Please talk to me about carpet cleaning.

(11 Posts)
BatshitCrazyWoman Wed 16-Jul-14 14:21:33

I agree, get a professional in. I have a wool carpet in my living room, and had a company that use a steam extraction method to clean carpets. £80 for a very large room, very quick and no machines trailing through the house, they just have a hose running from the unit housed on their van outside. Carpet looked like new afterwards.

May09Bump Mon 14-Jul-14 19:03:24

Really try to get a professional carpet cleaner, faster, less mess and hassle and better result. I have rented and bought a few cleaning machines, and would recommend trying a professional cleaner. I just got my carpet cleaned and now I am putting my machine on ebay.

BellMcEnd Fri 11-Jul-14 11:25:10

Thank you Tony the carpet cleaner - very useful information! Maybe we should have a "professional advice" corner with people like you and piglet john! grin

evarr Fri 11-Jul-14 10:56:46

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Muddle2000 Wed 04-Jun-14 11:20:42

You need to have a carpet like that cleaned within 3 years really I did it and it was worth it They put stainguard on it as well They do it so quickly and efficiently and I found mine via a leaflet through my door In fact they had a special offer on and they ring me when they have anoffer

Lagoonablue Wed 04-Jun-14 07:06:58

Second using a pro cleaner. I moved house and got them in for lounge carpet and hall and landing. Made a massive difference. Really clean and fresh. They were so quick and the carpet was pretty much dry in an hour.

Cost around £70 which was a bargain!

victoriacrooks Tue 03-Jun-14 06:10:48

I suggest you hire some professionals to help you clean up your carpets as they will clean the carpets efficiently and keep your carpets looking shinier and new. You can check the carpet cleaning sydney center for the cleaning process they provide and thus hire them.

Urbanvoltaire Wed 06-Feb-13 07:45:27

I have a VAX (orange bucket one, not upright), and it's been a handy cleaner in our house. I got it 10 years ago for £150 & it's paid for itself over the years.

I use it every 2-3 months on downstairs carpet (wool) & rugs & I've found it sufficient at getting out the grime & stains. I know a prof cleaning machine would be better but it's been fine for me. The only thing is I can't shampoo the stairs as there's no attachment for that.

Hth - just an alternative view!

DirtMaster Tue 05-Feb-13 20:09:55

Hi MoominmammasHandbag

Tony the carpet cleaner here.

I hope no one minds me posting here! My wife uses this forum, she showed me this post and thought I should put my professional point across smile

The black lines around the edges of your carpet could be two things. a) it could be a build up of dirt that has accumulated over the years (its akward to vaccum out! or b) it could and more likely be filtration marks.
Filtration marks are easly removed by any half decent carpet cleaner, BUT the mark will probably reappear i'm afraid. Maybe a month or several months down the line. The only way to stop them from reppearing would be to lay ply board down over the floor boards, creating an air tight environment thus stopping dirty air flow. These filtration marks will very likely appear even if you buy a new carpet!

The "my carpets get dirty quicker" myth. Two things, when you buy a carpet it might of had a protector applied to it. This protector on average lasts 2-3 years. Since your carpet is over 7 years this has probably worn away. A 7 year old carpet thats not been cleaned before will be a worn carpet. A good carpet cleaner will be able to bring the carpet up to a very good standard i.e. removing stains, pollutant, soils, grime etc fully sanatising the carpet. But the carpet will still be a 7 year old carpet. The fibres of the carpet will be worn so

As long as the carpets are thoroughly flushed out leaving no residue in the carpet then they wont get dirtier quicker.

Machine like bissel, vax and the dreaded rug doctor are very poor at cleaning carpets. They are highly underpowered in both extraction phase and putting down product stage. I have a long list of ex-rug doctor/bissel users as customers now smile

My advice to you is to get a professional carpet cleaner in. Its back breaking work doing trying to do a good job with a hire machine. A pro will charge between £30 - £60 a room depending on size of the room, condtion of the carpet, type of carpet etc. A hire machine is around £40 once you've bought the detergents.

Let me know which part of the country your in and i'll put a message on the a carpet cleaners forum that I take part in.

Thanks
Tony

zumo Sat 02-Feb-13 18:13:43

Nothing wrong with being tight, I can peel an Orange in my pocket.
I have also heard this but ours has been fine, once you claean it you tend to notice the dirt quicker.
I have had a valeting machine as long as we have had kids, its fantastic but chemical is the key
We have one of these
http://www.buycleaningsuppliesonline.co.uk/product/166/numatic-gve-370-2-george-3-in-1-vacuum-cleaner-kit-a26a-green

Contact Autosmart, and get the local reps number, they drive a set route each week around local garages and sell some excellent but cheap cleaning products, I use Berry Bliss carpet shampoo, for cleaning carpets, trainers, uphostery.
I use G101 for cleaning a leather couch I know you shoudlt but it works really well then feed after, it also removes stubbon stains from carpets clothes etc, cleans the bath too.
Its all about £12 a gallon, I clean loads of stuff and use about 2 a year so good value.

MoominmammasHandbag Sat 02-Feb-13 15:45:52

I have some good quality wool carpet on my stairs. I would describe it as "lion" coloured, so fairly light. It's not stained or anything and we are a shoe free household, but after 7 years it is looking slightly grubby, especially at the edges because I am obviously a bit slack with the Hoover.
I was going to get one of those carpet washer things but a friend tells me that they remove the lanolin from the wool and afterwards the carpet gets dirty a lot more easily. Is this true?
The other option I was considering was to use the leftover bit of carpet we have to replace the bottom few treads. Anyone ever done this? (And yes, I am a bit of a tightwad grin.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now