojo today, think it is partly the weather, I just want it to be warm and sunny out so I can fling all the windows open and not just want to curl up under a blanket sad

Not sure I'll get anymore than the basics done today but I did a bit yesterday so it's not a disaster if I don't smile

Cheers!
I know what you mean about the weather. grey and miserable. sad If I can fling the windows open and get a breeze through it would deffo help.
Right, enough lazing, as long as I hoover I can faff the rest of the day. A Plan! smile

grin

I am going to attempt hoovering later too smile need to get off my arse to make a packed lunch and leave to pick DS up from preschool in 30 mins smile

Fucking bastard arsing bollocks poo bum willy wank.
Hoovered all downstairs, tidied kitchen, dishwasher on, made a brew while cleaning the downstairs loo, then open the door to find dd had tipped a whole beaker of blackcurrant all over the peach coloured hallway carpet. Been on my hands and knees scrubbing the stain and its bought up the smell of wee from where the previous owner had pets that must have pissed on the carpet.
AND now my tea is cold and too strong so have to make another one. angry
So seriously fucked off now.
Also just found out my phone recognises swearwords but won't suggests them on predictive. shock

Ohh, that is the type of incident that would finish me off sad

I have picked DS up from preschool and we have all been to a messy play session, I love those as the kids get to do something constructive but someone else cleans up the mess grin
Back on the sofa and they are both in front of the tv blush

Oops, might have killed it! Hope not. sad
Has anyone made progress? I've been a right lazy bastard since the incident of the spillage in the hallway.

I have been terrible this weekend as my mum's been here sad
Got friends visiting tomorrow though, motivation please!!

What would you prefer Whispers?

"Go on, you can do it, just one job at a time, you'll be done before you know it"

or

"Get off your arse and tidy up!"
grin

Haha grin

If you could arrange to come over and watch the DC while I go and do it, that'd be great grin

I have cleaned the kitchen and hoovered the living room now, so that's something smile
Is it bad that I am hoping that we will have a big snowfall overnight so she won't be able to come? blush

PoppyWearer Sun 10-Mar-13 16:28:48

Can I join, please?

(BTW it's Mother's Day so none of us should be even thinking about this!)

I am normally über-organised but a combination of DC2 getting active last summer (at 13mo) , my having a few weeks of work last summer and health problems after that until Christmas means that I lost control. And now I can't get back on track.

I still have some latent health issues and to make matters worse DC2 is a terrible sleeper at nights, it's a wonder I have the oomph to do the laundry most days!

I have just enough childcare to allow me to get the day-to-day stuff done (basic cleaning and tidying) but boxes of stuff have been chucked in the study every time we have visitors and I need a couple of clear child-free days to get it sorted (not happening).

I am currently trying to clear out all of the old baby stuff and baby clothes through ebay and its going well, but slow-going, and in the meantime the spare room is also a no-go zone, with some overspill into our bedroom hmm. But once it's all gone, there will be a load of space in the loft where we can put old paperwork and so on.

It makes me feel awful, it's not how DH and I like to live and I feel like I have all this baggage. I am contemplating sticking DC2 into nursery for a full week (he currently only does a couple of days) just to get it done, although it would cost am arm and a leg.

I have also bought a load of "storage solutions" from Argos and Ikea to try to get stuff sorted, but of course I can't find the time/energy to unpack them and now they are part of the problem...

Welcome Poppy smile
I really sympathise with the lack of sleep, that makes a massive impact on my motivation to get cleaning done sad
I'm guessing you have a DC of a similar age to mine? (Now 18 mo). It's a really tough age IMO as they can cause maximum destruction but cannot help with cleaning/organising in any way hmmsad DS who is just three is a delight in comparison, he put all his own clothes away the other day gringrin

PoppyWearer Sun 10-Mar-13 20:32:22

Yes indeed, he's 18mo! DC1 is 4yo and will at least tidy up when asked.

Plus I am discovering the delights of messy/active boys with DC2 versus DC1 who is a girl and much tidier overall.

And the tyranny of the school pickup, having to drop whatever I'm doing by 2.45 and head to school...such a pain!

Hi Poppy, welcome.

my dd is also nearly 18 months, I'm only out the room two minutes and there is an inevitable bang that I have to investigate. Or it goes too quiet-see previous post about drink spillageshock
Poppy, you'll get there, try one box at a time, even if its putting together some storage.
Whispers, well done for getting jobs done! was it the enthusiasm or the kick? grin

OhMyNoReally Sun 10-Mar-13 22:13:47

I would also love to join. I'm good at routine but often find I'm watching Sarah and Duck or Ben and Holly and the kitchen is still a mess and the laundry needs done. Plus there's the bf 4 month old and the 4 mile daily school run. We also move in a year so I must not accumulate junk.

Dust and crumbs are my enemy.

Hi Ohmy, welcome!

that kids TV is addictive! I found myself watching Mr Maker the other day, even when I knew she'd been asleep in my arms for 10 minutes!grin

Welcome Ohmy smile

Maybe there is a theme with us all having 18 month olds hmmgrin

Actually the first year of DD's life was the worst as she was a proper Velcro baby so I couldn't get anything done without her screaming her little heart out sad
Things have improved so much since then smile I think the first year was hard because of the sleep deprivation too, that's a massive killer of motivation for me sad

I was going to wakj into town today but its very snowy...but if I stay in, I need to do housework.
Decisions, decisions!
Whispers, is there enough snow your end to put your friend off?smile

walk stupid phone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now